    said it slows your computer down? I just want a fast, safe machine that runs
    well.
    Sam

    Samantha, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Samantha

    Chet Guest

    The bottom right of the screen is called the System Tray and shows programs
    that are running and taking up resources. Most of them are started because
    they are listed in MSCONFIG. Some are necessary such as your firewall,
    virus protection and such.

    Click on "Start" on the lower left of the screen, click "Run" and type in
    MSCONFIG. Click the "Startup" tab and uncheck the ones you don't want to
    start on power on. Be sure you leave System Tray checked. Make note of
    which ones you turn off in case something doesn't work right.

    The next time you start the computer you will be reminded that you are using
    Selective Startup. That's OK, that's what you want.
    "Samantha" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Does anyone know the best method for cleaning up a computer of all the

    junk

    Chet, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Samantha

    Chris Guest

    "Samantha" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Does anyone know the best method for cleaning up a computer of all the

    junk
    > to try and make it run faster? And how do you stop the icons in the bottom
    > right of the screen always loading up, I have loads down there and someone
    > said it slows your computer down? I just want a fast, safe machine that

    runs
    > well.
    > Sam

    On the icons, if they're on the little corner, they're set to open at
    boot-up, so you should have settings in your program preferences for
    disabling this feature. Most software will let you disable them from
    startup. The tough part is choosing what you don't want to have running, as
    different people make use of different things at different times.

    Your anti-virus should load at startup. If you're using windows 9x (95/98),
    in your start/programs, there should be a selection called "startup". If
    you look there, you'll see afew items as well. It's ultimately up to you
    what you do or don't want to automatically start, but like I said,
    anti-virus is a good idea. On my pc right now, I have a clock syncronizer,
    a popup blocker, MSN messenger, Norton, and that's about it for things I
    don't feel like just running whenever I choose. That's a good example of
    what you might want to work with. I don't really need MSN, as my other
    messengers I open as needed, just I'm a lazy bum. Convenience, and common
    usage, should determine what's best for you to keep at startup, or load as
    needed.

    Chris, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Samantha

    Michael-NC Guest

    2 ways to manage start-up programs are by typing in msconfig in the run
    dialog box and starting the system configuration utility. You then select
    selective startup and uncheck the programs you don't want to start when
    windows starts in the startup tab, then reboot. Entries in the startup tab
    can be cross checked for what they are at this web site:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    Alternatively, just download Mike Lin's easy program if that seems too much
    work.
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    I also use VCOM Fix-It Utilities. It's a virus scanner and system suite that
    has a very good registry cleaner. Keeping virus' out of your computer and
    your registry tuned, mean a fast, safe computer.

    Dump all temp files, defrag and install all the critical updates from MS as
    well. Consider a softwall based firewall for more safety if you have a
    always on net connection and no hardware firewall.

    Michael-NC, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Samantha

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Chet" <> wrote

    >Most of them are started because they are listed in MSCONFIG. Some are

    necessary such as your firewall, virus protection and such.

    Before editing the MSCONFIG, check your Startup folder (Start -> Programs ->
    Startup). You should delete anything that you don't want to run when your
    computer starts. Things such as 'Find Fast', 'Microsoft Office', etc, don't
    need to be run when your computer is started. I suggest deleting everything
    out of this folder unless you know you require it.

    Once you have cleaned out the Startup folder, move onto the MSCONFIG and
    uncheck any programs that you know you don't require. Some of the
    applications may be required, such as Graphic card drivers, Modem drives,
    etc. If you are unsure about something, uncheck the application and logoff
    your account, and log back on. If you require the application, go back to
    MSCONFIG and re-enable it.

    As for cleaning your computer, you should first try running Windows own Disk
    Cleanup (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools). This may help
    free up some space.
    I use a program called System Mechanic. This cleans any junk files
    (un-needed files), registry cleaner, spyware, Internet history and has some
    other useful tools.

    If you decide to use System Mechanic, when you search for junk files, you
    want to goto Options and check 'Find unused files in the Windows Temporary
    folder' and 'Find empty temporary subfolders'.

    Hope this helped.

    --
    Global_Killa
    "Youre a victim of the rules you live by!"

    Global_Killa, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Samantha

    Spajky® Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:26:26 -0000, "Samantha" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello again,
    >
    >Does anyone know the best method for cleaning up a computer of all the junk
    >to try and make it run faster? And how do you stop the icons in the bottom
    >right of the screen always loading up, I have loads down there and someone
    >said it slows your computer down? I just want a fast, safe machine that runs
    >well.
    >Sam

    www.litepc.com

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®