    Can you switch it off, and use the Win2k style proper search? I know it's
    still beta, but the team responsible for the search abortion really need
    to get a clue...
    Mark Gillespie, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Interesting. I find Vista's search capabilities light years better than
    XP's.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 26, 2006

  3. On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:51:11 +0100, Mark Gillespie
    <> wrote:

    > Just when you thought Windows XP "Bob Dog" search could not get any
    > worse, they throw the Vista search at you, which is totally useless. (I
    > have just spent 1/2 hour trying to get it to find .svn files which I
    > know exist, but it fails to find).
    >
    > Can you switch it off, and use the Win2k style proper search? I know
    > it's still beta, but the team responsible for the search abortion really
    > need to get a clue...

    Sorry, meant to post this to the vista group, but had a funny 5 minutes
    and posted it here... As it seems, Vista search cannot find hidden files,
    and there is no way I can see to turn it on :-( Perhaps Vista is not
    designed for power users...

    I have raised a bug report about it, but the whole search dialog is very
    "busy", with lots going on, very poor show, hopefully it will improve in
    later builds.

    Mark Gillespie, Jul 26, 2006
  4. Mark Gillespie

    mikeyhsd Guest

    you have to change the extent of what is indexed for it to work.
    Control Panel Indexing, Global Settings and add the drives/folders you want indexed.
    then sit back and wait for the indexing to complete, it can then find what you want almost as fast as Xp X-64

    mikeyhsd, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Do you have Show Hidden Files and Folders chosen on the Windows
    Explorer/Organize/Folder and Search Options/Folder Options/View tab ?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2006
  6. Mark Gillespie

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with you. Vista search is a major step backwards. Many other
    postings have agreed

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2006
  7. Mark Gillespie

    DP Guest

    There was something I used to have to do in earlier versions of Windows, but
    not in x64.
    For some reason, if I searched for ".doc" it wouldn't come up with anything.
    But if I searched for "*.doc" it would find the files. The asterisk did the
    trick.

    You might try that. Though, it would be really stupid if MS reverted to that
    form of searching.

    DP, Jul 27, 2006
  8. Mark Gillespie

    Jed Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Just when you thought Windows XP "Bob Dog" search could not get any worse,
    >they throw the Vista search at you, which is totally useless. (I have just
    >spent 1/2 hour trying to get it to find .svn files which I know exist, but
    >it fails to find).
    >
    >Can you switch it off, and use the Win2k style proper search? I know it's
    >still beta, but the team responsible for the search abortion really need
    >to get a clue...

    You might take a look at Agent Ransack:

    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download

    It's been around for years. I tried it instead of Windows XP Find
    years ago and never looked back. Much faster and accurate.

    It does work with x64 and I assume will work with Vista.
    Jed, Jul 27, 2006
  9. On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:53:09 +0100, Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst
    <@msn.com>> wrote:

    > Do you have Show Hidden Files and Folders chosen on the Windows
    > Explorer/Organize/Folder and Search Options/Folder Options/View tab ?

    Yes, that's what crazy, as I can SEE the files that search fails to find!!!

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0630-2, 07/26/2006
    Tested on: 7/27/2006 8:28:25 AM
    Mark Gillespie, Jul 27, 2006
  10. So do I.
    Gimme classic search back.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 27, 2006
  11. On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:53:09 +0100, Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst
    <@msn.com>> wrote:

    > Do you have Show Hidden Files and Folders chosen on the Windows
    > Explorer/Organize/Folder and Search Options/Folder Options/View tab ?

    That's whats odd, I do, and I can SEE the files that search can't...

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0630-2, 07/26/2006
    Tested on: 7/27/2006 10:22:22 PM
    Mark Gillespie, Jul 27, 2006
  12. Mark Gillespie

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Mikey.

