    Thanks in advance.

    MP

    , Mar 11, 2008

  2. Thomas75 Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    > can i configure DHCP service on my 2950 cisco switch and assign
    > different scope (with different subnet) according to the VLAN
    > configured on the same device ?
    > I mean...i don't want to relay to any other DHCP service but i'd
    > prefer to use that one provided by the 2950; at the same time, i would
    > be able to give different scope to different VLAN hosts directly
    > connected to the fastethernet interfaces of the same switch assigned
    > to different VLAn previously defined.
    >
    > Everything with a unique switch.
    >
    > Pls, provide me some configuration examples.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > MP

    hi, MP

    first of all, 2950 is layer2 device therefore, it cannot provide ip to
    hosts connected. you use router (layer 3 device) for that.

    second, you could have one fastethernet interface to make sub
    interfaces for each of your vlan and I think, u should be able to
    provide dhcp through that. i 've never tried thatway.
    something to explore, I guess.

    hope that helped.

    thomas

    Thomas75, Mar 13, 2008

  3. News Reader Guest

    MP:

    I own a 2950-24T and I can tell you it doesn't include DHCP Server
    functionality.

    I have in my hand, a copy of the Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch
    Software Configuration Guide.

    It says: "The DHCP Server feature is only available on Catalyst 2955
    switches."

    I have interVLAN routing to a C1710 (FastEthernet port), with a DHCP
    scope setup for each VLAN.

    Note, that interVLAN routing is only available on FastEthernet interfaces.

    Best regards,

    News Reader, Mar 14, 2008
  4. Thomas75 Guest

    On Mar 13, 8:46 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    > MP:
    >
    > I own a 2950-24T and I can tell you it doesn't include DHCP Server
    > functionality.
    >
    > I have in my hand, a copy of the Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch
    > Software Configuration Guide.
    >
    > It says: "The DHCP Server feature is only available on Catalyst 2955
    > switches."
    >
    > I have interVLAN routing to a C1710 (FastEthernet port), with a DHCP
    > scope setup for each VLAN.
    >
    > Note, that interVLAN routing is only available on FastEthernet interfaces.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Hello everybody,
    > > can i configure DHCP service on my 2950 cisco switch and assign
    > > different scope (with different subnet) according to the VLAN
    > > configured on the same device ?
    > > I mean...i don't want to relay to any other DHCP service but i'd
    > > prefer to use that one provided by the 2950; at the same time, i would
    > > be able to give different scope to different VLAN hosts directly
    > > connected to the fastethernet interfaces of the same switch assigned
    > > to different VLAn previously defined.

    > > Everything with a unique switch.

    > > Pls, provide me some configuration examples.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > MP- Hide quoted text -

    Hi.

    thanks for the info.

    BTW how would you configure 2955 to act as DHCP server?

    -Thomas

    Thomas75, Mar 14, 2008
  5. News Reader Guest

    Thomas75 wrote:
    > On Mar 13, 8:46 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    >> MP:
    >>
    >> I own a 2950-24T and I can tell you it doesn't include DHCP Server
    >> functionality.
    >>
    >> I have in my hand, a copy of the Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch
    >> Software Configuration Guide.
    >>
    >> It says: "The DHCP Server feature is only available on Catalyst 2955
    >> switches."
    >>
    >> I have interVLAN routing to a C1710 (FastEthernet port), with a DHCP
    >> scope setup for each VLAN.
    >>
    >> Note, that interVLAN routing is only available on FastEthernet interfaces.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>

    >> wrote:
    >>> Hello everybody,
    >>> can i configure DHCP service on my 2950 cisco switch and assign
    >>> different scope (with different subnet) according to the VLAN
    >>> configured on the same device ?
    >>> I mean...i don't want to relay to any other DHCP service but i'd
    >>> prefer to use that one provided by the 2950; at the same time, i would
    >>> be able to give different scope to different VLAN hosts directly
    >>> connected to the fastethernet interfaces of the same switch assigned
    >>> to different VLAn previously defined.
    >>> Everything with a unique switch.
    >>> Pls, provide me some configuration examples.
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>> MP- Hide quoted text -

    > Hi.
    >
    > thanks for the info.
    >
    > BTW how would you configure 2955 to act as DHCP server?
    >
    > -Thomas

    The Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch Software Configuration Guide
    suggests the following:

    For procedures to configure the switch as a DHCP server, see the
    “Configuring DHCP” section of the “IP addressing and Services” section
    of the Cisco IOS IP and IP Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.1

    These documents are easily downloadable from the Cisco web site.

    A modest amount of reading will result in answers to your question.

    Best regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 17, 2008
  6. Thomas75 Guest

    On Mar 16, 8:38 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    > Thomas75 wrote:
    > > On Mar 13, 8:46 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    > >> MP:

    > >> I own a 2950-24T and I can tell you it doesn't include DHCP Server
    > >> functionality.

    > >> I have in my hand, a copy of the Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch
    > >> Software Configuration Guide.

    > >> It says: "The DHCP Server feature is only available on Catalyst 2955
    > >> switches."

    > >> I have interVLAN routing to a C1710 (FastEthernet port), with a DHCP
    > >> scope setup for each VLAN.

    > >> Note, that interVLAN routing is only available on FastEthernet interfaces.

    > >> Best regards,

    > > Hi.

    > > thanks for the info.

    > > BTW how would you configure 2955 to act as DHCP server?

    > > -Thomas

    > The Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch Software Configuration Guide
    > suggests the following:
    >
    > For procedures to configure the switch as a DHCP server, see the
    > "Configuring DHCP" section of the "IP addressing and Services" section
    > of the Cisco IOS IP and IP Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.1
    >
    > These documents are easily downloadable from the Cisco web site.
    >
    > A modest amount of reading will result in answers to your question.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > News Reader- Hide quoted text -

    Well, I did look into Cisco website but couldn' find the link.
    that's why I asked people here!

    I checked the 2955 manual but it only mention about that feature but
    there isn't any related commands...

    Can anyone help~?
    thanks

    -Thomas

    Thomas75, Mar 17, 2008
  7. News Reader Guest

    Thomas75 wrote:
    > On Mar 16, 8:38 pm, News Reader <> wrote:
    >> Thomas75 wrote:
    >>> Hi.
    >>> thanks for the info.
    >>> BTW how would you configure 2955 to act as DHCP server?
    >>> -Thomas

    >> The Catalyst 2950 and Catalyst 2955 Switch Software Configuration Guide
    >> suggests the following:
    >>
    >> For procedures to configure the switch as a DHCP server, see the
    >> "Configuring DHCP" section of the "IP addressing and Services" section
    >> of the Cisco IOS IP and IP Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.1
    >>
    >> These documents are easily downloadable from the Cisco web site.
    >>
    >> A modest amount of reading will result in answers to your question.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> News Reader- Hide quoted text -

    > Well, I did look into Cisco website but couldn' find the link.
    > that's why I asked people here!
    >
    > I checked the 2955 manual but it only mention about that feature but
    > there isn't any related commands...
    >
    > Can anyone help~?
    > thanks
    >
    > -Thomas

    Really?

    I just went to the Cisco web site, did "one" search for "Cisco IOS IP
    and IP Routing Configuration Guide, Release 12.1", followed the "first"
    result link, and the document was there.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/iproute/configuration/guide/ip_c.html

    Expand "Part 1: IP Addressing and Services", and you will see
    "Configuring DHCP".

    Best regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 17, 2008