cisco switches: plug & play?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by super, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. super

    super Guest

    In the past I've worked for small companies that use comparatively
    inexpensive Netgear and D-link switches. These were just plug and play
    equipment and they worked extremely reliably.

    The company I currently work for, our head office overseas sent their
    Cisco guy here to replace our Netgear switches with Cisco Catalyst 2950
    switches. As instructed by the expert, we have configured Windows XP to
    fix the link speed and duplex mode because "the first thing Cisco Tech
    Support will ask you is whether you have done that or not" - thats what we
    were told anyway.

    If a $60 Netgear/Dlink switch can automatically determine the link speed
    and duplex, why cant the expensive Cisco do it? So now certain ports on
    the switches have been fixed at 10Mbps and others at 100Mbps.

    Ever since the switches were replaced with 2 x Catalyst 2950 we have had
    many network problems - pings dropping out, XP reporting link speed of
    10Mb in one area and 100 in another area, LED lights on the switches
    reporting a connection momentarily and then dropping off completely, DHCP
    not working correctly, some ports don't work at all, others work most of
    the time - which isn't good enough. We've had to put our tape backup media
    server back onto the Netgear switch, otherwise there would be a network
    communication failure during the night in the middle of a brick-level mail
    server or file server backup.

    We have taken for granted the ability to plug and unplug network cables at
    anytime - now thats not reliable because the Catalyst 2950 cant
    auto-fucken-negotiate.

    What are we suppose to do? Throw in the towel and replace the Catalyst
    2950 with something that works?!?! We dont have Admin rights on the Cisco,
    nor do we have the inclination to learn the complexity of the IOS.

    Help.

    super, Aug 31, 2004

  2. super

    Majortom Guest

    Where I work we have different models of Cisco switches ranging from 1900s
    all the way up to 6513s. Cisco switches can auto-negotiate as long as they
    are configured to do so. We generally hard-code the speed and duplex for
    servers and let workstations auto-negotiate. The thing about
    auto-negotiation is that if one end is set to auto-auto and the other side
    is hard-coded, the auto-auto end will default to 10-half causing a duplex
    mismatch and collisions galore. If your 2950s were in fact hard coded too
    100-full, then the workstations must also be hard coded to 100-full. In your
    post you implied that you did that but I suspect that for some PCs it didn't
    take. Hopefully all of the ports are configured identically, if they aren't
    and you don't have access to the switch configs, it might take some trial
    and error with the workstations to figure out how they should be hard coded.

    Good luck.

    Majortom, Aug 31, 2004

  3. super

    RC Guest

    Poor installation!
    The Cisco should work fine as a plug-and-play. I've occasionally seen
    auto-negotiation issues but these are rare and usually the result of using
    cheap NICs. 3Com 3C905 series has always worked for me, not the cheap
    NetGear or even the cheaper 3Com's.

    How many nodes? How many switches? How are they inter-connected? Don't worry
    about the lack of a password, that's easy to reset. Where are you located?
    RC
    rcohen AT acstech DOT com

    RC, Aug 31, 2004
  4. super <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In the past I've worked for small companies that use comparatively
    > inexpensive Netgear and D-link switches. These were just plug and play
    > equipment and they worked extremely reliably.
    >
    > The company I currently work for, our head office overseas sent their
    > Cisco guy here to replace our Netgear switches with Cisco Catalyst 2950
    > switches. As instructed by the expert, we have configured Windows XP to
    > fix the link speed and duplex mode because "the first thing Cisco Tech
    > Support will ask you is whether you have done that or not" - thats what we
    > were told anyway.
    >
    > If a $60 Netgear/Dlink switch can automatically determine the link speed
    > and duplex, why cant the expensive Cisco do it? So now certain ports on
    > the switches have been fixed at 10Mbps and others at 100Mbps.
    >
    > Ever since the switches were replaced with 2 x Catalyst 2950 we have had
    > many network problems - pings dropping out, XP reporting link speed of
    > 10Mb in one area and 100 in another area, LED lights on the switches
    > reporting a connection momentarily and then dropping off completely, DHCP
    > not working correctly, some ports don't work at all, others work most of
    > the time - which isn't good enough. We've had to put our tape backup media
    > server back onto the Netgear switch, otherwise there would be a network
    > communication failure during the night in the middle of a brick-level mail
    > server or file server backup.
    >
    > We have taken for granted the ability to plug and unplug network cables at
    > anytime - now thats not reliable because the Catalyst 2950 cant
    > auto-fucken-negotiate.
    >
    > What are we suppose to do? Throw in the towel and replace the Catalyst
    > 2950 with something that works?!?! We dont have Admin rights on the Cisco,
    > nor do we have the inclination to learn the complexity of the IOS.
    >
    > Help.

    Oh dear - sounds like you aren't having much fun with your new Cisco
    2950's.

    We have quite a few 2950's and don't have anything like the trouble
    you are having, but then we do have admin access to them.

    I'm not sure what your Cisco techie has done with your switches and
    without being able to see the configs, it is going to be difficult to
    guess.

    However, I can assure you that the 2950s do auto-negotiate link speed
    and duplex, but the auto-negotiation process isn't bomb-proof and can
    introduce errors on the links to the end devices, which is probably
    why you were told that the Cisco guy would want to tie the link speed
    and duplex down on each port.

