CiscoWorks painfully slow

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jw, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. jw

    jw Guest

    Brand new install of CW 2000 LMS- new server Pentium Xeon 3.06Ghz, I gb Ram
    Raid 1 set.
    All CW patched up to recent revs. (LMS 2.2- RME 3.5 and DFM 1.2 all patched
    up.)
    The thing is painfully slow, when accessing the web pages either from the
    server or a client pc, it can take 5-6 minutes for the screens to draw, and
    logging in can take 3-4 mins.
    Sometimes it will even hang completely....
    Win 2k sp4, server was smokin fast before CiscoWorks went on it, and only
    CW is slow; and no other apps running on the box.

    Anyone see this before? I know CW is a memory pig, but this is unusable!

    --
    Jason

    www.JasonWhelan.com

    jw, Oct 27, 2004

  2. jw

    Ben Guest

    If something goes wrong with Cworks I always blame java!

    Ben, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Jw wrote:
    > Brand new install of CW 2000 LMS- new server Pentium Xeon 3.06Ghz, I gb Ram
    > Raid 1 set.
    > All CW patched up to recent revs. (LMS 2.2- RME 3.5 and DFM 1.2 all patched
    > up.)
    > The thing is painfully slow, when accessing the web pages either from the
    > server or a client pc, it can take 5-6 minutes for the screens to draw, and
    > logging in can take 3-4 mins.

    So what is the box doing in the meantime? Is there a lot of disk
    activity? Anything to see in the taskmanager? What's your memory
    usage?

    You probably need more memory.

    --
    Joop van der Velden

    Joop van der Velden, Oct 28, 2004
  4. jw

    Andy Guest

    Java can often be an issue with CW, especially when it runs on
    Windows. You have to make sure you're running the Java client version
    that the system prompts you for (i.e. ver. 1.4.1_02). We had to
    rebuild our LMS server (big beefy server) 4 times before it finally
    ran reasonably well, and even now it only runs OK, not great. Our
    Cisco SE had to be on-site to help because he'd seen so many flaky
    installations, even on new, powerful servers. We have HW similar to
    what you're describing - in most scenarios, a nice, phat box.

    If we weren't such a big Windows shop, I'd go for open-source net mgt.
    stuff, or at least some commercial package (i.e. HPOV) running on some
    flavor of *n*x.

    Just my $0.02:

    If, during your installation, you encountered some errors that seemed
    innocuous, they probably weren't. If you get frustrated enough, try
    uninstalling everything (it won't go cleanly), including whatever
    version of nGenius Real-Time Monitor that came bundled with CW. Talk
    about a RAM hog. Reinstall all the main packages and patches, then
    run the latest IDUs after each pkg. install (yes, this means running
    it several times during the course of a full installation). And don't
    reinstall nGenius. The whole process will take up many hours of your
    life that you'll never get back, but hey, that's our vocation. :)

    Good luck.

    Andy

    Andy, Oct 28, 2004
  5. jw

    jw Guest

    You are right on.
    It is a java issue, in fact without the web gui even open you can see 12-14
    instances of cwjava.exe in task mgr.
    The box is using 650 MB of memory without even doing anything.
    Stop the cw daemon and it all settles back down.
    ^%&^in... java. I hate that crap.
    Thank god IOS doesnt run on it or even near it.... (yet shudder)

    Thks for the advice

    --
    Jason

    www.JasonWhelan.com