    restriction due to the fact that the Master Boot Record (MBR) can only hold
    4 entries.

    Thanks

    Will Hay, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Will Hay

    John D Loop Guest

    "Will Hay" <> wrote in message
    news:c2f9f2$vue$...
    > Am I correct in thinking that a HD can only have 4 partitions - 1 Primary
    > DOS, 1 Extended DOS(Containing Logical Drives) and 2 others. Also, is this
    > restriction due to the fact that the Master Boot Record (MBR) can only

    hold
    > 4 entries.
    >
    > Thanks

    I believe this is correct. Windows FDISK restricts you to 1 primary. Other
    tools will let you have more than 1 primary.
    The install tools of XP/Win2k/Linux will add a second primary if one already
    exists (if there is free space)- that is how you can multiboot.
    The initial boot screen will let you choose which primary partition to make
    active.
    One of the 4 can be an extended partition, in which you can place multiple
    (8?) logical drives.
    John--
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com
    You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    over again.

    John D Loop, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Will Hay

    sAxMAn Guest

    "John D Loop" <> wrote in message

    > "Will Hay" <> wrote in message
    > > Am I correct in thinking that a HD can only have 4 partitions - 1

    Primary
    > > DOS, 1 Extended DOS(Containing Logical Drives) and 2 others. Also, is

    this
    > > restriction due to the fact that the Master Boot Record (MBR) can only

    > hold
    > > 4 entries.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > I believe this is correct. Windows FDISK restricts you to 1 primary.

    Other
    > tools will let you have more than 1 primary.
    > The install tools of XP/Win2k/Linux will add a second primary if one

    already
    > exists (if there is free space)- that is how you can multiboot.
    > The initial boot screen will let you choose which primary partition to

    make
    > active.
    > One of the 4 can be an extended partition, in which you can place multiple
    > (8?) logical drives.
    > John--
    > Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and

    wireless
    > homenetworking environments!
    > www.pccitizen.com
    > You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
    > let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
    > over again.

    You can have up to 23 logical partitions in the extended partition.

    sAxMAn, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Will Hay

    jim6538 Guest

    If its Windows 2000 with dynamic drives there is no restriction on the
    number of volumes. I have over 350 partitions on a stiped volume. I've
    found it easier to manage a web server with individual volumes for
    each web site's content. When I install a new site I just create a
    volume out of the unpartitioned space and mount it to a folder. This
    way the site's owner is restricted to the amount of space purchased.
    If they buy more space I extend the volume. You could use quotas but
    I've found this works well for me.

    jim6538, Mar 7, 2004