    The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
    Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
    camera. Any thoughts on this?
    irwell, Mar 16, 2005

  2. irwell

    JohnR66 Guest

    You could try it. Somce cameras don't like to read jpegs it didn't create.
    Some jpegs I editied in Paintshop pro and put back on the card would not
    show - invalid file, while others would. Not sure why. I took the card to
    the printers and all images printed.
    John

    JohnR66, Mar 17, 2005

  3. irwell

    cambium Guest

    It's an interesting idea, so I just tried it on a map of the French Alps
    where I was bicycling a few years ago. I have a Nikon 8800 with, I think, a
    1.8 inch lcd screen. It has a 10X zoom when replaying the picture.

    What I found was that all the information is there, and you could use it in
    a pinch, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it. Any view is either too
    close and detailed or too distant and hard to see. To see detail you have
    to zoom in, and then you get lost about the big picture. If you had a
    computer to view it on, it would be fine.

    A map is something you need to access while you are on the move, and
    ususally the person you are with wants to see too. I just don't think it
    would work well.

    All the best...

    cambium, Mar 17, 2005
  4. irwell

    irwell Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:12:56 GMT, "cambium" <> wrote:

    >It's an interesting idea, so I just tried it on a map of the French Alps
    >where I was bicycling a few years ago. I have a Nikon 8800 with, I think, a
    >1.8 inch lcd screen. It has a 10X zoom when replaying the picture.
    >
    >What I found was that all the information is there, and you could use it in
    >a pinch, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it. Any view is either too
    >close and detailed or too distant and hard to see. To see detail you have
    >to zoom in, and then you get lost about the big picture.

    Probably be good for say, the area near where you are
    staying in a strange place. Rather like the Plan de Quartier in the
    Paris Metro stations. I toyed with it a bit, and also re-sized
    on the camera to a smaller resolution, it still zooms up with
    readable information.

    irwell, Mar 17, 2005
  5. irwell

    irwell Guest

    Was thinking more of shooting the map using the macro
    feature, rather than copying a jpg.

    irwell, Mar 17, 2005
  6. irwell

    Paul H. Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > My little jewel of a Sony W1 only came with a 32 Mb stick.
    > Bought a 512 as a standard.
    > I was thinking of shooting some copies of City maps of
    > Paris and London in segments and using the 32mb stick.
    > The W1 has a decent size LCD and enlarges with good detail.
    > Rather than digging out a paper map would just fire up the
    > camera. Any thoughts on this?

    I don't know if the procedure will work with your Sony, but I'd like to
    thank you for the suggestion. I live in the East SF Bay Area and do a
    considerable amout of hiking in East Bay parks. The East Bay Regional Park
    District (www.ebparks.org) graciously provides fairly detailed maps in .pdf
    format for nearly all of their many parks, so I imported maps of my
    favorites into Photoshop then re-scaled, re-sized and and stored them as
    JPEG's, and transferred the files to the appropriate directory on a fairly
    useless (up til now, anyway) 32MB CF card which I had previously formatted
    in my Fujifilm S7000 zlr camera. The only special thing I did to the files
    was to give them all Fuji-type file names, e.g., "DSCF9599.JPG" and the
    like.

    The maps work great in my camera and I can zoom, pan, and view them to my
    heart's desire. Give it a try, I say! And thanks again for the idea.
    Paul H., Mar 17, 2005