Cisco SOHO 91 Router showing Ethernet 0 instead of Fast Ethernet 0

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by andyr, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. andyr

    andyr Guest

    This is weird. I haven't used a Cisco product with an integrated switch, so
    maybe I'm just missing something easy, but shouldn't my internal Ethernet
    connection show as a Fast Ethernet connection?

    All the documentation I've found on this product shows that it has an
    integrated 10/100 switch. It's even lists the 4 LAN ports as 10/100 on the
    back of the unit, but when I show interface it shows the following:

    Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PQUICC Ethernet, address is 0011.20df.8b47 (bia
    0011.20df.8b47)
    Internet address is 10.10.10.1/24
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Full-duplex, 10Mb/s
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    13585 packets input, 2785949 bytes, 0 no buffer
    75103 packets output, 16335270 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

    There doesn't appear to be any speed command available for the interface
    either.
    I'm using IOS Version 12.3(2)XC2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    andyr, Mar 25, 2005

  2. "andyr" <> writes:
    >This is weird. I haven't used a Cisco product with an integrated switch, so
    >maybe I'm just missing something easy, but shouldn't my internal Ethernet
    >connection show as a Fast Ethernet connection?

    >All the documentation I've found on this product shows that it has an
    >integrated 10/100 switch. It's even lists the 4 LAN ports as 10/100 on the
    >back of the unit, but when I show interface it shows the following:

    The docs say that it has Ethernet ports, but a 4 port 10/100 switch.

    I'd read that as 10 Mbit Ethernet ports out both sides, but if you
    wanted to plug in 100Mbps devices into the switch, its not going to
    degrade them from talking to one another down to the port speed it has.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 25, 2005

  3. andyr

    andyr Guest

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > "andyr" <> writes:
    > >This is weird. I haven't used a Cisco product with an integrated

    switch, so
    > >maybe I'm just missing something easy, but shouldn't my internal

    Ethernet
    > >connection show as a Fast Ethernet connection?

    > >All the documentation I've found on this product shows that it has

    an
    > >integrated 10/100 switch. It's even lists the 4 LAN ports as 10/100

    on the
    > >back of the unit, but when I show interface it shows the following:

    > The docs say that it has Ethernet ports, but a 4 port 10/100 switch.
    >
    > I'd read that as 10 Mbit Ethernet ports out both sides, but if you
    > wanted to plug in 100Mbps devices into the switch, its not going to
    > degrade them from talking to one another down to the port speed it

    has.

    It shouldn't, but when I let the devices Auto Negotiate speed, they
    choose 100Mb and the router won't talk to them at 100Mb, only 10Mb.

    That means I have to manually set the speed on the devices. This is ok
    for most computers, but I have a DVR that doesn't allow me to change
    the port speed.

    I suppose I could put a 10Mb hub/switch in between the router's built
    in switch and the DVR, but thats kinda a rig. I'd think that Cisco
    would have a speed option in the IOS somewhere...

    Any other ideas?

    andyr, Mar 28, 2005
  4. andyr

    BSDBovine Guest

    If this is a SOHO91 it should have 2 ethernet modules not a 4 port
    switch. Do a show hard and it will tell you at the bottom what kind of
    interfaces you have

    IE
    ISCO SOHO91 (MPC857DSL) processor (revision 0x301) with 29492K/3276K
    bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FOC08520YKK (4255911535), with hardware revision
    0000
    CPU rev number 7
    Bridging software.
    2 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) <----- Right there
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    2048K bytes of processor board Web flash (Read/Write)

    BSDBovine, Apr 14, 2005
  5. andyr

    bob Guest

    I've got one of these SOHO91 ethernet routers and my interfaces show up as
    ethernet not fast ethernet, the built in switch on mine (which is eth0 if I
    remember correctly) runs at 10mb not 100. I've never bothered with the
    switch and run it directly into another 100meg switch for the lan.

    bob, Apr 14, 2005