    Help ;-) I just wanna get up that token ring stuff with the cisco's.

    Thank you very very much ;-)
    Mike

    Mike Hanson, May 30, 2004

  2. Mike Hanson

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <40b964d3$>, says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > i got my hands on some of these 2504 and 2523 series router. Now im kinda lost
    > within the price list of cisco.
    >
    > Here are my questions:
    > 1. what is the part number for a cisco db-9 to rj-45 cable (to mau) ?
    > 1b. i saw some db-9 to rj-45 adapter. what is the part number of that device ?
    > 2. can i use a straight-through rj-45 cable for the device to mau cabling ?
    > Help ;-) I just wanna get up that token ring stuff with the cisco's.
    > Thank you very very much ;-)

    You can use a straight through cable. But keep in mind that you need a
    MAU (active or passive) for this to work. You can't put to TR stations
    back to back.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 30, 2004

  3. Mike Hanson

    Mike Hanson Guest

    Hi,

    but i need to have an adapter for the Cisco DB-9 (female) port to rj-45.
    whats the exact part number of that adapter ? or better... the pinout...

    tia,
    mike

    Mike Hanson, May 31, 2004
  4. Mike Hanson

    Marc Russell Guest

    You need a token-ring media filter. One is available on Ebay below. If that
    doesn't work call me as I'm sure I have some lying around the warehouse
    somewhere.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11175&item=5701804321&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    Marc Russell
    Network Learning, Inc.
    Michigan
    Ph# 248-620-9603
    Toll Free# 888-654-2243 or 888-NLI-CCIE
    Fax# 702-446-0357
    Cell# 248-229-8114
    www.ccbootcamp.com (Cisco Training)
    www.routerie.com (Cisco R&S CCIE Discussion group)
    www.securityie.com (Cisco Security CCIE Discussion group)
    www.voiceie.com (Cisco Voice Discussion group)
    www.optsys.net (Cisco hardware)

    Marc Russell, May 31, 2004
  5. Mike Hanson

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, (Mike Hanson) writes:

    | but i need to have an adapter for the Cisco DB-9 (female) port to rj-45.

    The "DB9" (it really isn't DB :) isn't Cisco-specific. It is the typical
    token ring attachment connector for host ends. Any token ring RJ45 "media
    filter" should work for you. You might want to check eBay. For example:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11175&item=5701804321

    | whats the exact part number of that adapter ?

    I don't have a Cisco part number, but I could look at the numbers on some
    non-Cisco units. Chances are you won't find the exact one(s) I have, so it
    probably wouldn't be too helpful.

    |or better... the pinout...

    There are filter components in the adapter, so you need more than a pinout.
    (Yes, it will work without the filter, but...)

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, May 31, 2004
  6. Mike Hanson

    AnyBody43 Guest

    First a little suggestion:-

    Clearly I do not know your circumstances, however, unless you are
    a historian I would suggest that this is not worth bothering about
    now.

    In case you do wish to pursue it, note that the media filter,
    referred to in earlier posts, contains more than wires.

    I believe that is is an impedance matcher/converter between
    150 ohm STP cable as suggested by IBM and 100 ohm UTP cable
    as used by the rest of the planet.

    I would guess that it contains capacitors and/or inductors.

    PS
    One of the last developments in TR was so called switched token
    ring which had neither tokens nor rings. I think that speaks
    volumes about the whole concept:)

    Switched TR - Tokenless Ringless Wire (C).

    AnyBody43, Jun 1, 2004