    Mark J Guest

    Which model of Cisco router (not Linksys) would work best with a cable
    modem? Is it possible?
    Mark J, May 30, 2006

  2. Mark J

    Kirk Goins Guest

    Most cable modems output is Ethernet, ANY router cisco or not with a
    Ethernet port should to the job...

    Kirk Goins, May 30, 2006

  3. Mark J

    NextLevel Guest

    Mark J wrote:
    > Which model of Cisco router (not Linksys) would work best with a cable
    > modem? Is it possible?

    Yes, it is possible. I personally use a 4500m for cable and 1750 for
    dsl. Once you get the configs right, its a breeze.
    NextLevel, May 30, 2006
  4. "Mark J" <> writes:
    >Which model of Cisco router (not Linksys) would work best with a cable
    >modem? Is it possible?

    Any number of cisco routers depending on your feature set requirements.

    You probably want something like the 851 or 871 though if you are
    looking for the next step up over Linksys (powered by Cisco :)
    Doug McIntyre, May 30, 2006
  5. Mark J

    stephan Guest

    yep.

    I used an 831 and an 871. Works fine.

    /bj
    stephan, May 30, 2006
  6. Mark J

    MC Guest

    stephan wrote:
    > yep.
    >
    > I used an 831 and an 871. Works fine.
    >
    > /bj

    new 1800 series are just for that prpose, just do not know the exact
    model number for your need but should be able to find out on Ciscos web
    site.
    MC, May 30, 2006
  7. Mark J

    Mark J Guest

    Thanks for the info everyone...appreciate it!

    Mark J, May 31, 2006
  8. Mark J

    bubba@kilcomp

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    23
    Here is a thought. I changed the firmware on a Linksys WRT54G router. There are now more parameters that can be tweaked. Supports up to 15 VLAN's and supports BGP,RIP V2, and OSPF routing protocols. I know it isn't a real Cisco router, but a Linksys costs around $50 to $60 and the firmware is opensource (DD-WRT). That could do the trick if you are only connecting it to a DSL/Cable modem.
    bubba@kilcomp, Jun 2, 2006