    Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating systems, I
    am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
    different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

    Ken, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Ken

    Jason Kau Guest

    In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Ken <> wrote:
    > I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop using
    > Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up and
    > broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open the
    > VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
    > password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM software. I
    > can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access email.
    > appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through a
    > Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating systems, I
    > am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
    > different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

    Could this be the issue?

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/rel401/401_clnt.htm#84295

    WINS Support
    On Windows 95 and Windows 98, dynamic WINS support works with DHCP-enabled
    adapters (for example, PPP or NIC adapters that get their IP information
    dynamically). For static configurations, users must manually configure the
    adapters with WINS information.

    --
    Jason Kau
    http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

    Jason Kau, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Ken

    Pan Panayi Guest

    "Jason Kau" <> wrote in message
    > In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Ken <> wrote:
    > > I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop using
    > > Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up

    and
    > > broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open

    the
    > > VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
    > > password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM

    software. I
    > > can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access email.
    > > appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through a
    > > Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating

    systems, I
    > > am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there something
    > > different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

    > Could this be the issue?

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/rel401/401_clnt.h
    tm#84295

    > WINS Support
    > On Windows 95 and Windows 98, dynamic WINS support works with DHCP-enabled
    > adapters (for example, PPP or NIC adapters that get their IP information
    > dynamically). For static configurations, users must manually configure the
    > adapters with WINS information.
    >
    > --
    > Jason Kau
    > http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

    I have two laptops at work with Win98SE that refuse to connect to PIX515E
    via a dialup.
    The VPN works because I use it with a Win2000Pro laptop, XP Home & Pro
    laptops,
    iBook that connect with a dialup and my Win98SE at home via an ADSL
    connection.
    It would seem that only Win98SE laptops refuse to connect. And I do not use
    WINS on
    any of the work networks.
    I sure would love to find the solution to this. One of the laptops that
    doesn't work belongs
    to one the directors!

    Pan Panayi, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Pan Panayi" <> wrote in message

    > "Jason Kau" <> wrote in message
    > > In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Ken <> wrote:
    > > > I am trying to connect to our network via any Windows 98 PC/laptop

    using
    > > > Cisco VPN client v 4.0.2 (A). I have tried connecting via many dial up

    > and
    > > > broadbad connections We are able to connect with ME/2K/XP. When I open

    > the
    > > > VPN client and press connect, I am prompted for my domain username &
    > > > password. A connection is made which I can see via the Cisco PDM

    > software. I
    > > > can ping any IP address, but I can't map network drives or access

    email.
    > > > appears like a domain authentication issue. We are connecting through

    > > > Cisco PIX 506E. Because I am able to connect with other operating

    > systems, I
    > > > am leaning towards a specific issue with Windows 98. Is there

    something
    > > > different I need to be doing with that OS? Thanks.

    > > Could this be the issue?

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/rel401/401_clnt.h
    > tm#84295
    > >
    > > WINS Support
    > > On Windows 95 and Windows 98, dynamic WINS support works with

    DHCP-enabled
    > > adapters (for example, PPP or NIC adapters that get their IP information
    > > dynamically). For static configurations, users must manually configure

    the
    > > adapters with WINS information.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jason Kau
    > > http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau

    > I have two laptops at work with Win98SE that refuse to connect to PIX515E
    > via a dialup.
    > The VPN works because I use it with a Win2000Pro laptop, XP Home & Pro
    > laptops,
    > iBook that connect with a dialup and my Win98SE at home via an ADSL
    > connection.
    > It would seem that only Win98SE laptops refuse to connect. And I do not

    use
    > WINS on
    > any of the work networks.
    > I sure would love to find the solution to this. One of the laptops that
    > doesn't work belongs
    > to one the directors!

    We do use WINS and this is already statically defined. That, I believe, is
    not the issue. I have already tried from an employees home PC running Win 98
    with no success. I hope to resolve this someday. Any other suggestions?

    Ken, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Ken

    LW Guest

    In my experience, if using Win98, you must input the domain name correctly
    to get the VPN connection. If using w2k or win me, you needn't input the
    domain name.

    L.w.

    "Ken" <> ¦b¶l¥ó news: ¤¤¼¶
    ¼g...

    LW, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Ken

    Pan Panayi Guest

    "LW" <> wrote in message
    > In my experience, if using Win98, you must input the domain name correctly
    > to get the VPN connection. If using w2k or win me, you needn't input the
    > domain name.
    >
    > L.w.

    I don't use domain names. I use the IP of the PIX 515E (static IP). I don't
    have a
    FQDN for the PIX, just an IP. So if I registered a FQDN Win98 will work?
    If that is the case why does my Win98 box at home work with just the IP?

    From the VPN Client logs I can see it sending negotiation packets out
    through
    the dial up, but on the PIX 515E I don't see anything coming to it.

    Pan Panayi, Jan 10, 2004