    I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.

    So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

    <rj>

    Guest, Jul 21, 2005

  2. <RJ> wrote:
    > Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
    >
    > Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
    > ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
    > in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
    >
    > I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
    > have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
    >
    > I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
    >
    > So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

    Nikon Coolpix series - Nikon 990/995/4500. They have a swivelling body,
    and extremely good macro capability. Despite being only 3.1MP, they
    produce good 10 x 8 inch prints. The Nikon 990 needs a touch of
    switch-cleaner on it's mode switch from time to time. The Nikon Coolpix
    900 first came out in 1998, seven years ago.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 21, 2005

  3. <RJ> wrote:
    > Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
    >
    > Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
    > ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
    > in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
    >
    > I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
    > have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
    >
    > I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
    >
    > So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

    Canon 10D?

    Siddhartha Jain, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Guest

    dylan Guest

    "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    > Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
    >
    > Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
    > ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
    > in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
    >
    > I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
    > have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
    >
    > I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
    >
    > So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?

    Canon G1, mines had a bit of abuse and a few drops and lost a few screws,
    but still works fine.

    dylan, Jul 21, 2005
  5. <RJ> wrote:

    > Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
    >
    > Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
    > ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
    > in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
    >
    > I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
    > have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
    >
    > I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
    >
    > So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?
    >
    > <rj>

    The classic for *me* will be the Kodak DC4800. But the consensus pick
    has got to be Nikon Coolpixeseses, such as the 990.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Of course I went to law school. - Warren Zevon, "Mr. Bad Example"

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Guest

    henryp Guest

    Olympus C-8080, IMHO

    henryp, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Guest

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:41:21 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >Nikon Coolpix series - Nikon 990/995/4500. They have a swivelling body,
    >and extremely good macro capability. Despite being only 3.1MP, they
    >produce good 10 x 8 inch prints. The Nikon 990 needs a touch of
    >switch-cleaner on it's mode switch from time to time. The Nikon Coolpix
    >900 first came out in 1998, seven years ago.

    I'll second that. I still use my 5 yr old 990 at work from time to time.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Guest

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "<RJ>" <> wrote in message
    > Digital camera have been around for 5 (?) years now.
    >
    > Have any brands emerged as "keepers" ?
    > ie; durable, resourcful, get-the-job-done"
    > in the fashion of the old NIKON SLRs ?
    >
    > I've been through a few digi-cams, and all
    > have suffered from one relibility problem or another.
    >
    > I have no problem with buying "used", 3mp, etc.
    >
    > So....what'll be the "classic" of this era ?
    >
    > <rj>

    d30?

    Dirty Harry, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Guest

    skroob Guest

    still use the DC4800 as my backup to my D70. That was a great camera. Good
    quality, and you can get a set of lenses to slide on the end of the fixed
    lens (macro lenses, wideangle, and a 2x tele).

    skroob, Jul 22, 2005