    ICQ: 59050073
    Yahoo!: Annika22_98
    MSN: Helann
    Annika J, Aug 7, 2003

  2. "Annika J" <> wrote in
    news:hGAYa.25882$:

    > Hi all can someone tell me how i can clean my keyboard without taking out
    > the keys to clean it?

    I seriously doubt that you will be able to do a proper job of it without
    removing the keytops - and, perhaps, even cleaning them individually - FUN!
    (not!) [ask me how I know].

    Ignore the dozy buggers who say to put it in the dishwasher or washing
    machine, or to take it into the shower with you.

    I got so sick of cleaning the keyboard every couple of months that I now
    cover it with a (loose) layer of cling wrap, and change that every so often
    instead. Works a treat.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - Strength of mind: being able to eat just _one_ chippie.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Annika J

    °Mike° Guest

    If you want to clean it thoroughly, it should be taken apart.

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:47:41 GMT, in
    <hGAYa.25882$>
    Annika J scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Annika J

    MrB Guest

    No guarantee, but I have used a small paintbrush, detergent, and water. I
    thoroughly cleaned the visible parts of the keyboard using the above
    mentioned materials. I rinsed with clear water. I dried it in the sun for a
    couple of days, and it worked fine and looked like new.

    A lot of work for something that can be replaced for $7. It was an
    experiment more than anything.

    MrB, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Annika J

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:47:41 GMT, "Annika J" <> wrote:
    >Hi all can someone tell me how i can clean my keyboard without taking out
    >the keys to clean it?

    Turn it over and shake anything loose out, then vacuum.
    To clean the dirt, grime, and cigarette smoke off the keys:
    Pour one cup of "Clorox Cleanup" into a small bucket, or large bowl.
    (Use rubber gloves, this stuff is hard on the skin, but it does much better
    job than "Fantastic", or any other cleanser.)
    Dip an old washcloth in the bowl and wring out as much as you can.
    Wipe the keyboard down, repeat as necessary to get all the flat surfaces.
    To get between the keys, wrap the washcloth around an old credit card and
    slide it back and forth horizontally between rows, and vertically between
    colums. Use the corners to get between adjacent keys that don't line up
    vertically. When done, repeat using just clean water to rinse everything
    off. It takes about 10 minutes and it comes out looking like brand new.

    Unk
    Unk, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Annika J

    Miggsee Guest

    Annika,
    If it's that nasty, and you don't want to try these suggestions, buy a new
    one. They aren't that expensive!

    Miggsee, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Annika J

    Jim Guest

    You actually really CAN wash it in the dishwasher IF you can unplug the
    cord and take the thing apart. If not, I wouldn't advise. But, if the
    thing is completely dry, you can plug it back up and there will be no
    problem. But if it's still damp at all, you'll have a problem...so
    *don't do that!*

    Jim, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Annika J

    Boomer Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote message ID

    > You actually really CAN wash it in the dishwasher IF you can
    > unplug the cord and take the thing apart. If not, I wouldn't
    > advise. But, if the thing is completely dry, you can plug it
    > back up and there will be no problem. But if it's still damp at
    > all, you'll have a problem...so *don't do that!*

    I've "washed" my keyboards many times.
    The key words are "dry thoroughly".

    Boomer, Aug 8, 2003
  9. "Jimbo" <> wrote in

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> "Annika J" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hi all can someone tell me how i can clean my keyboard without
    >> > taking

    > out
    >> > the keys to clean it?
    >> >

    >> I seriously doubt that you will be able to do a proper job of it
    >> without removing the keytops - and, perhaps, even cleaning them
    >> individually -

    > FUN!
    >> (not!) [ask me how I know].
    >>
    >> Ignore the dozy buggers who say to put it in the dishwasher or
    >> washing machine, or to take it into the shower with you.
    >>
    >> I got so sick of cleaning the keyboard every couple of months that I
    >> now cover it with a (loose) layer of cling wrap, and change that
    >> every so

    > often
    >> instead. Works a treat.

