Cisco VPN 3005 - Active Directory Authentication

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Paul Mclean, Oct 30, 2004.

  1. Paul Mclean

    Paul Mclean Guest

    I'm pretty new to these appliance boxes so I have a what will probably
    be a stupid question :)

    At the moment we allow users to access some shared drives on a Windows
    200 server, and the ability to Lanuch Outlook Web Access Client.

    We have another bunch of users who use the Symantec VPN client to get
    access via the firewall giving them a VPN tunnel to replicate Mail and
    map some drives ona Windows 2000 server.

    Ideally I'd like to just use the VPN 3005's and get rid of the SEF
    client. So my question is can we authenticate users using their Active
    Directory accounts to establish a VPN session using withe IPsec or
    PPTP?

    Thanks for your help

    Regards

    Paul Mclean

    Paul Mclean, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Paul Mclean

    Scott Lowe Guest

    On 2004-10-30 15:44:32 -0400, (Paul Mclean) said:

    > Ideally I'd like to just use the VPN 3005's and get rid of the SEF
    > client. So my question is can we authenticate users using their Active
    > Directory accounts to establish a VPN session using withe IPsec or
    > PPTP?

    I've never done it directly against Active Directory, but I have used
    IAS (Internet Authentication Service) to create a RADIUS interface to
    AD, then authenticated the VPN clients via RADIUS to AD. If I recall
    correctly, I was able to make this work with both PPTP and L2TP/IPSec.

    Check out this document:

    <http://www.mercurionsystems.com/downloads/td-vpn3kintegrate.pdf>

    It was written a couple of years ago, so it's a bit out of date. I
    hope it proves helpful to you nonetheless.

    HTH.

    --
    Scott Lowe

    Scott Lowe, Nov 29, 2004