Cleaning an HP Laserjet 5?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bmcky, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. bmcky

    bmcky Guest

    Hi -

    Output from my Laserjet 5 has become smudgy lookikng recently. The
    type is clear but there's a layer of grey toner on the paper and I'm
    thinking the printer is due for some kind of cleaning. I bought it
    brand new about 6 years ago and its just used for my own personal ues.

    Is it difficult for a non professional to do this? I'm experienced
    with PC's in general but never did this kind of work on laserjet
    printer. I'm not concerned about opening up the machine, I just don't
    have the experience of cleaning one, and this would be my first time.
    Its a good printer, and has the dupexing unit, PS level II and extra
    (32 megs) memory chips. Its old technology by today's standards but
    its always worked well and I want to keep using it.

    I'd really appreciate any help or information on what's involved in
    cleaning of these, and the approximate cost and brand namees of any
    kind of cleaning kits that are available. Thanks in advance for any
    help.

    bmcky

    Boston, MA

    bmcky, Apr 4, 2004

  2. bmcky

    MrB Guest

    It sounds like it could be time for a new drum module.

    MrB, Apr 4, 2004

  3. bmcky

    SgtMinor Guest

    Most office supply stores sell laser path cleaning sheets for about a
    buck apiece. You just run them through like regular paper and they can
    remove a lot of dust and loose toner.

    SgtMinor, Apr 4, 2004
  4. It does sound like a new drum is needed.
    When you bought your last toner it should have come with instructions on
    what you need to clean and how to do it.
    Just be sure not to break any wires in it.

    If you think it's on it's last leg. (Not picking up paper too many paper
    jams etc.)
    There is a nice selection of Laser printers out there for Under $200 I have
    a Brother HL1450 and I love it.
    (It doesn't have a duplexing unit though.)

    Russ

    nntp.comcast.net, Apr 4, 2004
  5. bmcky

    bmcky Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:44:35 GMT, "nntp.comcast.net"
    <> wrote:

    >It does sound like a new drum is needed.
    >When you bought your last toner it should have come with instructions on
    >what you need to clean and how to do it.
    >Just be sure not to break any wires in it.
    >
    >If you think it's on it's last leg. (Not picking up paper too many paper
    >jams etc.)
    >There is a nice selection of Laser printers out there for Under $200 I have
    >a Brother HL1450 and I love it.
    >(It doesn't have a duplexing unit though.)
    >
    >Russ
    >

    >"bmcky" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> Output from my Laserjet 5 has become smudgy lookikng recently. The
    >> type is clear but there's a layer of grey toner on the paper and I'm
    >> thinking the printer is due for some kind of cleaning. I bought it
    >> brand new about 6 years ago and its just used for my own personal ues.
    >>
    >> Is it difficult for a non professional to do this? I'm experienced
    >> with PC's in general but never did this kind of work on laserjet
    >> printer. I'm not concerned about opening up the machine, I just don't
    >> have the experience of cleaning one, and this would be my first time.
    >> Its a good printer, and has the dupexing unit, PS level II and extra
    >> (32 megs) memory chips. Its old technology by today's standards but
    >> its always worked well and I want to keep using it.
    >>
    >> I'd really appreciate any help or information on what's involved in
    >> cleaning of these, and the approximate cost and brand namees of any
    >> kind of cleaning kits that are available. Thanks in advance for any
    >> help.
    >>
    >> bmcky
    >>
    >> Boston, MA

    A quick follow up question and my thanks for the previous answers.

    I'm still not too clear about exactly how to clean this thing but I
    checked HP's site for information on drum modules and got this page:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl70198&printver=true

    Does this look pretty much like what I need to do? I have a small
    portable (auto) vacuum cleaner, and I'm wondering if it would be good
    to use to remove some of the dust inside the machine? Any idea how
    much the material cost would cost to replace the drum module?

    bmcky

    Boston, MA

    bmcky, Apr 5, 2004
  6. bmcky spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>

