Cisco2970 gigabit ethernet port gets disabled due to loopback error

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Garrick Ransome, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    A host with a gigabit ethernet interface I am attaching to a Cisco 2970
    switch running version 12.1(11)AX of the IOS causes the Cisco switchport to
    go into a errDisable (Loop back error) state.

    I understand that the errdisable loopback detection is a new feature,
    however I cannot find any information as to what it means by searching the
    Cisco website. The host interface does not seem to cause any problems when
    attaching it to other Cisco switches.

    Setting the 'errdisable recovery cause loopback' and 'errdisable recovery
    interval 30' causes the interface to temporarily recover.

    The cisco versions I am using are as follows: IOS (tm) C2970 Software
    (C2970-I6L2-M), Version 12.1(11)AX, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

    I do not want to disable this detection feature on the switch, as it
    highlights a potential issue with the host interface which will need to be
    resolved.

    Does anyone know what may cause this error on the Cisco switch.

    Thanks in advance.

    Garrick

    Garrick Ransome, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Garrick Ransome

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["Garrick Ransome"]

    | A host with a gigabit ethernet interface I am attaching to a Cisco 2970
    | switch running version 12.1(11)AX of the IOS causes the Cisco switchport to
    | go into a errDisable (Loop back error) state.
    |
    | I understand that the errdisable loopback detection is a new feature,
    | however I cannot find any information as to what it means by searching the
    | Cisco website. The host interface does not seem to cause any problems when
    | attaching it to other Cisco switches.
    | Does anyone know what may cause this error on the Cisco switch.

    It could for instance be a temporary spanning tree problem. Cisco's
    information about this is pretty much nonexistent/worthless. See

    http://groups.google.com/groups?saf...id=<>&lr=&hl=en

    for some more discussion - this relates to 3550 switches but I assume
    it's pretty much the same on 2970 switches.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Feb 4, 2004