Citbank name used in scam

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mauricio Freitas, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. I've got this in a couple of spam trap mailboxes I have...

    "Dear Citibank customer,

    We are letting you know, that you, as a Citibank checking account holder,
    must become acquainted with our new Terms & Conditions and agree to it.

    Please, carefully read all the parts of our new Terms & Conditions and post
    your consent.
    Otherwise, we will have to suspend your Citibank checking account.

    This measure is to prevent misunderstanding between us and our valued
    customers.

    We are sorry for any inconvinience it may cause."

    Of course I'm not a Citibank customer (was once, but they never had my
    e-mail), the site linked from there is in some obscure country in Asia, and
    the page asks for the card #, PIN and customer name.

    Yeah, right...

    Be aware!

    --
    Mauricio Freitas

    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 17, 2003

  2. Mauricio Freitas

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <1VF%a.11977$>,
    lid says...
    > I've got this in a couple of spam trap mailboxes I have...
    >
    > "Dear Citibank customer,
    >
    > We are letting you know, that you, as a Citibank checking account holder,
    > must become acquainted with our new Terms & Conditions and agree to it.
    >
    > Please, carefully read all the parts of our new Terms & Conditions and post
    > your consent.
    > Otherwise, we will have to suspend your Citibank checking account.
    >
    > This measure is to prevent misunderstanding between us and our valued
    > customers.
    >
    > We are sorry for any inconvinience it may cause."
    >

    > Of course I'm not a Citibank customer (was once, but they never had my
    > e-mail), the site linked from there is in some obscure country in Asia, and
    > the page asks for the card #, PIN and customer name.
    >
    > Yeah, right...
    >
    > Be aware!

    In this country similar scams have been tried with ANZ and most recently
    Westpac customers.

    Mainlander, Aug 18, 2003