    > Hi -
    >
    > Output from my Laserjet 5 has become smudgy lookikng recently. The
    > type is clear but there's a layer of grey toner on the paper and I'm
    > thinking the printer is due for some kind of cleaning. I bought it
    > brand new about 6 years ago and its just used for my own personal ues.
    >
    > Is it difficult for a non professional to do this? I'm experienced
    > with PC's in general but never did this kind of work on laserjet
    > printer. I'm not concerned about opening up the machine, I just don't
    > have the experience of cleaning one, and this would be my first time.
    > Its a good printer, and has the dupexing unit, PS level II and extra
    > (32 megs) memory chips. Its old technology by today's standards but
    > its always worked well and I want to keep using it.
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any help or information on what's involved in
    > cleaning of these, and the approximate cost and brand namees of any
    > kind of cleaning kits that are available. Thanks in advance for any
    > help.

    Aside from somehow removing all the loose toner, you might want to install
    what HP calls a "Maintenance Kit". This is basically a bunch of parts
    including a fuser (which may be your problem), rollers, and seperation
    pads...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Apr 5, 2004
  7. MrB spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>

    > It sounds like it could be time for a new drum module.

    Those are part of the toner cartridge...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Apr 5, 2004
  8. bmcky

    bmcky Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:31:44 -0400, bmcky <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:44:35 GMT, "nntp.comcast.net"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>It does sound like a new drum is needed.
    >>When you bought your last toner it should have come with instructions on
    >>what you need to clean and how to do it.
    >>Just be sure not to break any wires in it.
    >>
    >>If you think it's on it's last leg. (Not picking up paper too many paper
    >>jams etc.)
    >>There is a nice selection of Laser printers out there for Under $200 I have
    >>a Brother HL1450 and I love it.
    >>(It doesn't have a duplexing unit though.)
    >>
    >>Russ
    >>

    >>"bmcky" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi -
    >>>
    >>> Output from my Laserjet 5 has become smudgy lookikng recently. The
    >>> type is clear but there's a layer of grey toner on the paper and I'm
    >>> thinking the printer is due for some kind of cleaning. I bought it
    >>> brand new about 6 years ago and its just used for my own personal ues.
    >>>
    >>> Is it difficult for a non professional to do this? I'm experienced
    >>> with PC's in general but never did this kind of work on laserjet
    >>> printer. I'm not concerned about opening up the machine, I just don't
    >>> have the experience of cleaning one, and this would be my first time.
    >>> Its a good printer, and has the dupexing unit, PS level II and extra
    >>> (32 megs) memory chips. Its old technology by today's standards but
    >>> its always worked well and I want to keep using it.
    >>>
    >>> I'd really appreciate any help or information on what's involved in
    >>> cleaning of these, and the approximate cost and brand namees of any
    >>> kind of cleaning kits that are available. Thanks in advance for any
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> bmcky
    >>>
    >>> Boston, MA

    >A quick follow up question and my thanks for the previous answers.
    >
    >I'm still not too clear about exactly how to clean this thing but I
    >checked HP's site for information on drum modules and got this page:
    >
    >http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl70198&printver=true
    >
    >Does this look pretty much like what I need to do? I have a small
    >portable (auto) vacuum cleaner, and I'm wondering if it would be good
    >to use to remove some of the dust inside the machine? Any idea how
    >much the material cost would cost to replace the drum module?
    >
    >bmcky
    >
    >Boston, MA

    Another follow up -

    Throwing caution to the wind, I printed the instructions from HP's
    website (previous note) and looked inside the printer. At that point
    I realized they were talking about the drum on the toner cartridge. I
    mistakenly thought it was a separate part of the printer. So I'll go
    check Staples and maybe OM on Monday. Thanks to everyone for the help
    and suggestions.

    bmcky

    Boston, MA

    bmcky, Apr 5, 2004
  9. bmcky

    swfoster

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Cleaning HP LaserJet 5

    I just cleaned mine and it is not that difficult and costs nothing.

    Open the top and remove the print cartridge.
    Taking a clean paper towel, wipe off the silver bar in the printer.
    Open your print cartridge to expose the roller.
    Wipe the toner off of the roller with a paper towel, rotating the roller to get the whole surface.
    Replace the cartridge. Print a page. (It will still have a smudge, but not as bad)
    Repeat the process.
    My printer cleaned up after two times.

    swfoster, Oct 18, 2010