Clarification on VTP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by CraftWorks, Oct 29, 2007.

  1. CraftWorks

    CraftWorks Guest

    Hi,
    Greetings and a Good day to you. I need a clarification.
    Say there are 5 Switches on a LAN (With Static VLANs).
    Let's call them
    1)SWT - A
    2)SWT - B
    3)SWT - C
    4)SWT - D
    5)SWT - E

    Let's say each on these Switches are interconnect to at least Two of
    the above mentioned switches. Let's Say two of these Switches i.e. SWT
    - A and SWT - B are also connected to a Router.

    All of these Switches are on a Single VTP Domain. We do not know how
    many of these switches are Servers but there obviously is one Switch
    which acts as a VTP Server Switch. Now one has access to Let us say
    "SWT - C" which is a VTP client Switch. When I say access I imply on
    the console with a rollover cable.

    Clarification One
    -----------------

    Now how do we know from the information on "SWT - C" that which
    Switches are acting as or deployed as a Server of the VTP Domain.

    Clarification Two
    -----------------

    Suppose One "VTP Server Switch" is disconnected from the domain for 20
    minutes and then reconnect again back, in the 20 minute period what
    happens to the VLANS on the Domain as a whole.

    Some links to Authoritative information would also be helpful.
    Thanks,
    CraftWorks.
    CraftWorks, Oct 29, 2007

  2. CraftWorks

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 29, 7:15 am, CraftWorks <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Greetings and a Good day to you. I need a clarification.
    > Say there are 5 Switches on a LAN (With Static VLANs).
    > Let's call them
    > 1)SWT - A
    > 2)SWT - B
    > 3)SWT - C
    > 4)SWT - D
    > 5)SWT - E
    >
    > Let's say each on these Switches are interconnect to at least Two of
    > the above mentioned switches. Let's Say two of these Switches i.e. SWT
    > - A and SWT - B are also connected to a Router.
    >
    > All of these Switches are on a Single VTP Domain. We do not know how
    > many of these switches are Servers but there obviously is one Switch
    > which acts as a VTP Server Switch. Now one has access to Let us say
    > "SWT - C" which is a VTP client Switch. When I say access I imply on
    > the console with a rollover cable.
    >
    > Clarification One
    > -----------------
    >
    > Now how do we know from the information on "SWT - C" that which
    > Switches are acting as or deployed as a Server of the VTP Domain.
    >
    > Clarification Two
    > -----------------
    >
    > Suppose One "VTP Server Switch" is disconnected from the domain for 20
    > minutes and then reconnect again back, in the 20 minute period what
    > happens to the VLANS on the Domain as a whole.
    >
    > Some links to Authoritative information would also be helpful.
    > Thanks,
    > CraftWorks.

    I don't know of a way to show which switches are servers without
    physically going to them and doing a show vtp or show config. You can
    verify how many vlans they know about, and the domain they are in, but
    doing a show vtp domain or show vtp status depending on IOS or CAT.

    As for a disconnection, it all depends on your architecture. Simply
    taking away a vtp domain inherently should do nothing, but if that
    switch also has layer 3 in it (via msfc or l3 switch), then you will
    be down. If all other switches have connections to the layer 3 owner
    of the vlans, or redundant connections, then switches will continue to
    work. All VTP does is distribute a list of vlans along with names,
    configurations, and numbers to other switches to ensure vlans are
    synched up across layer 2 switches. If the master goes away, the rest
    continue to know about the vlans, and will continue to forward traffic
    as necessary. Provided they can still forward frames that will reach
    the router (gateway), things should be fine. If however the master is
    also the router or has the only uplink to the router (since most
    people make the vtp server the 'core' switch or switches which should
    be closely aligned with the l3 interfaces), then your network will
    have impact.

    Here is Cisco's documentation:

    http://www.javvin.com/protocolVTP.html
    Trendkill, Oct 29, 2007