    Monthly call charges are astronomical so I have been asked to try to reduce
    it until broadband is approved.

    Advice appreciated....

    David Wood, Feb 6, 2005

  2. David Wood

    SysAdm Guest

    "David Wood" <> wrote in message
    news:cu64ul$j1v$...
    > Anyone have any advice to reduce the number (and cost) of dial out from an
    > ISDN Cisco router? I have advised the user to get broadband but in the
    > short term it's not possible. The main problems seem to be:
    >
    > - router ISDN channel is activated too easily (by Win98 pcs I suspect) and
    > dials for no apparent reason (ie.due to broadcast)
    > - calls are shorter in time than the minimum charge level
    >
    > Monthly call charges are astronomical so I have been asked to try to

    reduce
    > it until broadband is approved.
    >
    > Advice appreciated....

    from (amazingly enough) cisco's site:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a0080345147.html#wp1031453

    SysAdm

    ps. if the line keeps staying up after the addition of the ACL, run a "debug
    dialer packet" to determine what exactly the interesting traffic (traffic
    that brings the link up) is.

    SysAdm, Feb 6, 2005

  3. David,

    Presuming you have an access-list for your dialer (which is set to permit ip
    any any???) you havegot two options.
    1. figure out via debug dialer ??? what is causing the dialouts you dont
    want, and deny it in the acl.
    2. only allow to dial for the exact thing you want to trigger.

    Hope this helps,

    Bernard

    Bernard van de Koppel, Feb 6, 2005
  4. David Wood

    BradReeseCom Guest

    Hi David,

    Win98 could be sending a WINS request (unicast) to the DNS, this may be
    why the router dials out.

    It may help to set a filter in the router to filter out any WINS to DNS
    request.

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide