Cisco T1 timing question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Bodag, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Bodag

    Bodag Guest

    I am trying to eastablish a T1 link between two building about 4 miles
    apart. (No, installing fiber is not an option and there is no
    line-of-sight.) My company is in a small town that seems to have only
    recently removed tin can and strings from its phone system.

    This should be simple. Except of the DAC at the CO it, is essentially
    a direct link. We are using two Cisco 2651's with internal CSU/DSU's.
    We defaulted the config - Extended Super Frame, B8ZS, no FDL. We tried
    to supply clocking as directed by the telco. However, the two sites
    would NOT communicate when I configured one router to supply clocking.
    Only when we removed the clocking would the connection work. The link
    will stay up for 3 to 4 weeks at a time, but will then go through a
    period of frame losses that last from 3 to 4 hours. The phone compnay
    says it is my problem and that I need to supply clocking. However, the
    link only works when I do NOT supply clocking.

    Any suggestions or ideas how to proceed.

    BTW: ALL of my equipment (the routers and CSU/DSU cards) have been
    swapped out to eliminate bad equipment at my locations.

    Thanks, Jim
    Bodag, Apr 3, 2004

  2. Bodag

    MC Guest

    If going through a DAC then most likely OCU's at the CO also. Since a DAC is
    involved I am guessing that the T1 is channelized then the CO may be
    providing clock to each end. If a non chanallized full T1 with out any
    additional muxing usually means must provide clock on one of your ends. Also
    unless they are using HDSL then most likely would require repeating the T1
    signal every mile down the line between your site and the CO.

    MC, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Bodag

    Bodag Guest

    Problem solved.

    After multiple problem tickets, complaints, and a threat to drop the
    the line, we got some action. We showed the Telco our logs that showed
    the clocking conflict errors and had one of their techs sit down with
    us and showed him that the line only worked when we turned OFF
    clocking. About a week later we got a call from the tech and he ask us
    to again turn on clocking. Not suprisingly it worked fine. Asked what
    had been changed we were told nothing and the problem must have been
    in our equipment.... Of course we had changed nothing in our config.

    Such is life in small towns with little networking.

    Bodag, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Bodag

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Problem solved.
    >
    > After multiple problem tickets, complaints, and a threat to drop the
    > the line, we got some action. We showed the Telco our logs that showed
    > the clocking conflict errors and had one of their techs sit down with
    > us and showed him that the line only worked when we turned OFF
    > clocking. About a week later we got a call from the tech and he ask us
    > to again turn on clocking. Not suprisingly it worked fine. Asked what
    > had been changed we were told nothing and the problem must have been
    > in our equipment.... Of course we had changed nothing in our config.
    >
    > Such is life in small towns with little networking.

    You'll find that this is par for the course no matter where you are.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Apr 12, 2004