    TIA

    Syd
    , Apr 21, 2009

  2. bod43 Guest

    On 21 Apr, 12:20, wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have queried the above OID and in the MibBrowser I get strange
    > characters.
    > Is that normal cos the underlying data is in hex or is it indicative
    > of a corrupt entry in ios?
    > Version of ios looks OK I think.
    > Cisco IOS Software, 1841  Version 12.4(5b)
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Syd

    You could -
    Look up the mib and see if the data should be binary. The data
    type is defined there.
    Capture the traffic with say wireshark and see if the data is good.

    At a wild guess sounds like the MIB bowser has
    a problem and the above could confirm that.

    If you are lucky you might identify some of the characters'
    ASCII code as being valid address octets.
    http://www.asciitable.com/

    Here is someone else with a similar problem.
    http://www.mail-archive.com//msg03031.html

    My suggestions above don't seem very helpful now. I won't
    delete them but I am now out of my depth. No idea if the same
    variable is allowed to return different types or not. Not sure if
    the "Hex-STRING" and "STRING" monikers are transported in the
    snmp message (coded or literally) or derived from the MIB on
    the receiver.

    From the article above:-
    Looks like these *may* be from the same device.

    CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::
    rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1074791634
    = Hex-STRING: 20 31 38 CE
    ...snipped..
    CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::
    rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1075839698
    = STRING: " \"H."

    Probe ID Probe Dest. IP TOS Value
    ...snipped..
    1075839698 32.34.72.46 104 (COS2)

    [space][escaped-double-quotes][H][.]
    backslash is the escape character it seems.

    [space] = 32
    " = 34
    H = 72
    .. = 46

    No idea if this will help but it's written now:)
    bod43, Apr 21, 2009

  3. bod43 Guest

    On 21 Apr, 14:33, bod43 <> wrote:
    > On 21 Apr, 12:20, wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > I have queried the above OID and in the MibBrowser I get strange
    > > characters.
    > > Is that normal cos the underlying data is in hex or is it indicative
    > > of a corrupt entry in ios?
    > > Version of ios looks OK I think.
    > > Cisco IOS Software, 1841  Version 12.4(5b)

    > > TIA

    > > Syd

    > You could -
    > Look up the mib and see if the data should be binary. The data
    > type is defined there.
    > Capture the traffic with say wireshark and see if the data is good.
    >
    > At a wild guess sounds like the MIB bowser has
    > a problem and the above could confirm that.
    >
    > If you are lucky you might identify some of the characters'
    > ASCII code as being valid address octets.http://www.asciitable.com/
    >
    > Here is someone else with a similar problem.
    > http://www.mail-archive.com//msg03031..html
    >
    > My suggestions above don't seem very helpful now. I won't
    > delete them but I am now out of my depth. No idea if the same
    > variable is allowed to return different types or not. Not sure if
    > the "Hex-STRING" and "STRING" monikers are transported in the
    > snmp message (coded or literally) or derived from the MIB on
    > the receiver.
    >
    > From the article above:-
    > Looks like these *may* be from the same device.
    >
    > CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::
    > rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1074791634
    >  = Hex-STRING: 20 31 38 CE
    > ..snipped..
    > CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::
    > rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1075839698
    >  = STRING: " \"H."
    >
    > Probe ID     Probe Dest. IP   TOS Value
    >  --------------------------------------------
    > ..snipped..
    > 1075839698   32.34.72.46      104    (COS2)
    >
    > [space][escaped-double-quotes][H][.]
    > backslash is the escape character it seems.
    >
    > [space] = 32
    > " = 34
    > H = 72
    > . = 46
    >
    > No idea if this will help but it's  written now:)

    It seems that this MIB variable is rather flexible since the
    RTTMon facility supports different address families (e.g.
    IPX, Appletalk etc.). The variable will need to be interpreted
    differently for each.
    bod43, Apr 21, 2009
  4. alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > I have queried the above OID and in the MibBrowser I get strange
    > characters.

    Presumably it's a hex representation of whatever address you're echoing. For example:

    Target here is 192.168.105.2:
    $ snmpget -v2c -c x -m CISCO-RTTMON-MIB 85.x.x.x rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1052
    CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1052 = Hex-STRING: C0 A8 69 02

    Target here is 192.168.105.3:
    $ snmpget -v2c -c x -m CISCO-RTTMON-MIB 85.x.x.x rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1053
    CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1053 = Hex-STRING: C0 A8 69 03

    Target here is 192.168.104.2:
    $ snmpget -v2c -c x -m CISCO-RTTMON-MIB 85.x.x.x rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1042
    CISCO-RTTMON-MIB::rttMonEchoAdminTargetAddress.1042 = Hex-STRING: C0 A8 68 02

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    15:51:13 up 137 days, 17:02, 4 users, load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.07
    alexd, Apr 21, 2009