    besides Remote Desktop??

    TIA

    Matt Atkins

    Matt, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Matt

    Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > I use a Cisco VPN client on a laptop to connect to a client's network.
    > I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into the laptop from another
    > PC in my office. I can remote into the laptop fine until I connect to
    > the remote network with the Cisco VPN client. Is there a setting in
    > the Cisco's VPN client software to allow remote sessions while
    > connected? If not, is there some other remote software I can use
    > besides Remote Desktop??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Matt Atkins

    Matt,
    Let me repeat so I understand...You can connect fine to this remote
    machine until you establish a VPN connection with the remote office?

    When you connect without being connected with the client VPN software
    are you connecting to a public or private IP address?

    What about when you are connected via VPN? Do you try to remote to a
    public or private IP address?

    It sounds like you are trying to remote to a public address (probably
    of the firewall) after connecting with VPN. The PIX gets confused about
    this. Let me know.

    , Aug 23, 2006

  3. Matt

    Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > I use a Cisco VPN client on a laptop to connect to a client's network.
    > I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into the laptop from another
    > PC in my office. I can remote into the laptop fine until I connect to
    > the remote network with the Cisco VPN client. Is there a setting in
    > the Cisco's VPN client software to allow remote sessions while
    > connected? If not, is there some other remote software I can use
    > besides Remote Desktop??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Matt Atkins

    I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
    client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
    site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
    VPN.

    , Aug 23, 2006
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    wrote:

    > I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
    > client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
    > site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
    > VPN.

    I don't have access to the PIX at the client site.

    Matt, Aug 23, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    Matt <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
    >> client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
    >> site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
    >> VPN.

    >I don't have access to the PIX at the client site.

    In that case, you ask the client if they would kindly enable split
    tunneling for you.

    If the answer is YES, then your problem is solved, probably without
    any change on your end (you might have to enable split tunnel in
    the client.)

    If, though, the answer is NO, then you cannot do what you want
    to do -- and in such a case you should not look for ways around the
    problem, as you would be violating your client's chosen security
    policy if you did manage to find a way. When split-tunneling is
    enabled and you are connected to your client, then your client's
    network is vulnerable to whomever has taken over -your- computer
    and is using it as a "trojan horse" to attack your client.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Matt

    Guest

    Mr. Roberson is correct. Split-tunneling does create a 'security
    concern' of sorts as you are allowing more traffic to zip around. If
    you are in an environment where this would be a legitimate security
    concern we probably wouldn't be having this conversation though. Don't
    play Micky Mouse games and bandaid...

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Matt <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
    > >> client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
    > >> site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
    > >> VPN.

    > >I don't have access to the PIX at the client site.

    > In that case, you ask the client if they would kindly enable split
    > tunneling for you.
    >
    > If the answer is YES, then your problem is solved, probably without
    > any change on your end (you might have to enable split tunnel in
    > the client.)
    >
    > If, though, the answer is NO, then you cannot do what you want
    > to do -- and in such a case you should not look for ways around the
    > problem, as you would be violating your client's chosen security
    > policy if you did manage to find a way. When split-tunneling is
    > enabled and you are connected to your client, then your client's
    > network is vulnerable to whomever has taken over -your- computer
    > and is using it as a "trojan horse" to attack your client.

    , Aug 24, 2006