    Thanks,
    AL

    , Mar 29, 2009

  2. bod43 Guest

    On 29 Mar, 17:04, "" <> wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I am researching VPN options for my company that would allow us to
    > connect our branch office with another branch. From what I saw VPN can
    > be configured on Cisco Routers and Cisco PIX and ASA firewalls (this
    > does not seem to be possible on any switch platform - right?)

    Yes. Well, except of course you can plug firewalls into
    the 6500 (7600?) maybe others.

    > What are the advantages of configuring the VPN on a firewall vs a router
    > then (or the other way around)? Would I gain anything by doing it on a
    > firewall rather than router (or vice versa)? What is the recommended
    > approach?

    If you want a full featured firewall you should consider the Pix,
    If not router is OK. I don't really know much about pix really.

    > Can the VPN be configured on a firewall if the other site terminates it
    > on a router? Does it make any difference?

    They interoperate. IPSEC is a Standard and interoperation,
    even between manufacturers, is very good.

    In all cases check the encryption throughput of the
    platform under consideration. Additional crypto offload
    modules are available for the routers which increase the
    performance considerably. AIM-VPN modules.
    Even as standard most routers have significant
    crypto performance without the extra module.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...003800routers_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

    bod43, Mar 29, 2009

  3. Guest

    bod43 wrote:
    > In all cases check the encryption throughput of the
    > platform under consideration. Additional crypto offload
    > modules are available for the routers which increase the
    > performance considerably. AIM-VPN modules.
    > Even as standard most routers have significant
    > crypto performance without the extra module.
    >

    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...003800routers_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

    Thanks bod43. This is helpful.

    , Mar 30, 2009
  4. bod43 Guest

    On 30 Mar, 00:57, "" <> wrote:
    > bod43 wrote:
    > > In all cases check the encryption throughput of the
    > > platform under consideration. Additional crypto offload
    > > modules are available for the routers which increase the
    > > performance considerably. AIM-VPN modules.
    > > Even as standard most routers have significant
    > > crypto performance without the extra module.

    Re:- "most routers" - most is not quite correct.
    All of the current routers 850/70, 1800, 2800, 3800 (and
    presumably 880/60) include crypto offload modules with
    significant crypto performance.

    For some reason cisco often make (or allow that) hard
    performance numbers quite tough to find using the
    search tools. They are in there - keep searching:-(

    bod43, Apr 1, 2009