    ( See example at hyperlink below)
    CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    Mike P., Sep 26, 2006

  2. Mike P.

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Mike P. wrote:

    > When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    > ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    > Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    > publish on web page.
    > ( See example at hyperlink below)
    > CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    > http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    It's tough to say what's happening.

    What were the pixel dimensions before you resized it?

    What software are you using?

    Can you post a 'before' and 'after' image?

    Jim Townsend, Sep 26, 2006

  3. > When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    > ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    > Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    > publish on web page.
    > ( See example at hyperlink below)
    > CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    > http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    A little contrast-brightness adjustment and especially
    unsharp-mask sharpening helps (see attachment on
    the email I sent you of the modified image - and
    compare it with your original uploaded image...).
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Mike P.

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Mike
    P. says...
    > When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    > ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    > Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    > publish on web page.
    > ( See example at hyperlink below)
    > CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    > http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    It looks a bit too compressed at 14 KByte.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Mike P.

    Jim Guest

    "Mike P." <> wrote in message
    > When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    > ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    > Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    > publish on web page.
    > ( See example at hyperlink below)
    > CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    > http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    "only step I took was reducing image to publish on web page."
    is the cause of the problem. There simply aren't enough pixels present in
    the image.
    Jim

    Jim, Sep 26, 2006
  6. Mike P.

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Mike P." <> wrote in message
    > When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    > ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    > Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    > publish on web page.
    > ( See example at hyperlink below)
    > CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    > http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    Not exactly what you mean, it looks sharp to me!

    When you resize, you loose information. Try this, Photograph a newspaper
    page at 3 feet. Any properly functioning camera should produce readable text
    in the image. Now, down sample the image to 640x480. The text turns to blobs
    of grey.

    I usually sharpen the image a bit after downsizing. The algorithm for
    downsampling doesn't just take every few pixes and toss out the rest in
    between, it sort of averages the group of pixes and combines it to one. To
    help reduce alaising in the downsample the algorithm may soften the image a
    bit. Thus, sharpening may help.

    JPEG compression. Your image has lots of artifacts around objects in the
    image. You might lessen the strength of compression, but not too much to
    make downloading slow. Afterall, it is for Web use.

    John

    JohnR66, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Mike P.

    Marvin Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, Mike
    > P. says...
    >
    >>When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    >>ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    >>Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    >>publish on web page.
    >> ( See example at hyperlink below)
    >>CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    >>http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    > It looks a bit too compressed at 14 KByte.

    jpeg compression artifacts are usually most visible in the
    sky as banding. I don't see it in this photo. The photo is
    displayed on my monitor at 74 ppi, which is typical. It
    can't be expected to show a lot of detail.

    Marvin, Sep 27, 2006
  8. "Marvin" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article <>, Mike P. says...

    >>>When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    >>>ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    >>>Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    >>>publish on web page.
    >>> ( See example at hyperlink below)
    >>>CAPE MAY LIGHTHOUSE PHOTO
    >>>http://www.webspawner.com/users/hwww/capemaylighthou.html

    >> It looks a bit too compressed at 14 KByte.

    > jpeg compression artifacts are usually most visible in the sky as banding. I don't see it in this photo.

    I don't either, and even re-jpg'ing the OP's image after modifying it
    by opening up the midrange a bit, increasing the color saturation,
    and sharpening it with unsharp-masking, it shows little effect
    from compression artifacting (which usually shows up as "wubbling"
    in small areas immediately around contrasty details in the smooth
    tone areas of the photo, like the sky...).

    David Ruether, Sep 27, 2006
  9. Mike P.

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Mike P. wrote:
    > When I upload a picture to a web site , it appears blured when I went
    > ot view the web page. I have experienced this before.
    > Steps I took before upload : only step I took was reducing image to
    > publish on web page.

    The diagonal lines for the parking spaces look 'stepped' or aliased to
    me, like the reduction step was done wrong. What software are you
    using to downsample? Even with Photoshop you have different resampling
    options and I'd guess you'll get something like this with 'nearest
    neighbor' or similar whereas 'bicubic sharper' will do a better job.

    Maybe crop out a section of the parking lot space lines and work with
    that using various downsampling methods until the lines look clean and
    not stepped ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 27, 2006