    starting out which language(s) would you suggest for an absolute beginner?

    Thanks
    WestarADG

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=, Apr 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=

    Blackmetal Guest

    The language is the same. What it changes from editions, are the features
    that you can use on the IDE, but VB is VB

    Blackmetal, Apr 5, 2006

  3. COBOL

    Just kidding :) .... although I am one of the few people in the world who
    actually liked COBOL.

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWEgQg==?=, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Blackmetal,
    Thanks for your input.

    Julia B.
    Yikes!....Glad you added "Just Kidding" because I don't know the difference.

    My biggest concern is just trying to figure out where to start, (what
    language to start with?) It's a little overwhelming for the older student
    that's why I thought the VB Express free download along with the first
    several video lessons free online was a good place to jump in?

    Any additional guidance or advice on a learning path is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.
    WestarADG

    =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=, Apr 6, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=

    Blackmetal Guest

    Well, my suggestion is start with basic features and basic projects, like
    creating controls in a form and know the most common and most used
    properties, methods, events, etc.

    What really happens is that according the edition that you have, you will be
    able or not for example, to create a class library or more advanced
    projects, but as I said in my prior post, the core language is the same

    Blackmetal, Apr 6, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=

    Blackmetal Guest

    Do you still use COBOL?

    in the late 80s, that is was one of my favorites languages, really powerful
    but difficult also. I don't know if still exists or what changes or
    improvements might have. I abandoned it when I met FOXPLUS and Clipper (VERY
    old school, aren't they?) jaja.

    Take care with the Environment Division, jaja just kidding! :)

    Blackmetal, Apr 6, 2006
  7. You don't have to look far to find a shop that still uses legacy languages
    like COBOL. Many businesses still do there core business processing on
    mainframes.

    =?Utf-8?B?am9uYXRoYW4=?=, Apr 6, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=

    kc Guest

    Microsoft seems to have dropped the ".NET" bit and just refers to the
    2005 version of VB.NET as "Visual Basic 2005". Same with "Visual
    Studio 2005".

    kc, Apr 8, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?V2VzdGFyYWRn?=

    kc Guest

    There are lots of resource available, either online or as printed
    books. One good place to visit often is MSDN, specifically
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/ for VB developers. There is a free
    e-book for download. It's a good starting point to learn.

    kc, Apr 8, 2006
  10. No, I don't use COBOL or any other programming language. I'm a Network
    Technician. But when I was in college I had several programming languages
    that were required. I had to take 3 quarters of COBOL. I made A's in all of
    them. I just really enjoyed it. I also had to take Basic, Visual Basic, and
    RPG II. The only one I hated was RPG II. It's aweful!

    I know COBOL is still being used though. Our billing system was programmed
    using COBOL and runs on a Unix (AIX) server.

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWEgQg==?=, Apr 10, 2006