cisco vpn and XP wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mark Klebanoff, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. I'm having all kinds of problems getting the 4.8 release of the Cisco
    vpn client to work over wireless. I have a Dell Insprion 5150 with
    the
    internal 1300 wireless card. I ran the originally installed XP Home.

    VPN used to work just fine over a wireless connection (WRT54G, long
    WEP
    Key, use MAC address filter to allow only the laptop's wireless card
    get in).

    I did have the previously described problem with the Zonealarm Client
    that seemed to be fixed when I upgraded from the 4.6 to the 4.8 VPN.
    When Zonealarm released their updated client last week, I had a
    problem
    getting it to install. Apparently that's been described, and I found
    the problem (involved deleting some files marked hidden in the
    system32
    directory that should not have been marked hidden), and then the new
    zonealarm client installed. I think I can trace my problems to that.

    The problem is that when I'm hooked to the internet wirelessly and
    start
    up the VPN client, the client starts normally, I seem to get assigned
    an
    IP address on the VPN client, but I have no connectivity. I can't
    ping
    an name nor an ip address. I can't access any web pages, either on my

    employer's network, nor the general internet. Once I disconnect the
    vpn
    client, my regular internet connectivity returns. I've tried
    disabling
    zonealarm, but that doesn't help. I even uninstalled zonealarm and
    then
    re-installed the vpn client, to no avail.

    I got really frustrated, and bought a new hard disk and installed a
    copy
    of XP pro from scratch. The same problem exists. To make things even
    more complicated, I can connect via my wired connection and the VPN
    client works fine, even with Zonealarm enabled. So I think the basic
    configuration is correct. I've been careful to invoke the same tcpip
    settings on the wired and wireless adapter settings. OUr VPN has us
    insert the ip addresses of the wins server, and check "enable netbios
    over tcpip' on the advanced settings.

    I even went into the wireless router's config settings and entered the

    MAC for the VPN adapter (yes, it has a "mac address" when I do
    ipconfig/all.

    Finally, when I use the trace route command to see where I'm getting
    blocked, it doesn't even get to the first step.

    Anyway, this is getting very frustrating. Does anyone have
    suggestions.
    This is a classic case of if it ain't broke (or at least if I could
    fix it by disabling zonealarm, which is hot it worked before the
    updgraded firewall and vpn clients) then don't fix it.

    Mark Klebanoff, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Mark Klebanoff

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Why does someone have to write War and Peace?

    The post is to long.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 11, 2006