    I just reinstalled win 98 over what I have on there now. Would this work
    or is there a better way??

    Thanks DZ
    dzipp, Sep 17, 2003

  2. dzipp

    Danny Kile Guest

    dzipp wrote:
    > I am having a problem with the operating system win 98 lots a funky stuff
    > going on. I want to reinstall my windows 98 but I dont want to loose the
    > programs Outlook express Favorites, Drivers, Internet settings,. etc you
    > get the picture. So the question is how do you do this. I know I could
    > just make a copy of my hard drive and reinstall windows and bring back the
    > backup even doing this I question the ability to bring back my Outlook
    > express. However I am looking for a more american way faster and easier.
    > I may in the future make an extended partition and use that as a backup for
    > data. However right now I only have one partition. What would happen if
    > I just reinstalled win 98 over what I have on there now. Would this work
    > or is there a better way??
    >
    > Thanks DZ

    You could reinstall 98 over the top of it's self and that would cause no
    ill affects. However, it may or may not solve your problems.

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly
    Danny Kile, Sep 17, 2003

  3. If you reinstall Win98 over the existing OS, you MIGHT fix the
    situation, but more than likely, in preserving the very settings and
    data that you want to save, you would also retain the problems, or at
    least some of them.

    The outlook express stuff can be saved. Outlook express stores it's
    data in a number of files, but they are all in one place. Primarily, if
    I recall correctly (I use outlook not outlook express, which is totally
    different in this regard), there is a ".dbx" file for each E-Mail
    folder. Save the whole folder with all of these files, then you can
    either put it in the proper location after the new system is built, or I
    believe that there is an "import" function in OE and you can import the
    old database after the new system is built (obviously, either you use a
    new hard drive, or you have some form of offline storage, e.g. CD-R or
    something else).

    Similarly, your other settings can mostly be saved in one way or
    another, but with Win98, there is no easy way to save everything at once.

    Suggestion, before you do this, as a last resort, export the ENTIRE
    registry to a TEXT file so that if push comes to shove, you can reimport
    a registry key that you either couldn't or forgot to save in any other
    manner.

    Are you sure that you want to reinstall 98 as opposed to upgrading to XP?

    If these were two completely separate systems (two computers), there are
    products, such as "Aloha Bob's PC Relocator", that CAN do the whole job
    at once and mostly unattended. But if it's one computer just being
    upgraded/repaired, it's not that easy. Windows XP does have a wizzard
    for saving settings, but I don't believe that there is any such animal
    available for 98 from Microsoft.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 17, 2003