cleaning flat-screen monitors

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mrs BeebleBrock, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop screen?

    Mrs BeebleBrock, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Mrs BeebleBrock

    SchoolTech Guest

    Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    > Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    > what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop screen?

    Damp cloth, warm water.

    SchoolTech, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Jerry Guest

    Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    > Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    > what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop screen?

    Like schooltech said, just use water. A very soft cloth will work OK.
    I picked up a chamois like wipe somewhere that can be moistened, wrung
    out and does an excellent job. Don't use any solvents, soaps, or
    anything but water. Some stuff can start disolving the screen, and you
    can imagine what that looks like.

    Jerry, Mar 15, 2006
  4. "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >> Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    >> what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop
    >> screen?

    > Damp cloth, warm water.

    of course , water does not disolve grease based stains so well - i actually
    use meths - haven't melted a screen yet but I'd do a patch test first.

    Or, dick smith sell lcd cleaning wipes which are good too, think these were
    $10 from memory for a tube of 50??

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:34:06 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >"SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    >> Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >>> Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    >>> what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop
    >>> screen?

    >> Damp cloth, warm water.

    >of course , water does not disolve grease based stains so well - i actually
    >use meths - haven't melted a screen yet but I'd do a patch test first.
    >
    >Or, dick smith sell lcd cleaning wipes which are good too, think these were
    >$10 from memory for a tube of 50??

    Most of the wipes can harden the plastic screen cover, water on a damp cloth
    is all I use or a Scotch Brite band lens cleaning cloth, New World has them
    here.

    , Mar 15, 2006
  6. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Adam Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:45:52 +1300, wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:34:06 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    >wrote:

    >Most of the wipes can harden the plastic screen cover, water on a damp cloth
    >is all I use or a Scotch Brite band lens cleaning cloth, New World has them
    >here.

    I use a hand spray glass cleaner. Though I don't know wether it's
    damaging the coating <??>, I think that choice of cloth is dead
    important. Something like kitchen roll is bad - it's actually quite
    abrasive - so I agree - a proper lens cleaning cloth is a must.

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 15, 2006
  7. Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:

    > Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    > what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop screen?

    Thanks for the suggestions. And when it's clean, what's the tip for
    stopping people from leaning over you and pointing at things on your
    screen? Honestly, I want to bite their fingers off sometimes, it's so
    annoying.

    Mrs BeebleBrock, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:39:20 +1300, Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:

    > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >
    >> Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    >> what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop screen?

    > Thanks for the suggestions. And when it's clean, what's the tip for
    > stopping people from leaning over you and pointing at things on your
    > screen? Honestly, I want to bite their fingers off sometimes, it's so
    > annoying.

    You got it... bite their fingers off :)

    Steve, Mar 16, 2006
  9. Steve wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:39:20 +1300, Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >
    >> Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >>
    >>> Aside from the expensive ($18 for 10) wipes from Corporate Express,
    >>> what's a good way to safely clean a flat screen monitor - eg laptop
    >>> screen?

    >> Thanks for the suggestions. And when it's clean, what's the tip for
    >> stopping people from leaning over you and pointing at things on your
    >> screen? Honestly, I want to bite their fingers off sometimes, it's so
    >> annoying.

    > You got it... bite their fingers off :)

    LOL, I feel like that sometimes. I have a mate who constantly touches my
    screen when he points to something. However, I wouldn't put his fingers in
    my mouth. <g>. Maybe some secateurs by the keyboard?
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 16, 2006
  10. Mrs BeebleBrock

    MarkH Guest

    "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote in

    > Steve wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the suggestions. And when it's clean, what's the tip for
    >>> stopping people from leaning over you and pointing at things on your
    >>> screen? Honestly, I want to bite their fingers off sometimes, it's
    >>> so annoying.

    >> You got it... bite their fingers off :)

    > LOL, I feel like that sometimes. I have a mate who constantly touches
    > my screen when he points to something. However, I wouldn't put his
    > fingers in my mouth. <g>. Maybe some secateurs by the keyboard?

    NO! Blood spraying onto your screen is not what you want!

    The most effective way of stopping people touching your screen is to give a
    hard punch to their testes when they do it, they will learn very quickly to
    stop touching your screen.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 16, 2006
  11. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Shane Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Steve wrote:

    >>> You got it... bite their fingers off :)

    >> LOL, I feel like that sometimes. I have a mate who constantly touches
    >> my screen when he points to something. However, I wouldn't put his
    >> fingers in my mouth. <g>. Maybe some secateurs by the keyboard?

    > NO! Blood spraying onto your screen is not what you want!
    >
    > The most effective way of stopping people touching your screen is to give
    > a hard punch to their testes when they do it, they will learn very quickly
    > to stop touching your screen.

    I tell you whats stopped me touching monitors lately, and thats frikkin
    static on the CRT screens
    I got a wicked belt off one at tech the other day.. so now I use a
    vivid :)

    Shane, Mar 16, 2006
  12. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:42:07 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Steve wrote:

    >>> You got it... bite their fingers off :)

    >> LOL, I feel like that sometimes. I have a mate who constantly touches my
    >> screen when he points to something. However, I wouldn't put his fingers
    >> in my mouth. <g>. Maybe some secateurs by the keyboard?

    > NO! Blood spraying onto your screen is not what you want!
    >
    > The most effective way of stopping people touching your screen is to give
    > a hard punch to their testes when they do it, they will learn very quickly
    > to stop touching your screen.

    The last person to touch my screen had no testes at all!

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Mar 16, 2006
  13. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Phstpok Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > I tell you whats stopped me touching monitors lately, and thats frikkin
    > static on the CRT screens
    > I got a wicked belt off one at tech the other day.. so now I use a
    > vivid :)

    How do you get the line to flash? ;-}

    Phstpok, Mar 16, 2006
  14. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Guest

    Try the stuff they call Vista Cleer XP glass cleaner, it claims it is
    safe on just about anything, from what the label says. I use it for
    what you are using it for. If you want call Sommer & Maca Industries,
    they are the only people who carry this product for some reason.

    Adam wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:45:52 +1300, wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:34:06 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <>
    > >wrote:

    > >Most of the wipes can harden the plastic screen cover, water on a damp cloth
    > >is all I use or a Scotch Brite band lens cleaning cloth, New World has them
    > >here.

    > I use a hand spray glass cleaner. Though I don't know wether it's
    > damaging the coating <??>, I think that choice of cloth is dead
    > important. Something like kitchen roll is bad - it's actually quite
    > abrasive - so I agree - a proper lens cleaning cloth is a must.
    >
    > Adam.

    , Mar 16, 2006
  15. Mrs BeebleBrock

    MarkH Guest

    Murray Symon <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:42:07 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >> The most effective way of stopping people touching your screen is to
    >> give a hard punch to their testes when they do it, they will learn
    >> very quickly to stop touching your screen.

    > The last person to touch my screen had no testes at all!

    Then you should make her clean the screen. After all cleaning is the job
    of any female anyway ;)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade