    thanks
    marc

    , Jun 18, 2013

  2. Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
    >and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges
    >
    >is there a best way to clean the lens?
    >
    >I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
    >although they seem to be a little dried out.
    >
    >Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
    >What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

    Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
    a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.

    Or you can buy kits on Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical...371585814&sr=1-5&keywords=lens cleaning fluid

    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical...71585814&sr=1-11&keywords=lens cleaning fluid

    The second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
    handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
    free shipping.

    --
    Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
    pciszek at panix dot com | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 18, 2013

  3. J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kpqeqg$c4p$>, says...

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
    > >and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges
    > >
    > >is there a best way to clean the lens?
    > >
    > >I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
    > >although they seem to be a little dried out.
    > >
    > >Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
    > >What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

    > Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
    > a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.
    >
    > Or you can buy kits on Amazon:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical...371585814&sr=1-5&keywords=lens cleaning fluid
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical...71585814&sr=1-11&keywords=lens cleaning fluid
    >
    > The second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
    > handy items for the same total price, but does not have the possibility of
    > free shipping.

    If there's a Harbor Freight near you they'll sell you a bag of big
    microfiber cloths for 6 bucks that work fine. For lens cleaning one bag
    should last several generations of photographers. For cleaning fluid
    isopropyl alcohol, possibly diluted with distilled water, works fine.

    Another option is a dust blower and a LensPen.
    <http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-
    Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_sim_p_1>
    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/851852-REG/Lenspen_NLP_1_NLP_1
    _Lenspen.html>

    Note--be careful about the LensPen--there are some fakes out there that
    fall apart after a couple of uses--make sure you buy from a reliable
    online source or a local dealer where you can return it easily. Before
    you buy on Amazon read the reviews--they're apparently getting some
    fakes from whoever supplied them.

    J. Clarke, Jun 18, 2013
  4. peternew Guest

    On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-18 13:09:52 -0700, (Paul Ciszek) said:
    >

    >> In article <>,
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I just bought a store model sony dsc hx20v,
    >>> and the lens is very dirty, with what appears to be smudges
    >>>
    >>> is there a best way to clean the lens?
    >>>
    >>> I have some cleaning packets, made for monitors & len's,
    >>> although they seem to be a little dried out.
    >>>
    >>> Or maybe a Qtip, with some kind of fluid?
    >>> What kind of fluid would I use, or not use?

    >> Most camera stores (if you are lucky enough to have one) can sell you
    >> a microfiber cloth and some fluid suitable for cleaning lenses.
    >>
    >> Or you can buy kits on Amazon:
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical...371585814&sr=1-5&keywords=lens cleaning fluid
    >>

    > http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Optical...71585814&sr=1-11&keywords=lens cleaning fluid
    >

    > The
    >>
    >> second one contains the first one as a subset in addition to some other
    >> handy items for the same total price, but does not have the
    >> possibility of
    >> free shipping.

    > Good advise.
    >
    > I would add that a Qtip or cotton bud is a poor choice due the abrasive
    > quality of cotton and which has the potential of damaging lens coatings.
    >
    > A blower such as a Giotto's Rocket is useful to blow moveable dust and
    > contaminants from the lens surface before wipe cleaning. Do not use
    > "canned air"! A brush also works for this task.
    >
    > Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
    > go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
    > recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.
    >
    > < http://photosol.com/ >

    Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
    cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just pat.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 19, 2013
  5. Martin Brown Guest

    On 19/06/2013 04:01, peternew wrote:
    > On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >> Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
    >> go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
    >> recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.
    >>
    >> < http://photosol.com/ >
    >>

    > Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
    > cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just
    > pat.

    I'd be surprised if either were pure enough although it depends exactly
    what they were flavoured or denatured with. Isopropanol that has been
    stored in a glass bottle is one of the better lens cleaners.

    I am old school and prefer a strip of lens tissue for cleaning lenses.

    You can buy lens cleaner from any photodealer, but you should be *very*
    gentle when cleaning and leave as little residual solvent on the surface
    as possible. Under no circumstances scour the surface or rub hard as
    every tiny scratch diminishes the contrast of the image.

    Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
    facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
    make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Jun 19, 2013
  6. 2dealsok

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    http://www.lcdinverter.info/
    Method One:
    Wipe the lens when we choose the following tools: Professional lens cleaning cloth / chamois (never used glasses cloth), professional lens paper, soft brush, blow up balloons, lens cleaning water, etc. (these can be to shop to buy professional equipment)
    If there is dirt, first use a blower to remove dust, blowing not available to sweep the brush, soft brush to remember not touch, because the hand with oil, then rub the lens with lens cleaning cloth droplets from rotate struck the inside out, note that the intensity can be repeated several times, not once used by the intensity is too large. Then the remaining dust with a blower to blow.

