Cisco Software Advisor - used for baselining software versions?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dhodgson7@gmail.com, Nov 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
    other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
    may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
    Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
    hope some of you may help me with.

    I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
    "Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
    device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
    a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
    software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
    as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
    that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
    for my hardware?

    Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
    and not 12.4?

    After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
    differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
    requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
    your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
    before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
    System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
    minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?

    thanks folks
    Dave

    , Nov 22, 2007

  2. writes:
    >I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
    >other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
    >may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
    >Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
    >hope some of you may help me with.

    Yep, it and Feature Navigator are where you want to be.

    >I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
    >"Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
    >device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
    >a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
    >software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
    >as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
    >that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
    >for my hardware?

    >Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
    >and not 12.4?

    12.4 is only recomended in limited deployment. 12.3(x) mainline is for
    general deployment.

    Cisco is pretty conservative for their software recomendations.

    >After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
    >differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
    >requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
    >your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
    >before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
    >System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
    >minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?

    Yes, newer and newer images require huge amounts of more memory.

    Its not necessarily Flash that is limited, but also DRAM in the box.

    12.4 probably requires maxing out your 3640 in DRAM for most feature sets.
    Looks like IP only gets away with *only* 64M of DRAM installed.. :)
    Some early 3640's probably shipped with 16M of DRAM and 4M of Flash....

    Doug McIntyre, Nov 22, 2007

  3. Merv Guest

    On Nov 21, 10:26 pm, wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
    > other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
    > may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
    > Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
    > hope some of you may help me with.
    >
    > I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
    > "Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
    > device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
    > a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
    > software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
    > as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
    > that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
    > for my hardware?
    >
    > Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
    > and not 12.4?
    >
    > After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
    > differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
    > requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
    > your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
    > before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
    > System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
    > minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?
    >
    > thanks folks
    > Dave

    Be careful with these recommendations.

    Cisco will try to always recommend the latest release which of course
    requires the most memory, etc, etc

    You may have no need for any of the features in the recommended
    release.

    BTW all of these new features have TONS of bugs which may also impact
    base functionality.

    In the "old" days one could usual pick a GD realease (General
    Deployment) and be done with it; those days are long gone...

    I have witnessed many a network engineer impaling themselves by going
    with the latest and greatest IOS release.

    Just consider how painful it will be to back out a faulty release once
    you have implemented it one 50 or 100 routers

    Merv, Nov 22, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Nov 22, 3:11 pm, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > >I am about to go through a major upgrade program in my company as per
    > >other posts. I've been crawling the cisco website to find tools that
    > >may help me doing this. I've cam accross a tool called the "Software
    > >Advisor", it's pretty cool but I have some questions about it that I
    > >hope some of you may help me with.

    > Yep, it and Feature Navigator are where you want to be.
    >
    > >I use the "find software compatible with my hardware", I then select
    > >"Enter your hardware configuration using show command output from your
    > >device", I copy and paste my "sh ver" and "sh diag", it then tells me
    > >a version of software for my device. Now is this the "recommended"
    > >software I should use as it's "Compatible" with my hardware, as long
    > >as it doesn't contain any bugs (that I care about) or lacks features
    > >that I need? So can I use this for setting baseline software versions
    > >for my hardware?
    > >Why does a 3640 only get recommended a 12.3(17c) version of software
    > >and not 12.4?

    > 12.4 is only recomended in limited deployment. 12.3(x) mainline is for
    > general deployment.
    >
    > Cisco is pretty conservative for their software recomendations.
    >
    > >After I ran the advisor on one of my devices it gave me a couple of
    > >differnet versions of software, I then get the message "This image
    > >requires more memory than currently (as per show version) installed on
    > >your device. If you select this image, please upgrade your memory
    > >before upgrading to it" The "show version" shows "31360K bytes of ATA
    > >System CompactFlash (Read/Write)" which is equivilant of 30.625MB. The
    > >minimum flash is 32MB, for the selected image, do I not have 32MB?

    > Yes, newer and newer images require huge amounts of more memory.
    >
    > Its not necessarily Flash that is limited, but also DRAM in the box.
    >
    > 12.4 probably requires maxing out your 3640 in DRAM for most feature sets.
    > Looks like IP only gets away with *only* 64M of DRAM installed.. :)
    > Some early 3640's probably shipped with 16M of DRAM and 4M of Flash....

    Thanks Doug,

    but what about this warning about the flash? Do you think I have 32MB
    flash and it's just not reporting correct in the "sh ver"?

    Dave

    , Nov 22, 2007
  5. Thrill5 Guest

    The Cisco Software Advisor is the most worthless tool Cisco has ever come
    out with. To me, it should tell you what version of code and what feature
    set you need when you feed your hardware and specific features you need.
    Instead, you have to tell it what specific features you want, and what
    feature set you have. Seems very backwards and stupid to me. If I knew the
    feature set I needed, then I wouldn't be using it in the first place. This
    tool has been around for years, and I don't think they are ever going to fix
    this glaring (to me anyway) omission in how the tool works.

    Thrill5, Nov 23, 2007