    this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
    stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
    so I don't know if that is wise or not.

    alice, Oct 4, 2007

  2. alice

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:39 -0700, alice wrote:

    > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
    > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
    > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
    > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
    > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
    > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
    > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
    > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
    > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

    It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
    to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
    off the laser.

    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007

  3. alice

    alice Guest

    On Oct 4, 10:38 am, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:39 -0700, alice wrote:
    > > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
    > > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
    > > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
    > > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
    > > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
    > > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
    > > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
    > > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
    > > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

    > It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
    > to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
    > off the laser.

    So what else might be the problem?

    alice, Oct 4, 2007
  4. alice

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:49:28 -0700, alice wrote:

    > On Oct 4, 10:38 am, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:27:39 -0700, alice wrote:
    >> > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
    >> > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
    >> > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
    >> > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
    >> > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
    >> > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
    >> > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
    >> > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
    >> > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

    >> It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
    >> to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
    >> off the laser.

    > So what else might be the problem?

    Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
    knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
    Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
    I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
    it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
    consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
    happens.

    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007
  5. alice

    alice Guest

    On Oct 4, 11:07 am, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:49:28 -0700, alice wrote:

    > >> It's unlikely that the lens is dirty given the fact that disc speeds of up
    > >> to 5000 RPM are frequently attained. This does a good job of keeping dust
    > >> off the laser.

    > > So what else might be the problem?

    > Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
    > knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
    > Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
    > I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
    > it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
    > consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
    > happens.- Hide quoted text -

    It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
    the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
    play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
    don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
    below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
    don't seem to have one around.

    alice, Oct 4, 2007
  6. alice

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:13:54 -0700, alice wrote:

    > On Oct 4, 11:07 am, Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >> > So what else might be the problem?

    >> Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
    >> knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
    >> Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
    >> I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
    >> it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
    >> consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
    >> happens.- Hide quoted text -

    > It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
    > the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
    > play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
    > don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
    > below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
    > don't seem to have one around.

    Well that is very odd. Modern CD/DVD devices pipe the audio and video out
    the PCI bus instead of a separate audio cable . I would assume that if the
    problem was on the PCI bus, video playback would also have problems. The
    only thing I can think of is the DVD device shares common decoding and
    buffer electronics for DVD and CD audio and that's the problem which is an
    internal drive issue and not repairable. I would hate though to suggest
    replacing the drive with only conjecture to go on. Maybe you could swap
    the DVD and CD drive's cable positions just for the hell of it and see if
    the problem follows but I doubt it would. Only other thing is to swap the
    drive for a known working drive.

    Meat Plow, Oct 4, 2007
  7. alice

    chuckcar Guest

    alice <> wrote in

    > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
    > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
    > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
    > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
    > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
    > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
    > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
    > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
    > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

    Check both the audio cable coming from the DVD and the plug on the sound
    card it's going to to make sure they're in properly.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 5, 2007
  8. alice

    Ish Guest

    On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:28:56 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:13:54 -0700, alice wrote:

    >>> Could be the drive itself in which case you don't have the resources or
    >>> knowledge at hand to diagnose and repair. Does the DVD drive play a DVD ok?
    >>> Is it a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? I'd be surprised if it played a DVD ok.
    >>> I just had a year old DVD burner bite the dust. No reason or rhyme. Opened
    >>> it up and cleaned the lens, still no-go. These things happen and are not
    >>> consumer repairable. Try a DVD movie in your drive and let me know what
    >>> happens.- Hide quoted text -

    >> It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
    >> the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
    >> play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
    >> don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
    >> below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
    >> don't seem to have one around.

    > Well that is very odd. Modern CD/DVD devices pipe the audio and video out
    > the PCI bus instead of a separate audio cable . I would assume that if the
    > problem was on the PCI bus, video playback would also have problems. The
    > only thing I can think of is the DVD device shares common decoding and
    > buffer electronics for DVD and CD audio and that's the problem which is an
    > internal drive issue and not repairable. I would hate though to suggest
    > replacing the drive with only conjecture to go on. Maybe you could swap
    > the DVD and CD drive's cable positions just for the hell of it and see if
    > the problem follows but I doubt it would. Only other thing is to swap the
    > drive for a known working drive.

    What would you think about going into device manager/ disk properties/
    properties and changing the the volume and/or uncheck or check "enable
    digital audio". The last might require installing a cable from cd audio to
    sound device if uncheck is the option.

    Just a thought, I don't have any experience with this but it might be
    worth a try before tossing the drive.

    Ish, Oct 5, 2007
  9. alice

    JANA Guest

    Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have some film
    accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or if
    there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.

    The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive and open
    its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then it can
    be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is throwing out
    the alignment.

    There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is defective, it
    will have to be replaced.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Oct 5, 2007
  10. alice

    olfart Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in message
    > Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have some
    > film
    > accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or if
    > there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.
    >
    > The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive and
    > open
    > its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then it
    > can
    > be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is throwing
    > out
    > the alignment.
    >
    > There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is defective, it
    > will have to be replaced.

    You can reach the lens with a Q Tip and alcohol without disassembly. Open
    the tray and look inside. You will see the lens above the tray. Use care not
    to misalign the lens when cleaning

    olfart, Oct 5, 2007
  11. alice

    chuckcar Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in

    > "JANA" <> wrote in message
    >> Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have
    >> some film
    >> accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or
    >> if there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.
    >>
    >> The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive
    >> and open
    >> its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then
    >> it can
    >> be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is
    >> throwing out
    >> the alignment.
    >>
    >> There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is
    >> defective, it will have to be replaced.
    >>

    > You can reach the lens with a Q Tip and alcohol without disassembly.
    > Open the tray and look inside. You will see the lens above the tray.
    > Use care not to misalign the lens when cleaning

    *Don't* use methyl alcohol. You *have* to use isopropyl as methanol
    disolves plastics.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 5, 2007
  12. alice

    alice Guest

    On Oct 5, 2:17 am, "olfart" <> wrote:
    > "JANA" <> wrote in message

    > > Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have some
    > > film
    > > accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or if
    > > there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.