    Method two:
    Equipment is not sufficient in the case of, for example, we have only lens cleaning cloth or lens cleaning paper
    Then blow the lens is: with my hand in front of the camera into a 30 to 45 degree angle, with the mouth to the hands of the blowing gas reflected to blow away dust on the lens so, this benefit is to prevent saliva blow on the lens.
    Lens cleaning method: Kazakhstan on the breath on the lens (lens cleaning liquid equivalent effect), to prevent dust scratch the lens, then wipe with a lens cleaning cloth or lens paper, wipe from the inside out spin out method wipe the lens.

    With these two simple methods complement each other can do an emergency lens cleaning, usually according to a certain method of a proceed.

    2dealsok, Jun 19, 2013
  7. peternew Guest

    On 6/19/2013 2:31 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
    > On 19/06/2013 04:01, peternew wrote:
    >> On 6/18/2013 4:44 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Then as recommended above a microfiber cloth or Pec Pads are the way to
    >>> go. Also for persistent spots a non-water fluid should be used. I
    >>> recommend Eclipse Optical Cleaner.
    >>>
    >>> < http://photosol.com/ >
    >>>

    >> Unflavored vodka or denatured alcohol will work.Just dapen part of the
    >> cloth, and use the other part for drying. The trick is not to rub, just
    >> pat.

    > I'd be surprised if either were pure enough although it depends exactly
    > what they were flavoured or denatured with. Isopropanol that has been
    > stored in a glass bottle is one of the better lens cleaners.
    >
    > I am old school and prefer a strip of lens tissue for cleaning lenses.
    >
    > You can buy lens cleaner from any photodealer, but you should be *very*
    > gentle when cleaning and leave as little residual solvent on the surface
    > as possible. Under no circumstances scour the surface or rub hard as
    > every tiny scratch diminishes the contrast of the image.
    >
    > Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
    > facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
    > make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

    Yes isopropyol alcohol will work too. You can't overstate the importance
    of not rubbing, or using excess fluid.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 19, 2013
  8. Guest

    thanks all,

    I was able to clean the front lens, to where
    it looks much cleaner...BUT....

    look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning

    http://imgur.com/jVLZGun

    http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG

    something else is wrong with the lens;
    see the dark grey small cloud like spot?

    I think I'm returning the camera

    marc

    , Jun 19, 2013
  9. Guest

    > What model Sony is that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Savageduck

    sony cyber-shot DSC hx20v

    [I have many more photos with the same spot]

    marc

    , Jun 19, 2013
  10. peternew Guest

    On 6/19/2013 3:49 PM, wrote:
    > thanks all,
    >
    > I was able to clean the front lens, to where
    > it looks much cleaner...BUT....
    >
    > look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning
    >
    > http://imgur.com/jVLZGun
    >
    > http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG
    >
    > something else is wrong with the lens;
    > see the dark grey small cloud like spot?
    >
    > I think I'm returning the camera

    that could be a dust spot on the sensor, which is esily cleaned.

    <http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm>
    just Google sensor dust You will find lots of answers. If you are
    uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, most local places will do it. the
    going price in the US is anywhere from no charge, to $35.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 19, 2013
  11. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > thanks all,
    >
    > I was able to clean the front lens, to where
    > it looks much cleaner...BUT....
    >
    > look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning
    >
    > http://imgur.com/jVLZGun
    >
    > http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG
    >
    > something else is wrong with the lens;
    > see the dark grey small cloud like spot?
    >
    > I think I'm returning the camera

    Marc-

    That spot reminds me of "burn in", where a bright image would burn
    itself into the phosphors of an old CRT computer screen.

    Suppose the camera had sat on the dealer's shelf for several months,
    pointing at a bright light or perhaps the store's front door. I think
    the grey cloud may be in the sensor, and cleaning will not fix it.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Jun 19, 2013
  12. Guest

    tomorrow,
    I think I'll take a photo of a totally White background,
    and see what shows up

    marc

    , Jun 20, 2013
  13. peternew Guest

    On 6/19/2013 5:47 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-19 14:15:12 -0700, peternew <> said:
    >
    >> On 6/19/2013 3:49 PM, wrote:
    >>> thanks all,
    >>>
    >>> I was able to clean the front lens, to where
    >>> it looks much cleaner...BUT....
    >>>
    >>> look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning
    >>>
    >>> http://imgur.com/jVLZGun
    >>>
    >>> http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG
    >>>
    >>> something else is wrong with the lens;
    >>> see the dark grey small cloud like spot?
    >>>
    >>> I think I'm returning the camera
    >>>

    >> that could be a dust spot on the sensor, which is esily cleaned.

