Clean install of XP Pro not seeing 2nd drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Noz, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Noz

    Noz Guest

    Hi All,

    Hope someone can help.

    I have a PIII Dell that had Win 98 running.

    The kids screwed this up so thought I'd purchase XP Pro and do a clean
    install.

    This went ok (apart from none of the desktop icons showing - recycle bin
    only) but the slave drive that is installed does not show up in 'My
    Computer'.

    Any ideas (in layman's terms please) on how I can overcome this problem?

    TIA!

    Noz
    Noz, Mar 6, 2006

  2. I had that problem few months ago and hope I remembef correctly how I
    recovered. Disconnect slave drive and run pc. Then turn off fully;
    reconnect slave and run pc...should pick it up. If not, check your jumper
    settings..you never know.

    Ms Rawlins will be so pleased with me.

    Harold potter esq, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Noz

    Noz Guest

    Many thanks Harold.

    I shall give that a go.

    Best regards,

    Noz

    Noz, Mar 6, 2006
  4. Noz

    greg Guest

    Another thing you could try is right click on the "my computer" icon in the
    start menu. Then select the "manage" option. from there select the disk
    management option. this will show you if the drive is there or not. what
    might have happened is that windows did not assign a drive letter to it.
    if that was the case, then it would not show up when you explored "my
    computer". if you can see a drive but just a blank space where the drive
    letter should be, then right click at that drive and select "change drive
    letter and path". from there just assign it a letter.

    If there is no drive present then I would check the jumpers on the drive as
    well as the connections. although if you saw it on w98, then it should be
    on wxp.

    greg, Mar 6, 2006