    > > The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive and
    > > open
    > > its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then it
    > > can
    > > be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is throwing
    > > out
    > > the alignment.

    > > There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is defective, it
    > > will have to be replaced.

    > You can reach the lens with a Q Tip and alcohol without disassembly. Open
    > the tray and look inside. You will see the lens above the tray. Use care not
    > to misalign the lens when cleaning- Hide quoted text -

    I really can't see the lens at all, the tray, although open, is
    basically in the way.

    alice, Oct 5, 2007
  13. alice

    alice Guest

    On Oct 4, 11:23 pm, "JANA" <> wrote:
    > Even though the disk spins very fast, it is possible to still have some film
    > accumulation on the laser head, especially in a humid environment, or if
    > there are people smoking in the same place as the computer.
    >
    > The only way to clean the head with a Q-Tip, is to remove the drive and open
    > its case. If the fault is not dirt or a film on the laser head, then it can
    > be an electronics problem, or there is mechanical wear that is throwing out
    > the alignment.
    >
    > There is no service support for these disk drives. If it is defective, it
    > will have to be replaced.
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____
    >
    > "alice" <> wrote in message

    > I have both a DVD drive and a CD drive, the CD drive is working fine,
    > but suddenly when I play a CD in the DVD drive, the audio has this
    > sort of clicking/static/poping distortion sound now and then. I tried
    > a CD cleaner with very soft hairs, but that didn't fix it. I've heard
    > about using a q-tip but my question is, how on earth do you reach in
    > there and find the lense? From the front there really is no way to do
    > this. Do you have to take the drive out and take it apart? I'm no
    > stranger to taking a PC apart, but I've never actually opened a drive
    > so I don't know if that is wise or not.

    I've got the drive out now, but I can't seem to get the case open. The
    bottom has 4 screws but that only removes the bottom panel. I can't
    seem to get the top part off.

    alice, Oct 5, 2007
  14. alice

    alice Guest

    On Oct 4, 6:01 pm, Ish <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:28:56 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > >> It is a DVD burner. A video DVD plays the video fine, but the audio is
    > >> the same as a audio CD, which I should have clarified, the audio does
    > >> play, it just has this annoying distorted popping along with it. I
    > >> don't think it's anything else in the system since the CD drive right
    > >> below it plays audio just fine. I haven't tried an air can yet, I
    > >> don't seem to have one around.

    > > Well that is very odd. Modern CD/DVD devices pipe the audio and video out
    > > the PCI bus instead of a separate audio cable . I would assume that if the
    > > problem was on the PCI bus, video playback would also have problems. The
    > > only thing I can think of is the DVD device shares common decoding and
    > > buffer electronics for DVD and CD audio and that's the problem which is an
    > > internal drive issue and not repairable. I would hate though to suggest
    > > replacing the drive with only conjecture to go on. Maybe you could swap
    > > the DVD and CD drive's cable positions just for the hell of it and see if
    > > the problem follows but I doubt it would. Only other thing is to swap the
    > > drive for a known working drive.

    > What would you think about going into device manager/ disk properties/
    > properties and changing the the volume and/or uncheck or check "enable
    > digital audio". The last might require installing a cable from cd audio to
    > sound device if uncheck is the option.
    >
    > Just a thought, I don't have any experience with this but it might be
    > worth a try before tossing the drive.- Hide quoted text -

    The digital audio box is checked, and there is no analog cable coming
    from the drive. I think digital is what I want. I guess I may need to
    replace the whole drive at this point.

    alice, Oct 5, 2007
  15. alice

    alice Guest

    On Oct 5, 10:52 am, alice <> wrote:
    > On Oct 4, 6:01 pm, Ish <> wrote:

    > > > Well that is very odd. Modern CD/DVD devices pipe the audio and video out
    > > > the PCI bus instead of a separate audio cable . I would assume that if the
    > > > problem was on the PCI bus, video playback would also have problems. The
    > > > only thing I can think of is the DVD device shares common decoding and
    > > > buffer electronics for DVD and CD audio and that's the problem which is an
    > > > internal drive issue and not repairable. I would hate though to suggest
    > > > replacing the drive with only conjecture to go on. Maybe you could swap
    > > > the DVD and CD drive's cable positions just for the hell of it and see if
    > > > the problem follows but I doubt it would. Only other thing is to swap the
    > > > drive for a known working drive.

    > > What would you think about going into device manager/ disk properties/
    > > properties and changing the the volume and/or uncheck or check "enable
    > > digital audio". The last might require installing a cable from cd audio to
    > > sound device if uncheck is the option.

    > > Just a thought, I don't have any experience with this but it might be
    > > worth a try before tossing the drive.- Hide quoted text -

    > The digital audio box is checked, and there is no analog cable coming
    > from the drive. I think digital is what I want. I guess I may need to
    > replace the whole drive at this point.- Hide quoted text -

    Ah-ha. I switched the ribbon cables inside, which I think one of you
    suggested. Both drives worked after that. So I switched the cables
    back, and still both drives are working. Strange that the cable would
    suddenly have a problem and need disconnecting and reconncting, twice
    acutally, because I disconnected it when I first took the drive out
    and after putting it back it still did not work...maybe it needed the
    switch? Who knows.

    alice, Oct 5, 2007