CISSP certification

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Rowdy Yates, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Rowdy Yates

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Hi all. I posted a while ago about CISSP. Well since then, I did a bit of
    research on it, and I decided I was aiming too high. It looks like you
    can't "just" decide to pursue this certifation. You actually need "real
    word" experience. 3 to 4 years of it apparently. So I guess I'll start with
    the Security+ and then perhaps look at either CheckPoint's CCSA or
    Symantec's SCSP and see if that gets me a job.

    My point is, when I was trying to get into IT, it was a catch-22 situation.
    No one wanted to give you an IT job, because you don't have experience. But
    you can't get experience without an IT job. Now I have 5 years experience
    doing network administration and want to get out of it.

    Well, this is begining to look like a catch-22 situation all over again,
    except this time I have experience, but not the right kind of experience.
    Life sucks!

    Sorry, for the rant. My question, how come I am not seeing any junior level
    security jobs out there? They are all mid-level to senior. All jobs that
    have anything to do with security require experience and/or CISSP. Am I
    missing something?

    RY, MCSE
    Rowdy Yates, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Rowdy Yates

    Eirik Seim Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:56:58 GMT, Rowdy Yates wrote:

    [snip]

    > Now I have 5 years experience
    > doing network administration and want to get out of it.

    You must have been doing some really weird (and dangerous?) network
    administration if security was not a major part of it.

    This was meant more as a "you should have security related experience,
    realize it, get it on your CV and use it" than a rant, really ...

    > Sorry, for the rant. My question, how come I am not seeing any junior level
    > security jobs out there?

    Because the juniors start by doing some years as a network or system
    administrator, or as a developer, depending on what kind of security
    work they aim for.

    (follow-up set to comp.security.misc)

    - Eirik
    --