    important features (in general, not just for juniper of course)?

    Thanks alot for your thoughts,
    Michael
    Perdition, Feb 12, 2008

  2. Perdition

    Thrill5 Guest

    Ciscoworks monitors everything via SNMP, so as long as you have the correct
    MIBs loaded on Ciscoworks you can monitor any device. Many of the MIBs are
    generic anyway so you will be able to monitor all the basics stuff right out
    of the box.. The only issue you will have is that automatic discovery many
    not work properly because CiscoWorks uses CDP to do this. You can manually
    do the discovery but this can be tedious, and they also have a "seedfile"
    that you can populate to the discovery process. This same problem exists in
    pure Cisco shops that have MPLS networks because CDP doesn't propagate over
    MPLS links.

    From a usefulness point-of-view, I would not use CiscoWorks to monitor your
    network. The name that people who use it call it "CiscoDoesn'tWork" because
    it is very buggy, not very scalable and doesn't even manage Cisco devices
    very well. Since you are a multivendor network, you should be looking at
    third party products that are much more capable and probably a lot cheaper.

    Thrill5, Feb 13, 2008