    "Ah. The searing kiss of hot lead; how I missed you.
    I mean, I think I'm dying."

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Tarkus

    JMK Guest

    Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I hadn't heard of this. I'm no major
    collector, but a cursory glance at their eligible list shows I have almost
    40 of their titles. A couple of things confuse me--they have films from
    the 40s on the list (e.g., the Sabu "Thief of Bagdad") that were never
    released in widescreen to begin with (obviously). And they have more recent
    features that I don't think were ever released in widescreen on DVD (e.g.,
    All Dogs Go To Heaven). Can anybody give me more info on this? TIA.

    --

    The Truth About Frances Farmer:
    http://hometown.aol.com/jmkauffman/sheddinglight.html

    JMK, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Tarkus

    docdude316 Guest

    JMK wrote:
    > Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I hadn't heard of this. I'm no major
    > collector, but a cursory glance at their eligible list shows I have almost
    > 40 of their titles. A couple of things confuse me--they have films from
    > the 40s on the list (e.g., the Sabu "Thief of Bagdad") that were never
    > released in widescreen to begin with (obviously). And they have more recent
    > features that I don't think were ever released in widescreen on DVD (e.g.,
    > All Dogs Go To Heaven). Can anybody give me more info on this? TIA.

    If I understand the lawsuit correctly it has nothing to do with the
    actual discs themselves but the packaging. The wording on the packaging
    is false or misleading in some way.

    -Doc

    docdude316, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Tarkus

    FAQmeister Guest

    "docdude316" <> wrote in message
    > JMK wrote:
    >> Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I hadn't heard of this. I'm no
    >> major collector, but a cursory glance at their eligible list shows I
    >> have almost 40 of their titles. A couple of things confuse
    >> me--they have films from the 40s on the list (e.g., the Sabu "Thief
    >> of Bagdad") that were never released in widescreen to begin with
    >> (obviously). And they have more recent features that I don't think
    >> were ever released in widescreen on DVD (e.g., All Dogs Go To
    >> Heaven). Can anybody give me more info on this? TIA.

    > If I understand the lawsuit correctly it has nothing to do with the
    > actual discs themselves but the packaging. The wording on the
    > packaging is false or misleading in some way.
    >
    > -Doc

    The packaging indicated that their widescreen DVDs showed more image
    width than their "standard screen" DVDs. A couple of lawyers decided
    they could cash in by making accusations of fraud on what was little
    more than an unfortunate choice of wording, and MGM calculated that a
    settlement of minimal value was cheaper than putting up a fight.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Tarkus

    Mike Kohary Guest

    JMK wrote:
    > Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I hadn't heard of this. I'm no
    > major collector, but a cursory glance at their eligible list shows I
    > have almost 40 of their titles. A couple of things confuse me--they
    > have films from the 40s on the list (e.g., the Sabu "Thief of
    > Bagdad") that were never released in widescreen to begin with
    > (obviously). And they have more recent features that I don't think
    > were ever released in widescreen on DVD (e.g., All Dogs Go To
    > Heaven). Can anybody give me more info on this? TIA.

    The lawsuit is based on semantics, though MGM could have used better
    wording. There is nothing wrong with the discs - the lawsuit was based
    entirely on the packaging.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2005
  6. Tarkus

    Biz Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message

    > The lawsuit is based on semantics, though MGM could have used better
    > wording. There is nothing wrong with the discs - the lawsuit was based
    > entirely on the packaging.

    SO a win for the plaintiff should just mean they need to fix their
    packaging, correct? These class action lawsuits over BS things needs to
    stop...there are too many MJ's out there that need to be in court much
    more....

    Biz, Feb 1, 2005
  7. Tarkus

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The lawsuit is based on semantics, though MGM could have used better
    >> wording. There is nothing wrong with the discs - the lawsuit was
    >> based entirely on the packaging.

    > SO a win for the plaintiff should just mean they need to fix their
    > packaging, correct? These class action lawsuits over BS things needs
    > to stop...

    Well, MGM decided to settle (note it's only proposed at this point, the
    plaintiff hasn't accepted), probably because that was the cheapest route.
    It certainly wasn't a "win" for the plaintiff, and MGM admits no wrongdoing.
    But yeah, it was all about what they put on their packaging, combined with
    the ignorance of the plaintiffs as to the widescreen process. The DVDs
    themselves are perfectly fine, and nobody has been ripped off:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/mgmsuit/mgmsuit.html

    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Tarkus

    Richard C. Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The lawsuit is based on semantics, though MGM could have used better
    >> wording. There is nothing wrong with the discs - the lawsuit was based
    >> entirely on the packaging.
    >>

    > SO a win for the plaintiff should just mean they need to fix their
    > packaging, correct? These class action lawsuits over BS things needs to
    > stop...there are too many MJ's out there that need to be in court much
    > more....

    ==============================
    The lawsuit has only made things worse.
    Now MGM movies say they are in "dvd screen format"........whatever the ****

    Richard C., Feb 2, 2005
  9. Tarkus

    Biz Guest

    What was the dickhea..I mean plaintiff's name again. I'd like to start a
    slander campaign against him for taking up space on planet earth...

    ****

    Biz, Feb 2, 2005