    touch the screen.

    Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 24, 2011

  2. On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:37:37 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there any way to clean the monitor screen of a flat computer monitor?
    >Philips model ID 190B8CB175
    >
    >There are very small white spots on the outside of the screen. The letters
    >and the cursor are underneath them. It looks as though something has
    >splashed small spots on it. They only show when the sun shines on it. They
    >look black or grey in shadow.
    >
    >When the computer man brought the flat screen monitor he warned me not to
    >touch the screen.
    >
    >Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.
    >
    >Geopelia

    Use a 2" good quality Synthetic brush to remove any dirt or sand first
    then get one of those Gel with a cloth cleaning kits, they are not
    cheep..
    Frank Williams, Dec 24, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you, I'll try the cloth.
    I'm afraid of putting pressure on the screen, not being used to flat ones.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Dec 25, 2011
  4. Geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    > Thank you, I'll try the cloth.
    > I'm afraid of putting pressure on the screen, not being used to flat
    > ones.

    Hi Geo,

    I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths that
    you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an addition
    of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth /
    spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the same
    rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

    [*] Not all micro-fibre cloths are created equally. Some are actually quite
    coarse and I wouldn't wipe my....... car with them. However, there are some
    beautiful, soft and supple ones to be had if you look around enough.
    Surprisingly my best and favourite came from a "$2 Shop". There is an
    excellent (but too small) one in with my spectacles.

    [**] If you take the 'spritz the screen' option be *VERY* careful that the
    liquid doesn't run down the screen and behind the bottom bezel. There be
    dragons! Hissy, spitty, sparky ones. I only spritz the screen in the case of
    heavy [fly / sputum] soiling, and am very careful. Lying the monitor on it's
    back can be useful sometimes.

    If you're a little more technical-minded a solution of pure-ish water and
    isopropanol / isopropyl alcohol can be useful in cases where there's 'skin
    oils' on the screen and the white vinegar solution doesn't move it. I go up
    to as high as 50% isoprop but wouldn't recommend that high a concentration
    to a non-techie type. Maybe 30%?

    I even have a spritzer that has a mix of water / isoprop / white vinegar
    (acetic acid) for really grubby screens. I always use a spritzer / spray
    bottle and, depending on the case, either spray the cloth of the screen
    directly. I would suggest spraying the cloth to start with, and whenever
    possible as, no matter how careful you are, water and electronics don't mix
    (or if they do it's usually with a flash/bang).

    Best of luck Geo, and I hope you and your beau had a good Xmas.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Dec 26, 2011
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2011-12-26, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
    >>> Thank you, I'll try the cloth.
    >>> I'm afraid of putting pressure on the screen, not being used to flat
    >>> ones.

    >> Hi Geo,
    >>
    >> I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths
    >> that
    >> you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an
    >> addition
    >> of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth
    >> /
    >> spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the
    >> same
    >> rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

    > Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
    > just
    > fine and then you throw them in the wash.
    >
    > They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
    > allowed.
    >
    > To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
    > sheet of glass.

    Would that be a Chux cloth?

    I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
    climbing the TV screen a while ago.
    Geopelia, Dec 26, 2011
  6. On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi Geo,
    >>>
    >>> I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths
    >>> that
    >>> you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an
    >>> addition
    >>> of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth
    >>> /
    >>> spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the
    >>> same
    >>> rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

    >> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
    >> just
    >> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
    >>
    >> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
    >> allowed.
    >>
    >> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
    >> sheet of glass.

    >Would that be a Chux cloth?

    A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.

    Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

    Frank Williams, Dec 26, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 27/12/11 00:41, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Gordon"<> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi Geo,
    >>>
    >>> I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths
    >>> that
    >>> you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an
    >>> addition
    >>> of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth
    >>> /
    >>> spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the
    >>> same
    >>> rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

    >> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
    >> just
    >> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
    >>
    >> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
    >> allowed.
    >>
    >> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
    >> sheet of glass.

    > Would that be a Chux cloth?

    No, those are too harsh.

    > I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
    > climbing the TV screen a while ago.

    Ho, ho, too much christmas gin, Geo?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Dec 27, 2011
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >>> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
    >>> just
    >>> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
    >>>
    >>> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
    >>> allowed.
    >>>
    >>> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
    >>> sheet of glass.

    >>Would that be a Chux cloth?

    > A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
    >

    > Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

    Would Dick Smith have one?

    Geopelia, Dec 27, 2011
  9. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Frank Williams"<> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia"<>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Gordon"<> wrote in message

    >>> Would that be a Chux cloth?

    >> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
    >>

    >> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

    > Would Dick Smith have one?

    Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
    screens.

    Enkidu, Dec 27, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 12/27/2011 4:48 PM, Geopelia wrote:

    >> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

    > Would Dick Smith have one?

    Yeah for about $30 tho.

    All they are is a microfiber cloth and a tiny undersized bottle of
    random liquids.
    Richard, Dec 27, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
    > On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Frank Williams"<> wrote in message

    >>> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
    >>>

    >>> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

    >> Would Dick Smith have one?
    >>

    > Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
    > screens.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
    TV tube in it.

    The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
    screen.
    But it's readable.
    Geopelia, Dec 27, 2011
  12. Geopelia

    > On 27/12/11 00:41, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Gordon"<> wrote in message

    >>> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
    >>> just
    >>> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
    >>>
    >>> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
    >>> allowed.
    >>>
    >>> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
    >>> sheet of glass.