    Also, if you just want everything on your site to be able to talk to
    everything else on your site, then the 2950 should work without any
    further configuration. The complexity comes when you want to do
    something a bit different.

    I agree that IOS is quite complex, especially to the uninitiated, so I
    reckon your best bet is to get your head-office Cisco guy back and get
    him to sort out your problems PDQ.

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Aug 31, 2004
  5. Well. Just get Netgear switches then...

    Francois Pouliot, Aug 31, 2004
  6. super

    ec Guest

    "super" <> wrote in message

    > In the past I've worked for small companies that use comparatively
    > inexpensive Netgear and D-link switches. These were just plug and play
    > equipment and they worked extremely reliably.
    >
    > The company I currently work for, our head office overseas sent their
    > Cisco guy here to replace our Netgear switches with Cisco Catalyst 2950
    > switches. As instructed by the expert, we have configured Windows XP to
    > fix the link speed and duplex mode because "the first thing Cisco Tech
    > Support will ask you is whether you have done that or not" - thats what we
    > were told anyway.
    >
    > If a $60 Netgear/Dlink switch can automatically determine the link speed
    > and duplex, why cant the expensive Cisco do it? So now certain ports on
    > the switches have been fixed at 10Mbps and others at 100Mbps.
    >
    > Ever since the switches were replaced with 2 x Catalyst 2950 we have had
    > many network problems - pings dropping out, XP reporting link speed of
    > 10Mb in one area and 100 in another area, LED lights on the switches
    > reporting a connection momentarily and then dropping off completely, DHCP
    > not working correctly, some ports don't work at all, others work most of
    > the time - which isn't good enough. We've had to put our tape backup media
    > server back onto the Netgear switch, otherwise there would be a network
    > communication failure during the night in the middle of a brick-level mail
    > server or file server backup.
    >
    > We have taken for granted the ability to plug and unplug network cables at
    > anytime - now thats not reliable because the Catalyst 2950 cant
    > auto-fucken-negotiate.
    >
    > What are we suppose to do? Throw in the towel and replace the Catalyst
    > 2950 with something that works?!?! We dont have Admin rights on the Cisco,
    > nor do we have the inclination to learn the complexity of the IOS.
    >
    > Help.

    Cisco 2950's can be introduced into a network with absolutely zero
    configuration.. That would be quite a waste though. If you are having DHCP
    issues you might consider setting all the access ports with the command
    "spanning-tree portfast" from interface configuration mode.

    ec, Sep 1, 2004
  7. super

    PES Guest

    "ec" <> wrote in message news:vu7Zc.174941$sh.59957@fed1read06...

    > "super" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In the past I've worked for small companies that use comparatively
    >> inexpensive Netgear and D-link switches. These were just plug and play
    >> equipment and they worked extremely reliably.
    >>
    >> The company I currently work for, our head office overseas sent their
    >> Cisco guy here to replace our Netgear switches with Cisco Catalyst 2950
    >> switches. As instructed by the expert, we have configured Windows XP to
    >> fix the link speed and duplex mode because "the first thing Cisco Tech
    >> Support will ask you is whether you have done that or not" - thats what
    >> we were told anyway.
    >>
    >> If a $60 Netgear/Dlink switch can automatically determine the link speed
    >> and duplex, why cant the expensive Cisco do it? So now certain ports on
    >> the switches have been fixed at 10Mbps and others at 100Mbps.
    >>
    >> Ever since the switches were replaced with 2 x Catalyst 2950 we have had
    >> many network problems - pings dropping out, XP reporting link speed of
    >> 10Mb in one area and 100 in another area, LED lights on the switches
    >> reporting a connection momentarily and then dropping off completely, DHCP
    >> not working correctly, some ports don't work at all, others work most of
    >> the time - which isn't good enough. We've had to put our tape backup
    >> media server back onto the Netgear switch, otherwise there would be a
    >> network communication failure during the night in the middle of a
    >> brick-level mail server or file server backup.
    >>
    >> We have taken for granted the ability to plug and unplug network cables
    >> at anytime - now thats not reliable because the Catalyst 2950 cant
    >> auto-fucken-negotiate.
    >>
    >> What are we suppose to do? Throw in the towel and replace the Catalyst
    >> 2950 with something that works?!?! We dont have Admin rights on the
    >> Cisco, nor do we have the inclination to learn the complexity of the IOS.
    >>
    >> Help.

    > Cisco 2950's can be introduced into a network with absolutely zero
    > configuration.. That would be quite a waste though. If you are having DHCP
    > issues you might consider setting all the access ports with the command
    > "spanning-tree portfast" from interface configuration mode.

    or from global config
    spanning-tree portfast default

    PES, Sep 1, 2004
  8. "PES" <NO*SPAMpestewartREMOVE**SUCKS> wrote in message news:<41353f70$>...
    > "ec" <> wrote in message news:vu7Zc.174941$sh.59957@fed1read06...
    > >
    > > "super" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > > Cisco 2950's can be introduced into a network with absolutely zero
    > > configuration.. That would be quite a waste though. If you are having DHCP
    > > issues you might consider setting all the access ports with the command
    > > "spanning-tree portfast" from interface configuration mode.
    > >

    > or from global config
    > spanning-tree portfast default

    There's no point in giving him commands to try - he said he doesn't
    have admin access to the switches and he doesn't want to learn IOS
    anyway.

    He'll have to get his head-office Cisco guy back in.

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Sep 1, 2004