    especially on the keyboard which doesn't have a smooth surface. Anyone
    out there know of a good cleaner for this? Thanks.

    , Apr 29, 2004

  2. Boomer Guest

    did say:

    > I have a older system I rebuilt for my daughter. The case is
    > soiled in spots, as is the keyboard. I've tried a couple of
    > different cleaning agents to get the grime off, but some of it is
    > very stubborn, especially on the keyboard which doesn't have a
    > smooth surface. Anyone out there know of a good cleaner for this?
    > Thanks.

    Keyboard?

    Shower. Dishwasher, upper rack. Sink using warm water.
    Soft brush.. etc.

    Drain keyboard. Use a hair dryer to blow out the excess moisture and
    stand on edge to dry for a day or so.

    Boomer, Apr 29, 2004

  3. one_red_eye Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have a older system I rebuilt for my daughter. The case is soiled in
    > spots, as is the keyboard. I've tried a couple of different cleaning
    > agents to get the grime off, but some of it is very stubborn,
    > especially on the keyboard which doesn't have a smooth surface. Anyone
    > out there know of a good cleaner for this? Thanks.

    I once spent a day popping the keys out of my keyboard and taking it apart.
    I washed the pieces in my dishwasher.

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 29, 2004
  4. On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:46:24 -0400, <> wrote:

    > I have a older system I rebuilt for my daughter. The case is soiled in
    > spots, as is the keyboard. I've tried a couple of different cleaning
    > agents to get the grime off, but some of it is very stubborn,
    > especially on the keyboard which doesn't have a smooth surface. Anyone
    > out there know of a good cleaner for this? Thanks.

    When I did preventive maintenance on computers, I found that 70% isoropyl
    rubbing alcohol
    worked very well on most surfaces/things.

    Joolala Mompox, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Unk Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:46:24 -0400, wrote:

    >I have a older system I rebuilt for my daughter. The case is soiled in
    >spots, as is the keyboard. I've tried a couple of different cleaning
    >agents to get the grime off, but some of it is very stubborn,
    >especially on the keyboard which doesn't have a smooth surface. Anyone
    >out there know of a good cleaner for this? Thanks.

    Turn the keyboard over and shake anything loose out, then vacuum.
    To clean the dirt, grime, and cigarette smoke, etc. off the keys,
    pour one cup of "Clorox Cleanup" into a small bucket, or large bowl.
    (Use rubber gloves, this stuff is hard on the skin, but it does MUCH better
    job than "Fantastic", or any other cleanser.)
    Dip an old washcloth in the bowl and wring out as much as you can.
    Wipe the keyboard down, repeat as necessary to get all the flat surfaces.
    To get between the keys, wrap the washcloth around an old credit card and
    slide it back and forth horizontally between rows, and vertically between
    colums. Use the corners to get between adjacent keys that don't line up
    vertically. When done, repeat using just clean water to rinse everything
    off. It takes about 10 minutes and it comes out looking like brand new.

    Use the remaining "Clorox Cleanup" to clean the case.

    Unk, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Throw the keyboard in a warm soapy bath - let it soak for about 5 minutes
    and then let all the water drain out. Take a hair dryer to it after that
    for about 15 minutes. Let it air dry for a couple of days after that...you
    don't want to plug it back in if there is *any* water remaining.

    It works wonders for getting spilt Pepsi, wine, etc. out from between the
    keys. You don't even have to pop the keys out or take it apart in any way.
    All the grime and crumbs will get water-logged and literally run out with
    the rinse water. This method has always raised eyebrows - but I've been
    doing it this way for at least 15 years and never had a problem with it.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
    Managed, Dedicated and Colo Server Pkgs.

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Apr 29, 2004