    if it's worth it to go with cisco is there beter stuff than cisco without
    getting insaine in the price dept? thanks

    -Nick

    Nick, May 16, 2006

  2. Nick

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Nick wrote:
    > hello, I'm going to be setting up a network for a business client. most of
    > the networks Iv'e set up are home based ones, mainly to share an internet
    > connection, or a printer here and there. well, for the business purpose he
    > wants speed and reliablity (obviously, what biz wouldn't?) I've been looking
    > into Cisco components (routers and hubs), now I know Cisco "makes" linksys.
    > is there a BIG difference between the two. I imagine it's got to be
    > something for the price between the two of them. I know in other industries
    > (for example) the music biz, where Squire is MADE by fender, but is
    > completly different besides the looks. just wondering what the deal is, and
    > if it's worth it to go with cisco is there beter stuff than cisco without
    > getting insaine in the price dept? thanks
    >
    > -Nick

    You don't want something like a Linksys NAT router with maybe SPI
    protecting a business per say.

    You may want to look at a low end FW appliance or packet filter FW
    router that meet the specs in the link that's ICSA certified.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.htm

    Watchguard, SnapGear, Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen are FW appliances.

    Dlink DFL-700, Netgear (the ICSA certified one) and Xyzel have FW routers.

    Something you can use Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Deamon (both fere) to
    review traffic.

    You can buy low-end FW appliances used with full warantee and support.

    If you're looking at FW solutions, then know what you're looking for in
    a solution.

    http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 17, 2006

  3. Nick

    Dr Nick Guest

    > You don't want something like a Linksys NAT router with maybe SPI
    > protecting a business per say.
    >
    > You may want to look at a low end FW appliance or packet filter FW router
    > that meet the specs in the link that's ICSA certified.
    >
    > http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.htm
    >
    > Watchguard, SnapGear, Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen are FW appliances.
    >
    > Dlink DFL-700, Netgear (the ICSA certified one) and Xyzel have FW routers.
    >
    > Something you can use Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Deamon (both fere) to
    > review traffic.
    >
    > You can buy low-end FW appliances used with full warantee and support.
    >
    > If you're looking at FW solutions, then know what you're looking for in a
    > solution.
    >
    > http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
    >
    > Duane :)

    thanks for the help, just before reading this post I talked to my brother
    who told me that at his work they have sonicwall FW setup, I looked into the
    routers and the smaller ones (4 port) seem pretty decent. I've also heard
    good things about 3com (don't believe it's a firewall) the BIGGEST factor is
    that my customer NEEDS a VPN. (3com mkaes one for about 130 or so) to get a
    VPN from say sonic wall it would be about 300 bucks. what should I
    recommened? and what exactly maks 1 different fomr another (packet
    inspection? filtering? anti virus/ anti spyware at the gateway?) what else?
    thanks a lot!

    -Nick

    Dr Nick, May 17, 2006
  4. Nick

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:
    >>You don't want something like a Linksys NAT router with maybe SPI
    >>protecting a business per say.
    >>
    >>You may want to look at a low end FW appliance or packet filter FW router
    >>that meet the specs in the link that's ICSA certified.
    >>
    >>http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.htm
    >>
    >>Watchguard, SnapGear, Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen are FW appliances.
    >>
    >>Dlink DFL-700, Netgear (the ICSA certified one) and Xyzel have FW routers.
    >>
    >>Something you can use Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Deamon (both fere) to
    >>review traffic.
    >>
    >>You can buy low-end FW appliances used with full warantee and support.
    >>
    >>If you're looking at FW solutions, then know what you're looking for in a
    >>solution.
    >>
    >>http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
    >>
    >>Duane :)

    > thanks for the help, just before reading this post I talked to my brother
    > who told me that at his work they have sonicwall FW setup, I looked into the
    > routers and the smaller ones (4 port) seem pretty decent. I've also heard
    > good things about 3com (don't believe it's a firewall) the BIGGEST factor is
    > that my customer NEEDS a VPN. (3com mkaes one for about 130 or so) to get a
    > VPN from say sonic wall it would be about 300 bucks. what should I
    > recommened? and what exactly maks 1 different fomr another (packet
    > inspection? filtering? anti virus/ anti spyware at the gateway?) what else?
    > thanks a lot!
    >
    > -Nick

    There are 3 types of VPN solutions.

    1) Hardware to hardware -- VPN router to VPN router or VPN router to VPN
    FW appliance

    2) Software to software -- VPN client software to VPN server software
    like AT&T's Extranet

    3) Dedicated VPN client software to FW appliance with VPN server

    As for the differences between solutions as a FW, I suggest you read the
    information in the link before you proceed and understand the
    differences, strengths, weakness etc, etc and not be concerned about the
    fluff like AV or whatever.

    http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

    Again, is the solution you are trying to provide meeting the specs in
    the link for what does an Internet/network FW do?

    It should not meet some of the specs like it doesn't provide outbound
    filtering rules or it can't stop inbound or outbound traffic by port,
    protocol or IP. It doesn't have a syslog etc, etc.

    The solution should meet all of the specs in the link.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.htm

    Can the solution stop traffic on a time basis? Does it have content
    filtering are some of the things you may want to look at in a solution.

    There are used solutions like WG, Cisco, Snapgear do provide used FW
    appliances with full warrantee and support for 90 days, which you
    should call the manufacture and get a list of vendors that provide the
    refurbished solutions, which is cheaper than brand new.

    Whatever you do, don't get it off of ebay and don't provide them with
    something that's meant for the home.

    I also suggest you seek out a FW NG.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 17, 2006