    >> Would that be a Chux cloth?
    >>

    > No, those are too harsh.
    > >
    >> I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
    >> climbing the TV screen a while ago.
    >>

    > Ho, ho, too much christmas gin, Geo?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    No, just tomato juice!

    I put out all the assorted livestock that gets in here. With being around so
    many poisonous creatures in Australia and New Guinea, Hubby won't touch
    them.
    But at least a Lockwood home has no scrim for mice to breed behind.
    Geopelia, Dec 27, 2011
  13. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
    >> On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Frank Williams"<> wrote in message

    >>> Would Dick Smith have one?
    >>>

    >> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
    >> screens.
    >>

    > This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
    > TV tube in it.
    >
    > The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
    > screen.
    > But it's readable.

    Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a
    proper digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I
    can only see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital
    monitor should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask
    your computer man next time you get him out.

    Enkidu, Dec 27, 2011
  14. On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:48:55 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Would that be a Chux cloth?

    >> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
    >>

    >> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

    >Would Dick Smith have one?

    All TV shops have them, DSE has a good one made by Sanus Elements
    LCD/Plasma Screen Cleaning Gel

    Not Cheap here, the Better Sanus one with a Brush and case sells in the
    US for $20us but have seen it listed even by DSE for $70.

    I got a Puney one at a fire sale for some $19 but they are listed in
    some shops at $60, comes with a 2 sided cloth and the Gel.

    Frank Williams, Dec 28, 2011
  15. On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:08:01 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <cliffp@bogus> wrote in message
    >> On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Frank Williams"<> wrote in message

    >>> Would Dick Smith have one?
    >>>

    >> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
    >> screens.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    >This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
    >TV tube in it.
    >
    >The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
    >screen.
    >But it's readable.

    Is this a CRT or a LCD screen, any type of cloth or even Toilet paper
    can be used on a CRT monitor..

    UNLESS ITS ONE WITH THE ANTIREFLECTION COATED SCREENS, LOOK LIKE A BLUE
    FILM, THEY ARE VERY EASY TO GET SCRATCHED.
    Frank Williams, Dec 28, 2011
  16. On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:11:08 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

    >On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
    >>> screens.
    >>>

    >> This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a big
    >> TV tube in it.
    >>
    >> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
    >> screen.
    >> But it's readable.
    >>

    >Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a

    No THAT IS WHAT HE IS REFERING TO, not a Digital LCD monitor at all.

    Frank Williams, Dec 28, 2011
  17. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-12-27, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:
    > On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a TV
    >> screen.
    >> But it's readable.
    >>

    > Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a
    > proper digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I
    > can only see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital
    > monitor should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask
    > your computer man next time you get him out.

    Agree. The LCD screen while made up of lots of dots, they should not be
    obvious in use.

    Where LCD screens get fussy is they need to be driven at the native
    resolution of the screen. Otherwise things get really poor quality. letters
    and icons get all fuzzy around the edges. CRT screens can change resolution
    with must less loss of quality.

    Geo, did you get another monitor recently? If so I would suggest that you
    ask your computer man the next time he is around to check that the graphics
    card resolution is correct for the screen.

    My thoughts, 2cents worth
    Gordon, Dec 28, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-12-27, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > I put out all the assorted livestock that gets in here. With being around so
    > many poisonous creatures in Australia and New Guinea, Hubby won't touch
    > them.
    > But at least a Lockwood home has no scrim for mice to breed behind.

    Gosh you are really showing your age here Geo. When did scrim on the walls
    go out? When lath and plaster came in?

    Well maybe not

    http://www.bestbrook.com/scrim.htm
    Gordon, Dec 28, 2011
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2011-12-27, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I put out all the assorted livestock that gets in here. With being around
    >> so
    >> many poisonous creatures in Australia and New Guinea, Hubby won't touch
    >> them.
    >> But at least a Lockwood home has no scrim for mice to breed behind.
    >>

    > Gosh you are really showing your age here Geo. When did scrim on the walls
    > go out? When lath and plaster came in?
    >
    > Well maybe not
    >
    > http://www.bestbrook.com/scrim.htm

    Those tatty old villas in Devonport had scrim when we were living there.
    They may have been modernised by now, but the council is so fussy about any
    changes.
    That could be a beautiful suburb with modern housing. But I expect the next
    step will be high rise apartments.
    Geopelia, Dec 28, 2011
  20. Geopelia

    > On 27/12/11 23:08, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu"<cliffp@bogus> wrote in message

    >>> Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
    >>> screens.
    >>>

    >> This isn't a laptop, it's a proper monitor but flat instead of having a
    >> big
    >> TV tube in it.
    >>
    >> The print isn't as clear as the last one, it shows individual dots like a
    >> TV
    >> screen.
    >> But it's readable.
    >>

    > Hmm, I presume that you don't mean a 'flat tube' CRT monitor, but a proper
    > digital monitor? If so you should not be able to see the dots! I can only
    > see them with a magnifying glass on my (cheap) one. A digital monitor
    > should definitely be sharper than a CRT. I suggest that you ask your
    > computer man next time you get him out.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thanks, I'll ask him. I don't think there is a tube in it, it's so thin.
    The letters are rather like the pictures in an old newspaper.
    I've no idea what kind of monitor it is. It's a Philips 190B.
    Geopelia, Dec 28, 2011