Cisco VPN client software and Windows 2000 Server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AndyCapp77, May 18, 2006.

  1. AndyCapp77

    AndyCapp77 Guest

    I have recently installed the Cisco VPN Client software (version
    4.8.01.0300) to enable me to connect to a company VPN. My desktop
    machine is running Win2K Server as a domain controller, connecting
    directly to a D-Link Wireless router via an ethernet cable.
    I have configured the Cisco client software exactly as specified by the
    company setting up the VPN. When I connect to the VPN, I stay connected
    for approximately 30 - 60 seconds before the connection is terminated
    with a "Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
    Reason 412: The remote peer is no longer responding"

    I have found also that if I start a remote desktop session to a machine
    in behind the VPN connection, the connection is terminated even earlier
    than the 30-60 secs.

    Now, here is the really strange part, I have also installed the Cisco
    VPN Client software on my aptop running Win XP SP2 connection to the
    same router but via the wireless link and this connections connects
    successfully and remains connected as long as I wish.

    I am absolutely baffled and seem to have the network company
    administering the VPN baffled too, so would really appreciate any help
    on this issue.
    Thanks in advance

    AndyCapp77, May 18, 2006

  2. AndyCapp77

    Rob Guest

    First of all, have you checked the cabling from server to router? So many
    times
    i've seen incorrect termination or an untapped line. If you have a cat5
    continuity
    tester, start there.
    http://www.jimhayes.com/uncleted/term.html

    Is this a production server you're running the client on? Do you have issues
    with packets dropping to/from your server? Any problems with slowness?

    If you're trying to link to a company domain via another domain controller,
    this isn't usually a wise move. Is there a reason you're trying to connect
    from
    a DC?

    Rob, May 19, 2006