    While NTP Version 4 is the latest and preferred version of NTP, Cisco
    routers currently only support through Version 3.

    , Mar 2, 2005

  2. Brad Guest

    Mine smell ok.

    Brad, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    More Stinky yet

    Some low-end Cisco routers, don't support the full NTP protocol. They
    support only a stripped-down version called SNTP. SNTP is a client-only
    version of NTP and can be configured with the sntp server command.

    , Mar 2, 2005
  4. Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > More Stinky yet
    >
    > Some low-end Cisco routers, don't support the full NTP protocol. They
    > support only a stripped-down version called SNTP. SNTP is a client-only
    > version of NTP and can be configured with the sntp server command.

    That's why they are LOW-END. They are not intended to be ntp servers at
    the first place.

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Guest

    Low end Routers even do not support peering NTP +o(

    , Mar 2, 2005
  6. Guest

    ntp server XXX version ?
    <1-3> NTP version number

    , Mar 2, 2005
  7. <> wrote in message
    > While NTP Version 4 is the latest and preferred version of NTP, Cisco
    > routers currently only support through Version 3.

    How many version do you need to tell the time ?
    and is time important on a router ?
    I can only think of syslog timestamps, which is given by the recieving
    server anyway, and maybe if you run IPSEC.

    /Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Martin Bilgrav wrote:

    [only SNTP 3 on small CISCOs]

    > and is time important on a router ?

    Maybe someone has only clients in the LAN, which are not able to run a
    timeserver, and which are not allowed to use NTP to the "wild" internet.
    If so, and if time is very important, then a separate time-server or a
    better CISCO would be the solution.

    > I can only think of syslog timestamps, which is given by the recieving
    > server anyway, and maybe if you run IPSEC.

    For these purposes SNTP is enough. I am happy with my CISCO 831 SNTP 3
    catching time from my high availabilty time server cluster in the LAN,
    accurate ~1 millisecond to UTC.

    Helmut Wollmersdorfer

    Helmut Wollmersdorfer.at, Mar 3, 2005
  9. "Helmut Wollmersdorfer.at" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe someone has only clients in the LAN, which are not able to run a
    > timeserver, and which are not allowed to use NTP to the "wild" internet.
    > If so, and if time is very important, then a separate time-server or a
    > better CISCO would be the solution.

    Are you sayin that Microsoft client are able to time sync from Cisco time
    server ?
    If so you need a 3rd party NTP program on every client ...
    would be better to timesync against something else

    Martin Bilgrav, Mar 3, 2005
  10. <> wrote in message
    > While NTP Version 4 is the latest and preferred version of NTP, Cisco
    > routers currently only support through Version 3.

    What does NTP 4 have that NTP 3 doesn't that would be useful for a router to
    have? Cisco perceives no customer demand for NTP 4. What does BTP4 add?

    Phillip Remaker, Mar 3, 2005
  11. On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:08:31 +0100, "Martin Bilgrav" <> wrote:

    ~
    ~ "Helmut Wollmersdorfer.at" <> wrote in message
    ~ news:CHBVd.99018
    ~ > Maybe someone has only clients in the LAN, which are not able to run a
    ~ > timeserver, and which are not allowed to use NTP to the "wild" internet.
    ~ > If so, and if time is very important, then a separate time-server or a
    ~ > better CISCO would be the solution.
    ~
    ~ Are you sayin that Microsoft client are able to time sync from Cisco time
    ~ server ?
    ~ If so you need a 3rd party NTP program on every client ...
    ~ would be better to timesync against something else
    ~

    Indeed the Windows (W2K/XP) time client can sync to a Cisco IOS NTP
    server. This uses built in code (the w32time service), no add on software
    needed. http://www.gudeads.com/english/main-windows-ntp.htm

    Btw, the reverse is not true - IOS NTP (but not SNTP) is generally unable
    to sync to a Windows w32time server (due to our 1000ms limit on root
    dispersion - see CSCed13703. The workaround in that case is indeed to
    replace w32time with "standard" NTP (we recommend
    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/hints/winnt.html .)

    Cheers,

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Mar 3, 2005
  12. Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <HrIVd.10997$>,
    Phillip Remaker <> wrote:
    >What does NTP 4 have that NTP 3 doesn't that would be useful for a router to
    >have? Cisco perceives no customer demand for NTP 4. What does BTP4 add?

    A brief summary is in the NTP Version 4 Release Notes

    http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Misc/ntp-4.0.99a/release.htm

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Rod Dorman, Mar 3, 2005
  13. "Aaron Leonard" <> wrote in message
    > ~ Are you sayin that Microsoft client are able to time sync from Cisco

    time
    > ~ server ?
    > ~ If so you need a 3rd party NTP program on every client ...
    > ~ would be better to timesync against something else
    > ~
    >
    > Indeed the Windows (W2K/XP) time client can sync to a Cisco IOS NTP
    > server. This uses built in code (the w32time service), no add on software
    > needed. http://www.gudeads.com/english/main-windows-ntp.htm

    Is this something you personally have tried and experienced ?
    Cause I have a C1605, running NTP server syncinf to outside NTP server.
    My win2k clients are not able to sync towards this router.

    regards
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Mar 4, 2005
  14. "Martin Bilgrav" <> wrote in message
    > Is this something you personally have tried and experienced ?
    > Cause I have a C1605, running NTP server syncinf to outside NTP server.
    > My win2k clients are not able to sync towards this router.

    never mind - I looked into it and now I can sync towards the router.
    Hmm - when I tried this some time back, I was not able to do so... Strange
    Did something change in IOS code or win2k fixes ?

    Martin Bilgrav, Mar 4, 2005
  15. On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:53:45 +0100, "Martin Bilgrav" <> wrote:

    ~
    ~ "Martin Bilgrav" <> wrote in message
    ~ news:yeVVd.102926
    ~ > Is this something you personally have tried and experienced ?
    ~ > Cause I have a C1605, running NTP server syncinf to outside NTP server.
    ~ > My win2k clients are not able to sync towards this router.
    ~
    ~ never mind - I looked into it and now I can sync towards the router.
    ~ Hmm - when I tried this some time back, I was not able to do so... Strange
    ~ Did something change in IOS code or win2k fixes ?
    ~

    I dunno, the only time I tried getting W2K w32time NTP client to
    sync to an IOS NTP server, it worked fine. The IOS NTP server hasn't
    changed in any way that would be relevant to this issue in a long
    time, so I doubt it was an IOS change.

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Mar 4, 2005
  16. Martin Bilgrav <> wrote:
    > Hmm - when I tried this some time back, I was not able to do so... Strange
    > Did something change in IOS code or win2k fixes ?

    Maybe at that time the router itself was not synchronized? I'm using
    two external NTP servers for synchronization, but from time to time
    I see that router lost time sync.

    --
    andrei

    Andrei Ivanov, Mar 4, 2005