    If so, could you compare the +/- from switching from one vendor to
    another.

    Thanks

    Greg, Mar 16, 2009

  2. Greg <> writes:
    >We're looking at replacing our Cisco edge switches at our company.
    >Currently we're looking at Cisco or HP switches right now as the
    >replacements.

    >We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
    >to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
    >yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.

    >With the way the economy is going it is hard to tell the number
    >crunchers to go with Cisco when HP is looking like such a deal.

    >Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
    >Cisco?

    I use them both. Cisco has way more features than HP, so if you use
    more of the advanced features, you'll probably find HP lacking a bit
    more of the adanced features, and being more of just the basics of what a
    managed switch should be.

    But, if the feature set matches with what you are using them for, ProCurves
    have been pretty dependable.

    I guess I don't factor maintenance in, as I stock my own spares, and
    don't need to upgrade much, so most of my stuff isn't on Smartnet.
    Most of the Catalyst line is on a limited lifetime waranty though as well?

    I haven't seen 50%, but yes the HPs are a bit cheaper. Ie. looking at
    like the L3 managed switchs from cisco vs. the HPs. the ProCurve 2848
    is $3200 at CDW vs. Cisco WS-C3560G-48TS-S at $5500. I guess thats about 40%.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 16, 2009

  3. Greg

    alexd Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:

    > Greg <> writes:

    >>We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
    >>to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
    >>yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.

    It's not just any old warranty either, it includes [IME] advanced hardware
    replacement.

    >>Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
    >>Cisco?

    > I use them both. Cisco has way more features than HP,

    I suggest the OP takes a thorough look at his network setup to absolutely
    sure that all the features he relies on are present in the equivalent HP
    model, eg he may need to add on a Procurve Premium license for OSPF.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:25:42 up 102 days, 21:37, 3 users, load average: 0.64, 0.31, 0.16

    alexd, Mar 17, 2009
  4. Greg

    Guest

    Greg schrieb:
    > We're looking at replacing our Cisco edge switches at our company.
    > Currently we're looking at Cisco or HP switches right now as the
    > replacements.
    >
    > We're currently a Cisco shop but what HP is offering us it is hard not
    > to look at what they have. HP is avearging to be 50% cheaper, no
    > yearly maintanace fee and lifetime warranty on the product.
    >
    > With the way the economy is going it is hard to tell the number
    > crunchers to go with Cisco when HP is looking like such a deal.
    >
    > Has anybody went from Cisco switches to HP or that went from HP to
    > Cisco?

    Greg

    think twice, and compare the features. ProCurve have a CLI similar to
    Cisco, but they take a different approach.

    One stunning example is trunks:

    In IOS you create a trunk, and once it's up and running you can add or
    remove interfaces to and from the trunk by configuring the interface as
    port channel member.

    In ProCurve, you have to delete and recreate the trunk, but then you
    have to configure all vlans back to the trunk (vlan , tagged trkxx).
    Worst case scenario here is you need to get into the switch via that
    trunk. In this case you literally chop off the branch you sit on.

    Many of the show ** commands do not have a corresponding equivalent in
    ProCurve.

    Worst case scenario is a mixed environment. You can never be sure what
    is possible where, and always bear in mind the different approach each
    vendor takes.

    In short: If you have more than one site, go for Cisco. A single site
    can afford to run ProCurve, but NEVER plan to run a heterogeneous
    environment.

    Just my 4 cents

    Albert

    , Mar 23, 2009
  5. Thanks for the info, Albert. While I'm not the original poster, I've
    thought about integrating ProCurve into smaller areas of my environment.
    Those are indeed some glaring issues. I bought into the Juniper argument
    about how much superior to Cisco they are and such. I've been somewhat
    disappointed. I hate to be a all-you-can-eat Cisco buffet, but I've yet
    to find a product at substantial savings that doesn't introduce some
    headache that impacts production and/or doesn't end up being the benefit
    as originally hoped.

    Thanks for the tangible examples...if you have more, feel free to pass
    along!

    fugettaboutit, Mar 24, 2009
  6. Greg

    Sarcasmus

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    HP vs Cisco

    for hp vs cisco take a look here on how HP is very great on doing virtualization less and cost effective.

    Sarcasmus, Jul 1, 2013