    put out by Maxell) and would like to know if any of you have used them?

    Thanks
    Ray G.

    Ray G., Aug 11, 2005

  2. Ray G.

    Bill Turner Guest

    Ray G. wrote:

    > I just received a new DVD recorder as a gift. I'm asking how most of
    > you clean your DVDs. Since I've gotten the machine, I'm petrified of
    > handling my DVDs, afraid that I may accidentally put a fingerprint on
    > them or scratch them. I've seen DVD cleaning and repair kits (usually
    > put out by Maxell) and would like to know if any of you have used
    > them?

    First thing to know is CDs and DVDs can be washed with mild soap and
    water. No scouring powder such as Comet or Ajax, just plain dish soap.
    Many marks that look like scratches will wash right off. Dry them by
    putting them in the folds of a clean towel, pressing down gently and
    blowing off any lint that remains. Don't let them soak, just soap and
    rinse under running water. I like to use a clean sponge, one that I
    don't use for anything else.

    Second, if you have one that is truly scratched, a cloth buffing wheel
    in an electric drill or drill press will buff them out IF YOU USE THE
    RIGHT BUFFING COMPOUND. You must get a buffing compound designed for
    plastic. Do not use anything made for metal. McMaster-Carr has plastic
    buffing compound in a tube for a few dollars plus shipping. Works like
    a charm. I work at a library and I've fixed CDs and DVDs that appeared
    hopeless. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

    Incidentally, fingerprints will usually not cause read errors unless
    they contain peanut butter or similar substance. :) DVDs, especially,
    are fairly tolerant of surface imperfections.

    Bill T.

    Bill Turner, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Ray G.

    WinField Guest

    Bill Turner wrote:

    > Second, if you have one that is truly scratched, a cloth buffing wheel
    > in an electric drill or drill press will buff them out IF YOU USE THE
    > RIGHT BUFFING COMPOUND. You must get a buffing compound designed for
    > plastic. Do not use anything made for metal. McMaster-Carr has plastic
    > buffing compound in a tube for a few dollars plus shipping. Works like
    > a charm. I work at a library and I've fixed CDs and DVDs that appeared
    > hopeless. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

    For small scratches, put a dab of peanut butter on your finger and
    polish. Wipe clean with a coffee filter. Seemed to work well on my
    test disc.

    - Winfield

    WinField, Aug 11, 2005