CISCO wireless LAN working only with Cisco Cards

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by db999@mail.com, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Our office has a cisco-based wireless lan using LEAP to authenticate.
    using cisco aironet 350 PCMCIA cards, everything works fine.

    Settings are dynamic WEP
    We authenticate using our domain username and password

    However, I (and our IS network guy) cannot get intel pro wireless 2100
    or 2200bg mini-pci wireless NICs to work in Dell D series laptops
    (these are the intel centrino wireless cards). This is using Windows
    2000.

    the MAC of the mini-PCI nic is enabled on the WLAN.

    I have the latest drivers and ProSet utility, and the Card will
    associate with the access point but not authenticate. After like 5
    minutes I get a message "802.1x failed challenge, check user
    credentials" my username and password are correct.

    One search of wi-fi forums found a similar problem which was resolved
    by changing framing to rfc1042, which our AP's are already set at.

    I am far from a cisco network wizard. I am wondering if this type of
    problem is common and may have a straightforward solution. I think our
    IS team has kind of said forget it and mandated cisco aironet 350
    pcmcia cards, and it just kind of bugs me to have a laptop with
    internal wireless tha supposedly supports LEAP and not be able to use
    it.

    thanks!

    Dennis Brenner
    , Mar 28, 2005

  2. Uli Link Guest

    > However, I (and our IS network guy) cannot get intel pro wireless 2100
    > or 2200bg mini-pci wireless NICs to work in Dell D series laptops
    > (these are the intel centrino wireless cards). This is using Windows
    > 2000.
    >
    > the MAC of the mini-PCI nic is enabled on the WLAN.
    >
    > I have the latest drivers and ProSet utility, and the Card will
    > associate with the access point but not authenticate. After like 5
    > minutes I get a message "802.1x failed challenge, check user
    > credentials" my username and password are correct.
    >
    > One search of wi-fi forums found a similar problem which was resolved
    > by changing framing to rfc1042, which our AP's are already set at.
    >
    > I am far from a cisco network wizard. I am wondering if this type of
    > problem is common and may have a straightforward solution. I think our
    > IS team has kind of said forget it and mandated cisco aironet 350
    > pcmcia cards, and it just kind of bugs me to have a laptop with
    > internal wireless tha supposedly supports LEAP and not be able to use
    > it.

    A few guesses:
    - Open Authentication + EAP is *not* enabled and
    "Network EAP" is the only allowed method
    Authenticate via "Network EAP" works only with Aironet 340/350 cards.

    - I don't know if the Intel drivers can do the
    Cisco propietary CKIP/CMIC prededessor of TKIP/Michael.

    - CCKM requiered. Then CCX v2 are mandatory.

    AFAIK Intel claims the Centrino to be "Cisco compatible" meaning it has
    the CCX (Cisco Compatible eXtensions). CKIP/CMIC and a LEAP supplicant
    are part of CCX. But perhaps not with W2k, WinXP only???

    Don't believe in Centrino. The Atheros based cards (like Cisco CB21ag)
    are *much* better, except expensive advertising and marketing campains.

    --
    Uli

    These opinions are mine. All found typos are yours.
    Uli Link, Mar 28, 2005

  3. Fish on! Guest

    "Enabled - Use 802.1x - EAP Cisco (LEAP)
    This is a version of EAP that is available only when a Cisco wireless
    adapter or Cisco-compliant wireless adapter is installed in your
    system. It uses authentication and dynamic encryption keys to secure
    the wireless network.

    To enable the use of CKIP encryption, check Enable Cisco Compatible
    Mode. "

    This is in my IBM Access Connection help menu, on my thinkpad that is
    centrino, T42, all the latest patches, XP pro,...I do have a first
    option but not the second "Enable Cisco Compatible Mode" check box.
    Leading me to believe it's not supported with the centrino, but would
    work through the IBM setup if I had a compatible card installed.
    Fish on!, Mar 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    the network eap thing was indeed the issue. thanks!
    is using open auth with eap a security risk in any way?
    , Mar 30, 2005
  5. Uli Link Guest

    schrieb:

    > is using open auth with eap a security risk in any way?

    No.

    Since Aironet 340/350 are widely available there is no obscurity plus by
    limiting access to this hardware.

    And even for the newer abg cards from Cisco you have to enable Open
    Authentication with EAP for LEAP to work.

    Open Auth with EAP is also required for WPA/EAP

    Uli Link, Mar 30, 2005