Cisco VPN Client v 4.6 and Cisco Aironet Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by cdonyi, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. cdonyi

    cdonyi Guest

    Hi,

    I am using a custom combination bundled install of the Cisco VPN Client
    v4.6 and Cisco Aironet Wireless adapter. If an ethernet LAN pcmcia
    card is installed in the laptop PCMCIA slot during the install, the
    wireless card install waits until a card is inserted before proceeding
    (as expected). In general if the vpn client install completes before
    the Aironet wireless install trying a subsequent vpn connection over
    wireless fails. However, If the vpn client is installed AFTER the
    wireless LAN adapter, everything seems to work just fine (vpn over
    wireless). I want to ensure the VPN client will always work regardless
    of when the wireless adapter software is installed. Anybody with any
    ideas to this behaviour? I notice during failure of vpn over wireless,
    the log file complains about a problem starting the firewall.
    Disabling the firewall did not alter this behaviour.

    -Donald

    cdonyi, Feb 9, 2005

  2. "cdonyi" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,

    Hiya

    > I am using a custom combination bundled install of the Cisco VPN Client
    > v4.6 and Cisco Aironet Wireless adapter. If an ethernet LAN pcmcia
    > card is installed in the laptop PCMCIA slot during the install,

    Are you installing/inserting other NIC while installing software ?
    I would not reccommend doing so.

    > the
    > wireless card install waits until a card is inserted before proceeding
    > (as expected). In general if the vpn client install completes before
    > the Aironet wireless install trying a subsequent vpn connection over
    > wireless fails. However, If the vpn client is installed AFTER the
    > wireless LAN adapter, everything seems to work just fine (vpn over
    > wireless). I want to ensure the VPN client will always work regardless
    > of when the wireless adapter software is installed. Anybody with any
    > ideas to this behaviour?

    The Wireless software should install first and then the VPN.
    As both make dramastic changes to the IP stack.
    A reboot is also required before everything works.

    > I notice during failure of vpn over wireless,
    > the log file complains about a problem starting the firewall.
    > Disabling the firewall did not alter this behaviour.
    >
    > -Donald

    HTH
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Feb 9, 2005