    find a citation, either federal law or state(s) addressing click
    fraud. I have googled "click fraud" and variants but have found
    nothing. Any help would be appreciated. JM

    autodog, Jun 24, 2008

  2. autodog

    Todd H. Guest

    autodog <> writes:

    > Greetings, I am taking a white collar crime class and am trying to
    > find a citation, either federal law or state(s) addressing click
    > fraud. I have googled "click fraud" and variants but have found
    > nothing. Any help would be appreciated. JM

    I'm not sure you'll find one specifically.

    I am not a lawyer, and not even an advertiser, but thinking about the
    problem for 5 minutes I'd say I wouldn't be surprised if the "fraud"
    that occurs with these pay per click agreements is really civil rather
    than criminal in nature.

    That is, I might imagine the "fraud" is really doing something that's
    expressly against the terms of the advertising contract between teh
    hosting site and the people buying the advertising.

    The wikipedia page on click fraud cites 3 class action cases:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_fraud

    And if the class action wikipedia page is to be believed, these are
    civil cases governed by overned by Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
    Rule 23
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action#United_States

    The key word there being "civil."

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Jun 25, 2008

  3. autodog

    autodog Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:29:40 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "autodog" <>
    >
    >| Greetings, I am taking a white collar crime class and am trying to
    >| find a citation, either federal law or state(s) addressing click
    >| fraud. I have googled "click fraud" and variants but have found
    >| nothing. Any help would be appreciated. JM
    >
    >Please define what you perceive to be "click fraud".

    I guess one of the better definitions I've come across goes something
    like this....Click fraud occurs when a person or a programmed script
    incurs a "pay-per-click" charge event for an advertiser by causing the
    appearance of a legitimate visitor to the advertisers web site.

    autodog, Jun 25, 2008
  4. autodog

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:07:12 +0430, autodog <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:29:40 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    ><DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >
    >>From: "autodog" <>
    >>
    >>| Greetings, I am taking a white collar crime class and am trying to
    >>| find a citation, either federal law or state(s) addressing click
    >>| fraud. I have googled "click fraud" and variants but have found
    >>| nothing. Any help would be appreciated. JM
    >>
    >>Please define what you perceive to be "click fraud".

    >I guess one of the better definitions I've come across goes something
    >like this....Click fraud occurs when a person or a programmed script
    >incurs a "pay-per-click" charge event for an advertiser by causing the
    >appearance of a legitimate visitor to the advertisers web site.

    Its a civil matter covered by the contract in place between the
    non clicking parties.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 26, 2008
  5. autodog

    autodog Guest

    Thank you Mr. Watt, I have since found that you are correct. Thanks
    again. Jim

    autodog, Jun 29, 2008