Cisco Wireless 3GHWIC + Telstra

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Damian, Dec 16, 2008.

  1. Damian

    Damian Guest

    Am looking at a solution for a client who is currently utilising Cisco
    Wireless
    3GHWIC cards.

    Has there been a firmware update to allow the cards to burst to use
    the full bandwidth that Telstra offers with the 3G Network now. Or are
    the cards limitied to 7.2Mbps.

    I have found that "difference in 3g speed is just the QAM, self
    powered divices are usally locked to a speed due to the fact the clock
    is not to spec on the new QAM, WIC cards get a solid clock from the
    socket" .

    So looking to see if a firmware upgrade will do this and if so what
    version of firmware, is it v1.1.9.3 that will allow them to utilise
    the full bandwidth of 14.4Mbps.

    Thanks

    Damian
    Damian, Dec 16, 2008

  2. Damian

    noone Guest

    The 3GHWIC uses a Sierra MC8775 mini card.

    I know this, as I updated the firmware on my laptops Sierra 8775 with
    the firmware from Cisco (my notebook manufacturer doesn't seem to
    bother with updates)

    As it is the MC8775 card, the max download speed is 3.6 Mbps, and
    upload speed is 384 Kbps.

    Have a look at:
    http://www.sierrawireless.com/product/em_comparison.aspx

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:54:44 -0800 (PST), Damian
    <> wrote:

    >Am looking at a solution for a client who is currently utilising Cisco
    >Wireless
    >3GHWIC cards.
    >
    >Has there been a firmware update to allow the cards to burst to use
    >the full bandwidth that Telstra offers with the 3G Network now. Or are
    >the cards limitied to 7.2Mbps.
    >
    >I have found that "difference in 3g speed is just the QAM, self
    >powered divices are usally locked to a speed due to the fact the clock
    >is not to spec on the new QAM, WIC cards get a solid clock from the
    >socket" .
    >
    >So looking to see if a firmware upgrade will do this and if so what
    >version of firmware, is it v1.1.9.3 that will allow them to utilise
    >the full bandwidth of 14.4Mbps.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Damian

    Tom