    > not necessary....buy a plastic cover that fits over your standard
    > keyboard....fit's nicely and looks great....some people even type over
    > the plastic...

    I agree, not necessary ..... but considering a plastic cover such as you
    describe costs in the vicinity of $50 where I live (New Zealand) and a
    10 metre roll of GladWrap costs $3-odd, I know which one I'll be using,
    thank-you-very-much.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - KEEP the damned cheese! - I just want out of the trap!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 8, 2003
  10. Annika J

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > "Annika J" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi all can someone tell me how i can clean my keyboard without
    >> taking out the keys to clean it?
    >>

    > I seriously doubt that you will be able to do a proper job of it
    > without removing the keytops - and, perhaps, even cleaning them
    > individually - FUN! (not!) [ask me how I know].
    >
    > Ignore the dozy buggers who say to put it in the dishwasher or washing
    > machine, or to take it into the shower with you.

    While it's not a good idea to get water into a keyboard, I have a couple of keyboards
    that are not worth much and they were pretty grubby, so I decided to take a chance.

    I got a nail brush with soap and water on it and scrubbed the keys thoroughly. I then
    washed the soapy water out with clean water and put the keyboard in the sun to dry.

    It cleaned up nicely and is still working months later.

    > I got so sick of cleaning the keyboard every couple of months that I
    > now cover it with a (loose) layer of cling wrap, and change that
    > every so often instead. Works a treat.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Aug 9, 2003
  11. Annika J

    Bri. Guest

    longshotjohn7 typed...
    > Barry OGrady wrote:
    >> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >>> "Annika J" <> wrote in

    >> While it's not a good idea to get water into a keyboard, I have a
    >> couple of keyboards that are not worth much and they were pretty
    >> grubby, so I decided to take a chance.
    >>
    >> I got a nail brush with soap and water on it and scrubbed the keys
    >> thoroughly. I then washed the soapy water out with clean water and
    >> put the keyboard in the sun to dry.
    >>
    >> It cleaned up nicely and is still working months later.
    >>

    >> -Barry
    >> ========
    >> Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
    >> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    >> Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    > You got lucky...that's all, Unbeliever.

    I agree with Brian, on this one.
    There are many water cooled, electrical/electronic panels where I work
    and pressurised water leaks are quite common.
    The solution is to dry them thoroughly, with (dry) compressed air.
    I can't recall a 'subsequently related' problem.

    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Aug 9, 2003
  12. Annika J

    Bri. Guest

    Brian H¹© typed...
    [snip]

    > The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is something
    > corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.

    You're showing your age ;-)
    I've known this as "killed spirits of salts" for many a year now.

    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Aug 9, 2003
  13. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    > longshotjohn7 said:
    >
    >> Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>> While it's not a good idea to get water into a keyboard, I have a
    >>> couple of keyboards that are not worth much and they were pretty
    >>> grubby, so I decided to take a chance.
    >>>
    >>> I got a nail brush with soap and water on it and scrubbed the keys
    >>> thoroughly. I then washed the soapy water out with clean water and
    >>> put the keyboard in the sun to dry.
    >>>
    >>> It cleaned up nicely and is still working months later.
    >>>

    >>> -Barry

    >> You got lucky...that's all, Unbeliever.

    > Why?
    >
    > There is no danger in washing a non-charged circuit board, letting it
    > dry thoroughly and then putting it back in use.
    > Have you never bought circuit board kits?
    > The type where you draw your own circuits, emerse in acid, then rinse
    > in water to get rid of the acid?
    > The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is something
    > corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.

    Can you tell us, under what circumstances would you need/want to wash the
    circuit board when cleaning a keyboard?

    --
    Nicolaas.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 9, 2003
  14. Annika J

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    >> longshotjohn7 said:

    >>> You got lucky...that's all, Unbeliever.

