    depend on CSA, so ultimately, the blame for not being able to deploy Vista is
    Microsoft's fault (according the Cisco). Will Microsoft ever do anything to
    remedy this situation?
    Dave W, Jul 21, 2008

  2. No way can Microsoft be blamed for Cisco's inability/unwillingness to make
    their app work on 64-bit. I'm sorry, but that one's just WAY too big a
    stretch.

    That being said, one workaround you might consider is running a 32-bit OS in
    a virtual machine on your 64-bit workstation. I know that works for many
    applications that have problems in 64-bit, including Cisco VPN clients, as
    we've discussed on this NG several times.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    Cisco Security Agent is an Intrusion Detection system, plus the newest
    version adds antivirus. So, since the purpose is to protect a workstation,
    running it in a VM is not an alternative. I have it from top Cisco Engineers
    that Microsoft is to blame for not releasing enough information to make this
    app run. Apparently, Microsoft thinks that releasing this info will expose
    more security vulnerability within the 64 bit version of the Windows OS (this
    is one major advantage of the 64 bit OS over the 32 bit OS). However, the 64
    bit OS does not contain any kind of Intrusion Detection software on the level
    of Cisco Security Agent. CSA is integrated tightly into Cisco's routers and
    hubs architecture to provide a more complete network defense. Anyway, that
    is Cisco's response. Was wondering if I could see a Microsoft explanation?

    Dave W, Jul 22, 2008
  4. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    Does anyone know how I could ask Microsoft this question without incurring a
    $250 per hour charge?

    Does anyone know of any Intrusion Detection (host based) client that runs on
    Vista 64? Cisco claims there are none because Microsoft has not opened up
    the right API's yet.

    Dave W, Jul 23, 2008