    > then sit back and wait for the indexing to complete,

    Can you quantify this, please, Mikey? I've waited for HOURs for it to index
    my 60 GB volume, and I have no idea how much longer it would take if I
    hadn't aborted it. :>( And I'm afraid to turn it loose on 80 GB of
    archives and Windows Mail message files. Is it supposed to be used only for
    <20 GB volumes?

    The index time might be OK if it would just quietly do its job in the
    background. But I - and many others here - have complained bitterly that it
    hogs the CPU so badly that we can't get any work done until the indexing
    finishes. And, it seems, that might take years. And when a new build
    comes, we'll have to suffer through it again. So I've excluded all the big
    volumes where Search might really be useful.

    What am I missing here? What's the secret?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA [RC]
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (currently running Windows Mail 7 in Vista x64 Build 5472)

    R. C. White, Jul 27, 2006
  13. Mark Gillespie

    mabra Guest

    Hi All !

    If I hear all that about Vista search, I'll never use it!!!
    Windows search is - until now - one of the biggest pain ever!

    Even the basic search cannot search for exact filenames and even the
    wildcards are not properly used. Also it looks like MS has never heard
    anything about regular expressions? Search also is not able to detect,
    that a document is using unicode;You'll never find text in such docs!!
    And, why not search inside DLL's, what developers partially want??

    The next step was the introduction of the index server. But using it's
    properties is nearly impossible and you'll have usually to be a hardcore
    developer to deal with it. You even cannot find the properties in the MS
    web, the docs are really very messy. Part of them stems from the Shell
    API, other parts from the document summary information, other parts from
    indexserver. I never found anyone, who was able to write a script which
    shows the "last visited" property of Internet Explorer Favorites!!!

    Also, if one enables indexserver, normal search becomes completely
    unusable:I have a large area of subdirs, like
    this:"MS-InterNetExporer-v6.01" etc. containing reference docs,
    zip-files with add-ons, documents and possibly a "unpacked" subfolder.
    I have this for each product and sample, organized by manufacturer.

    If I search my download area, I normally have only to look for
    directories and their update date and this is very fast. If indexserver
    is enabled, this is no longer working!!! Not one directory will be found :-(
    If one makes a Google search for samples using MS' indexserver for
    websites, you can recognize very fast, that there is really only a very
    small set of infos and it's management is also pure pain.

    Additionally, since XP/Windows 2003, all - in my case up to 5.000
    zip-files will be searched!!!!!!!!!!!! What a mess!!! I explicitely
    selected search for "folders", not inside zip-archives!!!!

    There is a nice option to skip "slow files", for files, which possibly
    currently exist only on separate media, if one uses media services. Why
    can MS not provide optiosn to "skip archives", "skip moutpoints" ??????
    I had just to de-install the OS possebility to manage ZIP [it has other
    bugs also :-( ].

    What a wonder:There is one of the biggest company ever, having really
    also [some] good technologies, but they cannot offer any reasonable
    search!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder, that there are countless add-ons and the
    world uses Google Desktop Search :-(

    This is really poor! MS only investigates one cent, if they expect to
    get back billios! There were no investigations for IE in the last years,
    they startet to act in the moment, they left markez share for
    Firefox!!!! I could give countless samples like this, so for writing
    DVD's in UDF 2.x format and many other stories. MS gave us the AJAX
    technology years ago [I've used it for some of my web's since the
    appearance of the XML HTTP Request object] but is was not really
    "usable", due to lack in developement support. Since the world has it -
    provided by freeware authors and other organization, MS jumps right onto
    the running train.

    I just wrote most of this statements about search earlier [
    http://microsoft.weblogsinc.com/2006/05/24/microsofts-search-ideas/ ]
    but was so naiv to think, Vista/WinFS will finally change this, but now,
    I hear the Vista voices and we all know, there will not be a WinFS .....
    I just copied over some media-files onto my Vista beta, and it was not
    able to diplay the play-time :-(

    I am very disappointed.

    Best regards,
    Manfred