    to didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. Would surely appreciate help with
    this. Thanks.
    Stan

    Stan, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Unless someone just happens to have a Dell OEM disk available, I'm not sure
    how much help you're going to get. The basic rule is you need to run the
    installation from within an existing Windows install. When it reboots into
    the installation, you specify a new install, not an upgrade. You can format
    the HD or not, doesn't matter. If you don't, any leftovers from the Vista
    install get stuffed into a "windows.old" folder. Which lets you get at them
    if you're missing something.

    If you need drivers to be pulled from a separate disk, that may be
    problematic.But you should be able to install them later, after the initial
    install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 6, 2009

  3. If Dell have sent you a Microsoft upgrade disk, even if it is branded as
    Dell, you can use
    http://community.winsupersite.com/b...-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-the-answer.aspx.

    If the disk has been modified by Dell you will need to use the
    procedures specified by Dell.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 6, 2009
  4. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Thanks to Charlie & Dominic for your input. It should be helpful when I try
    a clean install after a full backup. Unfortunately I don't have the time for
    this now but I will definitely get to it in a couple of weeks and let you
    know how I make out. Again, Many Thanks. Stan

    Stan, Dec 6, 2009
  5. Stan

    Donahoo Guest

    Stan wrote:
    > Have Dell Vista Home Premium 64 bit computer and just received the free
    > upgrade kit for Win7. Have read that there are ways to make a clean
    > install with an upgrade disk and Dell grudgingly allows it but I could
    > use detailed steps on how to do this.
    >
    > The Dell kit has 2 disks, one of which is drivers and software and the
    > other is the Win 7 OS. The accompanying upgrade data tells me to install
    > the drivers first. Can't understand the techs in India and so far those
    > I spoke to didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. Would surely appreciate
    > help with this. Thanks.
    > Stan

    I just did this yesterday after two failed upgrade attempts which
    totally trashed my Vista installation. Put in your Dell Upgrade
    Assistant DVD and let it run, it will remove the Dell programs that are
    not compatible with Windows 7; in my case it was the Dell Video Chat
    (whatever that was)and a modem diagnostic program. Then it will tell you
    to insert the upgrade disk, where you will have the option to do either
    an upgrade or a custom (clean) installation. The clean installation took
    only 30 minutes instead of the 3 hours the upgrade took. After getting
    Windows 7 installed, I put in the Dell DVD which reinstalled the
    drivers. If you do decide to upgrade, be sure you have everything on
    your system completely backed up because the upgrade may not work. I
    didn't know Dell frowned on clean installations, probably a good thing.
    It was certainly easier to do than the disastrous upgrade was.

    I first tried the upgrade the next day after the computer was delivered
    with a purchased Windows 7 upgrade which didn't actually fail, although
    I had some programs that wouldn't install or run. That may have been
    more due to the 64-bit system than to Windows 7 Then I lost all my sound
    card software and nothing I did would get the card recognized, requiring
    a complete system restore to get it back. So I spent the next 2 weeks
    getting all my programs to run on Vista while waiting for the Dell
    upgrade disk. The second attempt to upgrade to Windows 7 trashed all
    that. And I still have to try to reinstall the programs that wouldn't
    run on the first Windows 7 installation.

    I didn't have any of these problems upgrading my 32-bit Vista laptop to
    32-bit Windows 7. It worked like a charm and all my installed programs
    still work like they did before.

    Donahoo, Dec 7, 2009
  6. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Thank You, Donahoo, for the excellent detailed description of your
    experiences with upgrade disks. I will follow your suggestions and advise
    everyone of the results but it won't be for a couple of weeks as right now I
    have too much on my plate.

    When I got my Vista 64 bit machine all but 2 or 3 of my 50 programs or so I
    had been running on XP went in easily. Word 2003 was fussy but it did go in
    using the Compatibility function so I hope and expect it do similarly in
    Windows 7. If you have problems with installing your old programs try the
    Compatibility Wizard. It worked for me.

    Thanks again,

    Stan

    Stan, Dec 7, 2009