    > Not on the sensor of a compact such as that owned by the OP, it isn't.
    > < http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-HX20v >
    >
    >> <http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm>
    >> just Google sensor dust You will find lots of answers. If you are
    >> uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, most local places will do it. the
    >> going price in the US is anywhere from no charge, to $35.

    > After living with my dust magnet D70 I became very proficient at DSLR
    > sensor cleaning and familiar with various methods.
    > Two sites I recommend the DSLR owner to visit are the following:
    > < http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html >
    > <
    > http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-6/Digital-Camera-Cleaning-Supplies.aspx
    >

    > ...but that still doesn't solve the OP's problem.

    OK I sit corrected.

    --
    PeterN

    peternew, Jun 20, 2013
  14. otter Guest

    On Jun 19, 2:49 pm, wrote:
    > thanks all,
    >
    > I was able to clean the front lens, to where
    > it looks much cleaner...BUT....
    >
    > look at these 2 new test photos, after cleaning
    >
    > http://imgur.com/jVLZGun
    >
    > http://imgur.com/qqvUfCG
    >
    > something else is wrong with the lens;
    > see the dark grey small cloud like spot?
    >
    > I think I'm returning the camera

    I think this is the best course of action.

    otter, Jun 20, 2013
  15. Guest

    , Jun 20, 2013
  16. Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <zfcwt.36700$>,
    Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >Paradoxically a "dirty" lens still works pretty well unless you are
    >facing into the sun with the front surface illuminated! You can easily
    >make things permanently worse by too frequent or aggressive cleaning.

    That is why I put a clear lens protector on the lens first thing, when
    it is clean and pristene and new, and obsessively clean the protector
    instead.

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 21, 2013
  17. <> wrote:
    > here are 3 shots of a White piece of paper

    > regular, 20x zoom, and 22x zoom

    > http://imgur.com/NAqCKq0
    > http://imgur.com/i4ZmLNO
    > http://imgur.com/eQtvua4

    > does this tell anything more, about where the spot comes from?

    Looks like Lint on the sensor.

    If you're lucky, a vacuum or a bulb blower may dislodge it.
    Or make it worse.
    It may need to be serviced otherwise, which may or may not be
    a total loss financially if you have to pay for it.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 22, 2013
  18. Guest

    I was planning on just returning the camera,
    which I still can for a few more days,

    but I woke up yesterday,
    and the big grey spot was gone, on all new photos!
    I have no idea what happened.

    I did make a second try to re-clean the front of the lens,
    in case I missed something, then testing,
    all the pictures still had the spot,

    but now it's gone, mysteriously...

    marc

    , Jun 23, 2013
  19. David Taylor Guest

    On 23/06/2013 04:43, wrote:
    > I was planning on just returning the camera,
    > which I still can for a few more days,
    >
    > but I woke up yesterday,
    > and the big grey spot was gone, on all new photos!
    > I have no idea what happened.
    >
    > I did make a second try to re-clean the front of the lens,
    > in case I missed something, then testing,
    > all the pictures still had the spot,
    >
    > but now it's gone, mysteriously...
    >
    > marc

    Likely the "dirt" - whatever it was - has fallen off the sensor, and
    lodged elsewhere in the camera. If you're lucky, it won't come back -
    some cameras have a sticky layer at the base of the sensor compartment
    to catch such bits.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Jun 23, 2013
  20. Guest

    On Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:41:36 AM UTC-7, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 23/06/2013 04:43, wrote:
    >
    > > I was planning on just returning the camera,

    > > which I still can for a few more days,

    > > but I woke up yesterday,

    > > and the big grey spot was gone, on all new photos!

    > > I have no idea what happened.

    > > I did make a second try to re-clean the front of the lens,

    > > in case I missed something, then testing,

    > > all the pictures still had the spot,

    > > but now it's gone, mysteriously...

    > > marc

    > Likely the "dirt" - whatever it was - has fallen off the sensor, and
    >
    > lodged elsewhere in the camera. If you're lucky, it won't come back -
    >
    > some cameras have a sticky layer at the base of the sensor compartment
    >
    > to catch such bits.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > David
    >
    > Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

    it is now looking like it was internal lint, dust, dirt, etc

    thanks
    marc

    , Jun 23, 2013