    256k/sec to be able to keep the VPN up? Will the VPN drop if you have
    less then that? We have a client who is saying that they require 256 or
    more to keep their VPN up.

    Matt, May 11, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Matt <> wrote:
    >With a Cisco VPN on a Cisco 3015 is there any requirement for like
    >256k/sec to be able to keep the VPN up? Will the VPN drop if you have
    >less then that? We have a client who is saying that they require 256 or
    >more to keep their VPN up.

    The VPN should stay up until it has been idle for about twice the
    configured SA lifetime. [More correctly: when the SA lifetime expires,
    a new session key will be negotiated a few seconds before the
    expiry of the old one, provided that there was any real traffic at all
    during the previous period. Thus, the connection will be extended
    until it has been idle during one complete SA rekey cycle.]

    I haven't used any of the VPN concentrators, but I can say that
    it isn't uncommon for some of our SAs between PIXes to be idle for
    days at a time. We don't even average 256 Kbit/second for our
    entire site overnight.

    I would say that any problem along the lines your client is seeing
    arise from other causes entirely. How are they connected to the
    net? Perhaps they are using a 'dialer' interface that is incorrectly
    set in determining when the interface is 'idle'. (But even that shouldn't
    disrupt the SA in itself.)

    --
    Warning: potentially contains traces of nuts.

    Walter Roberson, May 11, 2004