    if anyone has experience with Juniper routers, and why one would pick
    Juniper versus Cisco?

    --

    Jon Johnson, Feb 5, 2005

  2. In article <Hf8Nd.868$>,
    Jon Johnson <> wrote:
    :I have some aging Cisco routers, and a very complex network. I'm wondering
    :if anyone has experience with Juniper routers, and why one would pick
    :Juniper versus Cisco?

    I have no experience in that market, and cannot offer any
    anecdotes. Here, though, are a couple of articles that might
    be of interest to you:

    Core routers:

    http://telephonyonline.com/mag/telecom_junipers_ciscos_products/

    Competitive analysis

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/31759.html [some good points]
    http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2004/commentary040609bm.htm
    http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2000/0612infra.html

    Firewalls:

    http://www.exr.com/exr/snapmain.nsf/0/c29610c2bca3d5e185256a6f002562ab?OpenDocument

    MPLS:

    http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=22417
    http://www.geant.net/upload/pdf/GEA-04-070v7.pdf
    [a practical study; discusses Layer 2 VPN signalling]
    --
    "The human genome is powerless in the face of chocolate."
    -- Dr. Adam Drewnowski

    Walter Roberson, Feb 5, 2005

  3. On 2005-02-05 19:28, Jon Johnson wrote:
    > I have some aging Cisco routers, and a very complex network. I'm wondering
    > if anyone has experience with Juniper routers, and why one would pick
    > Juniper versus Cisco?

    depends on what you want to do - i'd summarize my favourite general
    approach (based on reliability, performance, usability) as:

    core/edge: juniper
    access: cisco

    just my 2c,
    -jr

    Johannes Resch, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Jon Johnson

    BradReeseCom Guest

    Hi Jon,

    You may wish to view the Miercom Cisco vs. Juniper Core Router
    Head-to-Head Comparison:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-juniper-core-router-comparison.htm

    as well as the Miercom Cisco vs. Juniper Edge Router Head-to-Head
    Comparison:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-juniper-edge-router-comparison.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide
    United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
    U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

    BradReeseCom, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Jon Johnson

    Ben Guest

    Johannes Resch wrote:
    > On 2005-02-05 19:28, Jon Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> I have some aging Cisco routers, and a very complex network. I'm
    >> wondering
    >> if anyone has experience with Juniper routers, and why one would pick
    >> Juniper versus Cisco?

    > depends on what you want to do - i'd summarize my favourite general
    > approach (based on reliability, performance, usability) as:
    >
    > core/edge: juniper
    > access: cisco
    >

    > just my 2c,
    > -jr

    Hi,

    For my 2c, the above makes a lot of sense. Cisco is very feature-rich,
    in fact nothing I know of on the market really compares to all that IOS
    can do.

    But Juniper offers a rock-solid implementation with less bells and
    whistles and more modern software architecture.

    Since you normally need more features at the edge and more reliability
    in the core, it follows...

    -Ben

    Ben, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Jon Johnson

    BradReeseCom Guest

    Hi Ben,

    Dell'Oro Group had your "2c" in mind when they reported on January
    26th:

    The growth in Service Provider investment in routers is expected to
    outpace the growth in spending by enterprises for each of the next five
    years.

    Service Providers are expected to spend more on routers at the core,
    instead of the edge, of their networks.

    "The growth of the broadband subscriber base is placing tremendous
    traffic demands on Service Provider core networks, and, as a result, we
    anticipate that Service Providers will deploy more next generation
    routers that can handle this increased capacity," said Shin Umeda,
    Principal Analyst of Routers Research at Dell'Oro Group.

    "The next generation routers, such as the Avici TSR:

    http://www.avici.com/products/tsr.shtml

    Cisco CRS-1:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5763/index.html

    and Juniper T640:

    http://www.juniper.net/products/tseries/

    will provide Service Providers the flexibility to expand their networks
    more efficiently, while at the same time improving reliability," added
    Umeda.

    http://www.delloro.com/news/2005/Rtr012605.shtml

    Brad Reese

    BradReeseCom, Feb 7, 2005