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> There is no danger in washing a non-charged circuit board, letting it
    >> dry thoroughly and then putting it back in use.
    >> Have you never bought circuit board kits?
    >> The type where you draw your own circuits, emerse in acid, then rinse
    >> in water to get rid of the acid?
    >> The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is something
    >> corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.
    >>

    > Can you tell us, under what circumstances would you need/want to wash the
    > circuit board when cleaning a keyboard?

    How about when it's extremely dirty?
    Some people smoke, eat jam doughnuts and drink when they are in front of their
    computer.
    Brian H¹©, Aug 9, 2003
  15. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    > Nicolaas Hawkins said:
    >
    >> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    >>> Why?
    >>>
    >>> There is no danger in washing a non-charged circuit board, letting
    >>> it dry thoroughly and then putting it back in use.
    >>> Have you never bought circuit board kits?
    >>> The type where you draw your own circuits, emerse in acid, then
    >>> rinse in water to get rid of the acid?
    >>> The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is
    >>> something corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.
    >>>

    >> Can you tell us, under what circumstances would you need/want to wash
    >> the circuit board when cleaning a keyboard?

    > How about when it's extremely dirty?
    > Some people smoke, eat jam doughnuts and drink when they are in front
    > of their computer.

    Nope, I don't buy that. In every keyboard I have ever disassembled (and
    that's more than the odd few!) there has been a barrier of some sort
    between the keytops and the circuit board that would prevent C*R*A*P from
    falling directly on the PCB (spilled liquids excepted, of course).

    --
    Nicolaas.
    - Spring makes everything young again except humans.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 9, 2003
  16. "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    > > There is no danger in washing a non-charged circuit board, letting it
    > > dry thoroughly and then putting it back in use.
    > > Have you never bought circuit board kits?
    > > The type where you draw your own circuits, emerse in acid, then rinse
    > > in water to get rid of the acid?
    > > The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is something
    > > corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.
    > >

    > Can you tell us, under what circumstances would you need/want to wash the
    > circuit board when cleaning a keyboard?

    I think the point was that there is no danger in immersing a non-charged
    board in water so long as you let it dry out completely before running a
    current through it. He was just using the above as an example...

    --
    Although if you have hard water that leaves bad mineral deposits, those may
    affect your keyboard...
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 9, 2003
  17. Annika J

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    >> Nicolaas Hawkins said:
    >>
    >>> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    >>> Can you tell us, under what circumstances would you need/want to wash
    >>> the circuit board when cleaning a keyboard?

    >> How about when it's extremely dirty?
    >> Some people smoke, eat jam doughnuts and drink when they are in front
    >> of their computer.
    >>

    > Nope, I don't buy that. In every keyboard I have ever disassembled (and
    > that's more than the odd few!) there has been a barrier of some sort
    > between the keytops and the circuit board that would prevent C*R*A*P from
    > falling directly on the PCB (spilled liquids excepted, of course).

    Never opened up a Compaq then?
    Brian H¹©, Aug 10, 2003
  18. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote:

    > Bri. said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© typed...
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is something
    >>> corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.

    >> You're showing your age ;-)
    >> I've known this as "killed spirits of salts" for many a year now.

    >A mistake cost me about £100 a few years ago, and I only dabbed

    You misspelled 'dribbled'.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 10, 2003
  19. Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:

    >"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in

    >> longshotjohn7 said:

    >>> You got lucky...that's all, Unbeliever.

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> There is no danger in washing a non-charged circuit board, letting it
    >> dry thoroughly and then putting it back in use.
    >> Have you never bought circuit board kits?
    >> The type where you draw your own circuits, emerse in acid, then rinse
    >> in water to get rid of the acid?
    >> The only thing that should be avoided on a circuit board is something
    >> corrosive, the name "Bakers Fluid" springs to mind.
    >>

    >Can you tell us, under what circumstances would you need/want to wash the
    >circuit board when cleaning a keyboard?

    There is no us.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 10, 2003
  20. Monsignor Larville Jones MD <> wrote in

    If you say so. Now, SHOO!

    --
    Nicolaas.
    - I really must stop reading my mail before I have my morning coffee.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 10, 2003